“Convenience” 4 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Monrovia Street & Muindi Mbingu, Nairobi 30425, Kenya   |
Ranked #45 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
“Convenience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Best location in Nairobi CBD.accessible and fairly priced.good food and rooms. Adequate security and internet is free.Transport to any place is arranged.best time to visit the masai mara for the wilderbeast migration and return to the city comfort hotel.

• Stayed September 2013

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I booked the Kenya Comfort Hotel for my first two nights in Kenya before departing for a safari. It was $88 when booking online through Booking.com and this included a hot sit-down breakfast in the morning. The breakfast consisted of fruit, juice, coffee/tea, cereal, eggs cooked any way, toast, sausage, bacon, and some sort of gourd. It wasn’t anything special (and if I was staying there alone, I would book those nights without breakfast because the breakfast added about $20 but I think if you buy it in person, it is cheaper, but also downstairs there is a restaurant next door that offers a croissant, coffee, and egg breakfast for 280 KSh. But I think it was convenient for someone that arrived late at night and didn’t have currency yet or were tired and not comfortable roaming around Nairobi. They were able to go straight down to breakfast when they woke up.

The room itself is small and pretty basic. We had budget rooms on the second floor which was convenient to a certain extent, because the hotel only has internet on the first floor at the desks next to the restaurant, though it claims to have wifi throughout the hotel. No big deal and the connection was strong on the first floor, but just don’t expect to use it anywhere else. The hotel does have an elevator and also has a lot of security guards, in addition to locked gates on each floor. You also must leave your room key with the desk on your way out of the hotel. There was reliable hot water for all of us during our stay, though the bathroom is super small and shower shoes would have been nice since the shower ‘stall’ is just a continuation of the bathroom floor with a drain in the corner. It was also very quiet at night despite some of the Trip Advisor reviews that mentioned that it was really loud at night outside. Though, we stayed there on a Monday and Tuesday night, so it could be noisier on a weekend. Also, the walls are very, very thin, so if you happen to have a loud person staying nearby – you will definitely hear it. Also the second floor rooms can be located above the kitchen, so ambient noise does start to pick up around 5:30am when they start to prepare the kitchen and restaurant for breakfast – but I was already up from jetlag and if I had been asleep then I don’t think I would have heard it. The bed did have mosquito nets, there was one power outlet, and the lights worked all night and during the day. The bedding was decently clean and towels were also provided in the room.

The staff were very polite and helpful, but their English wasn’t always the best, so maybe if you are a needy or anxious traveler, you would be frustrated by that. But they were able to book me a car when I needed it (they have a mini-fleet of cars on hand that were typically available in about ten minutes, though NOT the most reliable since sometimes for us the door didn’t work or maybe we still needed to get gas – so build in an extra 20 minutes when you need to book their cars to go somewhere, but the prices seemed fair – 3000Ksh to go from the hotel to the airport, wait and page passengers, and then return back to the hotel).

There is a Western Union, several ATMS, a few small restaurants, and a Nakumatt where you can buy SIM cards, airtime, snacks, and batteries if needed. There is also a post office within walking distance right off Kenyatta Avenue.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I searched on net and decided this hotel only because of its excellant location. It is in the real heart of business district and all places are accessible nearby by walk I booked through Expedia.com and so there were no hassles. When I arrived, receptionist courteously took my passport for a copy and gave me the keys of room.
Rooms are ok. I stayed in a single budget room as just needed to stay for a night. However the security is very tight. It seemed like a fortress where at each pace and at each entry point & floor you have locked gates. So they gave me 3 keays - one for opening gate just out side lift, another to open door to enter the gallery of floor and third of my room. Also there is one security staff always 24x7 on each floor.
Food in the restaurant is good I just took breakfast.

Room Tip: Try to take/choose a room on the front side because then you can see the road outside. If room is in...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Nairobi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I've stayed at Kenya Comfort Hotel a few times despite my reservations about the place which i've decided to share here.
The rooms themselves are thoroughly bland in their appearance and presentation and the en-suite shower and toilet are just about clean and "habitable", so to speak!
At $70 a night for a basic (no TV - no point in opting for the TV as the channels available are not worth watching!) single room, it's not cheap but $5 cheaper than Sandton Palace which I've also reviewed here. The rooms are a reasonable size for one person but I know that the doubles are not appreciably bigger, so couples would find them claustrophobic.You get a small table which I suppose substitutes for a desk, and the in-house wireless internet is ok for emailing and browsing web-pages but not for streaming video if you have opted for no TV...!
Hot water supply is hit and miss - either get up early and hit the showers before the majority of guests have done so or lie in late and hope there's some left!
The worst aspect of the hotel is the exposure to environmental noise. If the chamber-staff are having a conversation at the end of the corridor, you can clearly hear them despite a closed door. I was also woken at 4am by loud crashing and banging, along with chatter, from what I assumed was the kitchen but could have been from one of the establishments that the hotel backs on to.
The restaurant serves a basic menu and I enjoyed the bacon and egg sandwich but I wouldn't recommend it for ambience and decor.
The location is probably the best aspect of the hotel, along with the friendly and helpful reception staff. Having said that, despite having paid for 2 nights in advance, I was somewhat harrassed by a manager who kept asking me to pay up...!

