“A nice enough hotel - but nothing special.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Silver Springs Hotel

You added Silver Springs Hotel to your Saves list
Silver Springs Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Valley Road & Argwings Kodhek Road, Nairobi, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Ranked #31 of 145 Hotels in Nairobi
UK
“A nice enough hotel - but nothing special.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

I stayed at the Silver Springs hotel in September with some colleagues.
My room (a superior room) was clean and comfortable, with fully working aircon. However some of my colleagues weren't so lucky with faulty aircon making their rooms hot and stuffy.
The rest of the hotel facilities are wrapped around the swimming pool, which was clean but the water was very cold! Even after 20 mins in the water swimming I still felt cold.
The hotel does a buffet every night - I recommend getting the stir fry guy to cook you something fresh!
Main consideration for hotels in Nairobi would have to be proximity to where you need to be - the traffic around the hotel (as in many parts of Nairobi) was pretty bad every day. You can walk into the city centre from the hotel, a 30 minute downhill walk, but the busses coming up the hill belch out black diesel smoke which isn't very pleasant!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

I stayed in a standardroom, the room was old and dingy. the mosquito trap in the room did not work and they had a can of spray for the mosqutios in the room that was empty. i turned on the water in the shower and the first out pour of water was brown.
the hotel was construction which is a good thing because the hotel does need remodeling. the hotel staff was very nice but the price for staying there was a bit expensive for this type of room, I paid 10500.00 shillings. I had lunch at the hotel and the dish i ordered was not very good either. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Nairobi hotels

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

We spent approximately seven nights over the course of two weeks at the Silver Springs in Nairobi, our hub for excursions while in Kenya. Our expectations were that this was a higher-end hotel, based on the room rates and all of the photos we had seen prior to arriving. We stayed in three different rooms, all surprisingly unique in terms of cleanliness and condition (no "standardization" between similar room types). A hearty buffet-style breakfast is included at the on-site restaurant, but the dinner buffet was quite pricey.

Our biggest annoyance was the rules in place for use of the amenities. For example, the fitness room was only available to us for limited hours (something like 10 am to 12 noon and 2 pm to 3:30 pm) and free wireless internet access (code-based) was only available for a 24 hour period, no matter how long you stayed there!! For what we were paying per night, we did not expect these sorts of restrictions. Also, housekeeping consistently brought only one bath towel and one hand towel per day to our double room (??).

All in all, not quite what we were expecting for the price we paid.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gsa_and_av
Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

We spent a week in this hotel - the staff in general are very friendly and helpfull, but.. We paid around 150 euros per night and the room was very, very basic and dirty. I had blood stains on my sheets..! the shower didn't work properly, couldn't even was my hair cause the pressure was so weak. We wanted to have a late check-out, but apparently the hotel was fully booked, so they couldn't extend the check-out time even until noon instead of hidious 10am. On day of my departure I was very stronly suggested to take a "day-room" so that I can "relax and freshen-up" before my flight. The room was supposed to cost 6000 shillings, but instead it was over 10 000 shillings. I was so tired that didn't want to make a fuss about it. Got the room around 2pm, went to check it and it wasn't ready i.e. they were renovating it. Floor was dirty, there were no adapters or towels - or towel curtain.. and a nice bonus was that the renovation was going on in the room next to mine, so no hope of sleeping with the constant banging.

So really bad experience. Especially of what it comes to the room rates. I discussed with a guest who had paid 60 dollars for night in similar room as what I had for 150 euros. And the few hours rest after all the hazzle with the staff & finally when I almost managed to get some sleep, the cleaning lady came and wanted to hang the shower curtain.. and they still charged me almost 100 euros despite of the fact that I didn't have the room until 5pm. Nice one! So if you have to choose between sleeping outside or in Silver Springs, then go SS!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank AM8062
Reading, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I last stayed at the SS in the early 1990s when it was not at its best. This trip, in March 2010, was a revelation. The hotel is more than adequate for business and there's that nice sense that the management are trying to get it as good as they can.

Room was nice, not noisy, with free internet. Good mattress, easy to sleep. Food in the restaurant above average.

But the nicest thing was the staff: friendly and helpful, attentive & professional.

We had a meeting there and the room and arrangements were fine.

WEll worth considering if you are staying in Nairobi.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

Stayed here one night when I first arrived in Kenya, and did not venture far from hotel, so I think it was a decent location, but can't fully vouch for this.
Cab ride from airport was $25 for about 40 minute ride.
Stayed in the standard rooms, which were good in terms of cleanliness and value.
Breakfast was good, coffee at coffee shop was decent.
Hotel was quiet, safe feeling, hot water in the shower. The suite rooms in the other wing of the hotel looked beautiful.
Would stay here again if I go back to Nairobi.
Staff was helpful, but there were a few times I had trouble understanding the front desk person and there was no one around to help us clear up our communication problems. But oh well, it was no big deal.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

The hotel has seen better days. Perhaps some rooms on some floors are better renovated than the ones we stayed in (two visits, different rooms). Our rooms were very basic. A fan in one room, nothing in the other. Lacking in any kind of charm, but if you can get a really cheap price and only want a place to sleep, then Silver Springs would be OK. The buffet meals were quite OK, not fabulous, but enough variety to please most tastes. There is a pool, but it was too cold in August to use it. Nairobi is a jumbled city, so I am not sure where would be considered to be a good location.

• Stayed August 2009