“Decent place with excellent security” 3 of 5 stars

Kenya Comfort Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Monrovia Street & Muindi Mbingu, Nairobi 30425, Kenya   |
Ranked #48 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Zurich, Switzerland
“Decent place with excellent security”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

This hotel which is impeccably managed has better marketing than prices but provides very safe rooms and a good restaurant. The instant showers are hot and the hotel also has several conference rooms and a tea area which is convenient for meeting guests.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

As a single older female traveller I have stayed here about 10 times. I feel secure and always get a great welcome and am recognised. The rooms are small but clean and comfortable enough, not great for working in but I usually am only staying 1 or 2 nights. Good food available without pre-booking and they are flexible enough to permit paying room only to save wasting money on breakfast for very early morning starts. I have never had a problem either with checkiing in at odd times. Taxis can be called by staff to ensure you know what you are getting. Can be a bit noisy but it is the city centre and very convenient! About them being helpful - I once left my passport at the airport and the reception staff went out of their way with help and sympathy. Internet facilities not great but do mostly work and are very cheap. Overall good value for money.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
North Shore City, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We booked this place as post accomm after our camping safari, thinking anything will be an improvement. Our first room was a huge let down, it wasn't tiny but once we'd unpacked it was too small. Bathroom was tiny and after a shower was entirely wet and slippery. About an hour after check-in (completely unpacked and showered) reception phoned and said they had to move us as our toilet was broken (not). We were initally reluctant as it would mean repacking everything, but after looking at the new room, we moved straight away. It was on the 6th floor and was twice the size (bathroom was huge too), had a tv, table/chairs, fridge (that worked) and king size bed (with mosquito net). Basically a bad room had turned into an good room. Doors were really flimsy and didn't keep out any sound. There was a hasp on the door which enabled you to put your own padlock on which didn't fill us with much confidence, but we had no security problems and the doors to each level are locked so unless you're staying on that floor, you can't just walk in. Bed was comfortable and shower was good. Tried to make a phone call from the room but you have to go down to reception. It was noisy so couldn't hear well, and then got cut off as the phone cord broke! Not impressed, and can't understand why a hotel these days can't provide that service.
Staff were friendly, although initially they couldn't find our booking, and then at breakfast said that it wasn't included in our rate (sorted quickly). Bar staff were friendly, and it was nice to sit out on the balcony supping Tuskers. Location was central, taxi service right outside the door - at first glance the taxi looked awful and we were reluctant but ended up phoning the same guy the next day to take us to Giraffe centre & Elephant Orphanage for a good rate.
Overall, it was fine, wouldn't stay there again and I'm sure you could get a better deal at a nicer place....BUT saying that there were no huge issues and the upgrade made the experience much better.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Espoo, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

I was here four nights in May 2010. I liked the place much: rooms were clean, staff was very helpfull and friendly and good food. This hotel was a walking distance from Nairobi center, but no matatus were passing it by. For some negative thing was that our room was guite loud in the evenings because under my window was a car wash-service which played music all day long. But nights were peaceful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Bolton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Stayed here 3 different Nairobi nights between trips throughout Kenya. awesome central location, very security oriented, banks, fast food, mall all next door. Walk to downtown business area very safe during days. Cool rooftop sun lounge with great view of city. VERY friendly and helpful ladies at front desk and security people. Stored our baggage for free last day. Can be bit noisy - ask for room on interior court side. Excellent value for money compared to other places including the one that GAP adventures recommended as part of our trip. Would definitely stay there next time in Nairobi.

Room Tip: ask for rooms on interior court quiet side, on floors 5 and 6
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I have been living in Nairobi and chose the Kenya Comfort Hotel for my family to stay at when they came to visit. I actually ended up making three separate reservations - for the few nights before we went on safari, one night in between safaris, and their last night before flying home. I asked if I was required to leave a credit card number on file and was told we could pay upon arrival. I also left my mobile number in case of any issues.
A few days before they arrived I went to the hotel again just to confirm my bookings were listed. They let me look in their reservation book, and I saw that our name was clearly written for each night.

The first two times we stayed at Kenya Comfort, we were all pleased. We enjoyed the location and the room was spacious and clean. The staff was friendly and I always felt secure. Unfortunately, in the mornings there was a great deal of noise from the adjacent supermarket loading dock but it was not unbearable.

The night before my family went home, we returned late at night to find that our room was occupied and the hotel was full. We were also given the line about having to pay in advance to secure the room (refer to a few older reviews for similar stories), but when I told them I was told I did NOT have to pay upon making the booking, I got some flimsy excuse about the employee not understanding the rules. Like another reviewer here, I would agree that the staff were completely unapologetic about this. They told me they had a group that had booked the room for an extended stay. Obviously, rather than risk losing several nights' profit from telling them they would have to leave for one night, they simply gave them the room and told us we were out of luck. At the very least, the staff should have held another room for us after knowingly giving away ours. We ended up staying at their sister hotel - a hideous experience that I will also be reviewing!

Why was I not told, on any of the FOUR separate occasions I confirmed our bookings, that we needed to secure with payment? Why did no one call me to say our booking would not be honoured? I am extremely disappointed but I can't say I'm surprised - it's not the first time a Kenyan hotel gave me the run around. I would warn anyone visiting Kenya that customer service is an evolving art here. Maybe the manager's rebuttal to this post is coming, but I hope Kenya Comfort can stop making excuses and simply improve their customer service.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
kchensuites, Manager at Kenya Comfort Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
I have carefully gone through and scrutinized both your reviews, whose facts I would like to clarify.
Firstly, I believe that you are widely travelled and as such you are fully aware of the booking and reservation concepts worldwide “whenever you do a room reservation and don’t pay for it, the booking remains tentative, it will only be blocked if you make a down payment further reservations without payment can be sold if one doesn’t show up between 6.30 to 7.00 pm latest. You returned late at night, what if you didn’t show up at all and the room was kept for you without payment? May be that is why you encounter some issues with Kenyan hotels. Our sister hotel is located in upmarket at suburbs of Milimani and currently undergoing extensive renovations rooms are not dingy with gaping holes though rooms you were allocated are yet to under go renovations. Since I believe you stay in Kenya I request you to come and pin point the holes expenses paid.
The exposed wiring in the lobby is one of the construction requirement in conformity with the laid down government procedures of occupational health and safety act 2007 for safety of the guests staff and other occupiers of the premises.
The bed without mosquito net was as a result of your needs since you were a family and it was your decision to share a room we had to fix an extra bed but if you could have raised the issue with the duty manager, then you could have been given a separate room without any problem.
All meals in the restaurant are freshly prepared. All our rooms are fitted with hot instant water showers and if you don’t correctly regulate the flow of water then you are bound to get wrong water temperatures.
Besides we run a fairly good forum of sorting out our guest issues as we have a 24 hour duty manager and all other senior managers are on call if one feels dissatisfied.
port stanley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

1st of all the price is 60 dollars a night. Expedia charged 102 plus tx 18%.....
Not a nice place...not a safe neighborhood...not condusive to a decent nights sleep. We paid less for the Hilton and the Hilton rocks!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Kenya Comfort Hotel? Share your experiences!