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms that overlook the rear of the hotel as this is where the early morning racket com...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Leuven, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

What's good:
+ early morning stay concept: arriving at 4 AM, costs 45$.
+ restaurant with very good food (breakfast wasn't that much early in the morning, better later in the morning).
+ safe way to pay by visa/mastercard
+ straight forward help at the receptiondesk (which has sooooo many people behind it!)
+ bedsheets, towels included
+ clean room
+ banks, supermarkets and travel agencies in the surrounding
What could be better:
- lack of late evening stay concept, staying until 1 AM would also cost 90$, whilest they can rent the room on early morning stay again?!
- very very noisy, we stayed in two different rooms, earplugs are really needed.
- very very pushy people on the streets, you can't step 2 meters without being harased. People do get annoyed if you don't want to join them to their shop whatsoever. We found this very tiredsome.
- not much to do in Nairobi, no advise at the reception on what to do.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cergy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Arriving at Nairobi at night, we booked this hotel because of its central location, so as to get our 4WD in a nearby agency and start our Safari toward Mara on the early morning the day after.
We paid 90$ for twin beds with breakfast.
Let's be honest it's a shame!
The room is 10m2, aged and depressing.Ugly and tiny bathroom.A small TV on the high corner of the room (like in hospitals) was not working.Drunk people talking out loud until 2am down the street.There's a windows above the door of your room so as you can benefit from the corridor light all the night.Help!!
The only thing we wanted was to get away quickly from this place in the morning.
The owner is only making money with the location of the hotel.Nothing else.This kind of rooms shoulf be no more than 40$.Again it's a shame
Our advice: run away!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
kchensuites, Director of Sales at Kenya Comfort Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Cleanliness and a high standard in operations are a management priority.

Now with regards to your sentiments on pricing. The rate you paid was $ 45 pp bed and inclusive breakfast for a budget room. This rate includes 23% taxes and translates into $ 36.50 per person inclusive of room and breakfast and free Wi Fi, security and other overheads.

Operation costs are fairly high in Kenya with very high power costs, very high interest rates, general costs and a high component of expensive imported goods. In our opinion, the rate you paid is extremely fair as $ 45 in a first world country may not even pay for one sit down meal.

In the future, we will install soundproof windows to minimize the street noise level and which is an improvement which we are prioritizing.

Alternatively, the top floor is much quieter with spacious rooms and a complimentary mini bar. We welcome you to return to stay with us and sample the superior room and which are only $ 57.50 per person sharing Bed and Breakfast double.

In general we market ourselves as a smart value or budget hotel and when we travel also, it is difficult to find clean value accommodation in best locations for anywhere near the $ 45 per person you paid and are extremely concerned about what we feel are unrealistic expectations of visitors on costs when they visit Kenya.

Operations Director
Lagos, Nigeria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Kenya Comfort Hotel is a 'no frills' hotel that makes no pretence to be anything other than that.
Surrounded by far more expensive hotels in the busy central business district, I stayed on the sixth floor in a superior single room with breakfast included for 80 Dollars and a complimentary bar comprising a bottle of water, apple juice and a can of Castle stout. The room was small but clean; same as the toilet which was a combined shower with toilet bowl and sink separated by a shower curtain.The breakfast wasn't great but the wifi was free and excellent throughout. I was told I would have to deposit a refundable 24 Dollars before I would be given the remote control to use the air conditioner but I declined as I spent all of daylight out of the hotel and at night, the room was cool enough to sleep in without any discomfort.
Overall, I got what I paid for, no pleasant or unpleasant surprises. A cheap and clean place to stay especially if the plan is to spend the minimum time inside the room.

Room Tip: The cost difference between a budget single room with breakfast and a superior single room with bre...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Kenya Comfort Hotel? Share your experiences!