“Run down” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Silver Springs Hotel

You added Silver Springs Hotel to your Saves list
Silver Springs Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Valley Road & Argwings Kodhek Road, Nairobi, Kenya (Upper Hill Estate)   |
Ranked #41 of 115 Hotels in Nairobi
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Run down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here the first night of our Kenya trip. The rooms were small, cramped, and the air conditioning did not work. Additionally, our room overlooked the parking lot where there was traffic much of the night as well as loud voices that disrupted our much-needed sleep after a long flight. However, that being said, the food was good and the staff incredibly helpful. Their IT guy was able to help get the Safaricom service running on my iPad which enabled internet access throughout most of the trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Eustus, General Manager at Silver Springs Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you very much for the feedback.
Your sentiments on the room have been well received and on behalf of the management, I am pleased to inform you that a lot of improvements and renovations have and continue to be done on the old rooms.
We also have a new wing of rooms which are of world class quality. We invite you to come and have a look next time you are in town. I am sure you will be happy with the improvements and will enjoy staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We spent one night at The Silver Springs before going on safari. It is an average, business-orientated hotel located relatively centrally in Nairobi. The rooms are on the small side but clean and tastefully decorated, although the whole hotel could benefit from a little refurbishment. The management were very helpful and professional. The buffet breakfast was very good.

This hotel is fine for one night as a stop over but I would not stay here for a prolonged period of time as it lacks any character and the rooms are small.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kampala, Uganda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I just got back from Nairobi, where I spent 5 days at the Silver Springs hotel. I was in Nairobi on business and this hotel was recommended by my client. After reading some of the reviews on TA, I was not sure this was the place for me, but in the interest of saving face with the client I did.

Now let me start with the positive, which many reviewers have already mentioned. The hotel staff are wonderful, although I was not too keen on the security wand, which greeted me each time I entered the hotel. The breakfast and dinner buffers were very nice, food was always hot, tasty and there was a wide selection. The room was clean and comfortable, although the bathroom was dated and could use some upgrades.

The worst thing about the hotel were the mosquitoes which woke me up every night at about 3AM, causing me to take the can of insect repellent provided by the hotel and fumigation myself in my battle with the mozes, I had nowhere to go to at that hour, and so desperately needed sleep. I wish the hotel offered a turn down service, where they would spray the room, while I was downstairs enjoying the lovely buffet.

I also had some challenges with the WIFI as well, from the room, but would recommend the hotel for business and not for vacation, I still love my 5 stars for holidays.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Au, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed here twice, when coming into Nairobi and on the way out after a photo safari. We had no expectations. We were quite pleased. There service was excellent, from the minute we entered the security gate, a nice thing. The management, wait staff and the security were sharp and professional. The buffet was a nice surprise with a wide variety of both Kenyan an international fare. The architecture and interior design while seemingly old, but spotless. although we were tourists, The hotel appeared to be sought after by business and business conferences and society.parties. At night. the pool was dream like. On arrival to Nairobi, our room was located toward the front of the hotel and was spartan, but clean and fresh. When leaving, our room was in the back of the hotel and was storybook mix of African and European decor, replete with a beautiful marble bath. The location appeared to be relatively close to the airport, as opposed to downtown. Traffic is gridlock. We will recommend the Silver Springs Hotel and will sty there again upon return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Centurion, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

In Nairobi (as in Dar or Kampala), smart travelers choose hotels on the basis of location as much as anything else because of constant traffic gridlock. If you want to be on the western side of the city (Upper Hill area, on the way to Karen) and are looking for good value, try the Silver Springs Hotel. It was new when I lived in Nairobi more than 30 years ago. Now it seems a bit faded and seems to cater primarily to groups. But for the business traveler, it offers good value for money – particularly the “superior rooms,” which are a bit larger and nicer than the standard rooms but still priced well given Nairobi’s expensive hotel rates.

Staff are friendly, but sometimes need reminding to follow through on resolving problems. Nice, large pool if that’s important, plus a gym on the property to which guests have free access at certain hours. Wireless very spotty in the rooms, but OK in the public areas, and there’s a business center. The restaurant serves a large and varied buffet for lunch and dinner. It’s actually not bad for a hotel buffet, but it does get old after a while – and unless you want to walk down the block to a mediocre Chinese restaurant or a decent coffee house (the Java House chain) you’ll have to take a taxi to try something different. In that case I recommend going to the Junction shopping center, 15-30 minutes further out of town with several restaurant choices (my favorite being the Mediterraneo).

The Silver Springs is where I usually stay in Nairobi.

Room Tip: "Superior" rooms worth the extra money.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Entebbe, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Silver Springs is quite a beautiful place. It's clean, neat and the staff (security, waiters and management) are very friendly and welcoming. The waiters especially make sure I am shown where to sit and regularly check to see that I have a drink or need anything. The food is very hot and very sumptuous, they serve an array of cuisines ranging from traditional Kenyan to international. The salads are fresh and the dessert is worth talking about! I must say I enjoy the live music as I have my lunch, I love it; though I think the band needs to get a drum kit and drummer because using preset beats from the keyboard can be tricky to pull of sometimes. That aside, I recommend Silver Springs if you have a business meeting or even just need to have lunch for two or one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Food that the waitress said would take 20min took 45min to prepare. The french fries were burnt. The meats were OK. The waitress was even shocked that they had chicken tikka sandwich on their otherwise limited menu. We asked to speak to the manager and had to leave half an hour later not having spoken to him/her and without any information on his/her whereabouts. The best was the 15min it took for our drinks to get to our table. It could have been longer just that we opted to go collect them from the bar and even after complaining to the bartender all he had to say was 'let me open the sodas.' Nothing like 'Just sit I will have them brought to you' OR 'I will personally bring them.'

The Executive Spa on the other hand were absolutely professional, excellent customer service and definately value for our money!

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Silver Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!