“Nice room, but overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Kenya Comfort Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Monrovia Street & Muindi Mbingu, Nairobi 30425, Kenya   |
Ranked #60 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Alexandria, Virginia
“Nice room, but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

Kenya Comfort is a decent place, and the rooms are pretty nice, but it simply isn't worth the high price, not when there are several decent cheap hotels within two minutes' walk where you can get a reasonably comfortable room for less than half the price. You'll hear the same traffic noise, loud music, and drunken revelry every night, no matter where you stay in this area, so you might as well save some money while you're at it -- Kenya Comfort's rooms are certainly nicer than those of their neighboring backpacker-budget competitors, but not so much nicer as to justify the much higher price.

I liked my comfortable bed, and the nice bathroom with all-new fixtures. I liked the friendly desk staff. There is a restaurant which looked good, but I did not eat there and can't say whether the food was good. I think if they knocked about ten bucks off the price of a room, Kenya Comfort would be a better option.

If you are looking for a room downtown and want something a little nicer than what you'll get at the cheap backpacker places, I think Kenya Comfort might be a good choice. If you're on a budget, though, I don't think this place is worth the extra money.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

Stayed here for some "comfort" after volunteer work, to try and wind down and see what the city had to offer. The hotel itself is a good getaway from the bustling city with fantastic security (24 hour guards). We had a double room on the second floor, which was an adequate size with a mosquito net, decent fan and a cheeky little wardrobe stuck away in the corner. There was a bedside table and desk, which were useful to throw our possesions on. The shower had constant hot water and was cleaned everyday, as was the toilet. However the shower was interesting as you did have to squeeze yourself in if you didnt want the shower curtain to be your cape! Although, beggars can't be choosers!
The road adjacent to the hotel was quite noisy, with building works and nightlife, so maybe try and get a room that isnt facing the main road. However, the noise wasn't sufferable.
Downstairs had very good wifi connection and computers for those without laptops etc. The bar was a really nice hideaway, with cheapish drinks and satisfied any football viewing needs! As for the restaurant, the food was adequate and the prices mid range, but to be fair it was a big menu with a good variety of African and International.
Overall a very good stay and although slightly over our price range, it was a nice little treat for the couple of nights we had there! Thankyou to all the staff for a lovely welcome!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
usa, usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

Don't kid yourself - you're not going to get a hotel you really like in Nairobi without paying through the nose. You won't enjoy staying at Kenya Comfort, but you won't hate the place either. YOu will be consoled by the fact that there is very little in this price range in Nairobi (around $50).
You can request a room away from street noise. It is very convenient for catching the shuttles to Arusha that leave from across the street. There is a large 24 hour Nakumatt half a block away. Security is good.
After a uneventful stay here on arrival, I thought I would try to find a 'nicer' place at a similar price when I returned to Nairobi. I booked at Impala Hotel in Westalnds after reading some reviews that seemed like it might not be too bad. It was a complete disaster site and I happily paid the cab fare to return to Kenya Comfort in town.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Last summer in vacation I decided to go at safari park of Kenya. I found the website www.bestkenyatravel and contacted through info@bestkenyatravel.com.

There they have a package within it wildlife seeing and stay in the hotel named Kenya comfort hotel. I was amazed so much after going there that the travel agency is giving a great opportunity to have a site seeing with wild life, 3 days cost of hotel and the other accommodation costs. But in my opinion you have to give much money for getting better service. So I’m suggesting that you should consider and remember about the cost of the travel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

I chose to stay at the Boulevard hotel, although it was a bit above my price range (the price quoted by my tour company was $95US & prices were similar online) as this was the adjoining point for my tour which left early the morning after i´d flown into Nairobi airport. However, when i arrived i was surprised to be told the price had gone up to $130US, which was extortionate for a hotel of this standard & my room didn´t even have aircon & i had a terrible nights sleep with the fan on! In europe i could have stayed in a 5star luxury hotel for less than this (having travelled around europe also).

I also had a problem with one of my US $ notes not being issued after 2004 & the hotel said they couldn´t accept this. Being on a budget & having limited funds, this was not a good start to my holiday.

However, when i returned from my tour i stayed at the Comfort Hotel which was a 2star but more than adequate for my needs & at $55 for the night, including breakfast, was much more affordable & i would recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget. It was only a short taxi ride from the Boulevard hotel or you could walk it in about 10mins. Being a solo traveller i was a bit wary of my safety & would not have walked alone perhaps but getting a taxi was fine.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Kiev, Ukraine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

We stayed at this hotel just becouse I thought it was inexpensive and its close proximity to the city center. The front desk staff were the most unfriendly ladies I ever met, they just have this negative attitude about guests. They held onto our passports all night because they said their photocopying machine was not working and they still needed to make copies of our passports. They said they will bring our passports to our room, but they did not. I felt terrible leaving our travel documents to strangers in a foreign country. I went to the front destk at 5 A.M and found the two ladies sleeping at their desks and asked to have our passports back, they woke up with this attitude like I just disturbed their sleep. We checked out right there and then.Very rude staff!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
kchensuites, Manager at Kenya Comfort Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
Dear Sir

We apologize for what happened, to put the records straight. It is a government policy that we take copies of all our in house guests identification documents. This is one of the security measures to curb the high risk of terrorism threats experienced globally.

Our copier machine was being serviced but unfortunately it took longer than required, by then our staff had an opinion that you had gone to bed and thought not to disturb you instead to deliver your passport early morning hours.

We are truly sorry for our staff attitude and the discomfort you were subjected to. Appropriate action has been taken to correct this. The delay has been caused by you not posting your name or check in date.

John Kiriama
Manager
Iqaluit, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

I stayed here two nights while traveling solo in Kenya. The staff were very welcoming and friendly on arrival. My room was on the 5th floor, at the back of the hotel. Not much of a view but also away from most of the street noise. While small, the room was clean and comfortable with a TV and hot water. Each floor has a locked door and each room has double locks (in addition, you can padlock your door while you are out). There is a restaurant on-site (although I did not try it out) and an internet cafe on the second level.

The hotel is within walking distance of downtown (about 10 minutes) and there is a Nakumatt on the same block (a grocery store - handy for picking up snacks & water, or other essentials). They also arranged for a taxi to take me to the airport at 5am - the driver was courteous and on time. At that hour, there wasn't much traffic and the drive took less than 20 minutes.

Overall, this hotel was exactly what I was looking for: friendly, no-frills, a good price, and near downtown.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Been to Kenya Comfort Hotel? Share your experiences!