“I should have believed the reviews” 2 of 5 stars

Kivi Milimani Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Milimani Road | P.O.Box 20681, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #80 of 115 Hotels in Nairobi
Babylon, New York
“I should have believed the reviews”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

Started a trip where the meeting place was this hotel and figured for convienence I would start at his hotel too. After reading the reviews, I figured people were just being picky and I would give it a try.

Got there at 6:30am on the morning we were supposed to arrive. They gladly allowed us to go into our room early and then we ran out with our tour guide for the day. After a busy day we returned and the next day enjoyed the amenities of the hotel.

Amenities: Beautiful pool and grounds. Surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the city. No noisy city sounds. A nice quiet hotel. Restaurant at the hotel including food service by the pool. Hotel included a nice buffet breakfast which included an omlette bar and choices of hot and cold dishes.

One day after returning from breakfast (and being awoken by the housekeeper) we realized our room was not even cleaned, just the drapes opened. Not that we cared, but this was proof later that someone was in our room and my friend had had a large sum of money stolen from her.

Besides the hotel being a perfectly reasonable hotel, I would hope they would try to resolve this issue. After meeting with our tour guide my friend tried to speak with the manager who assured us that he would be checking who was on the cleaning schedule. We left the next morning but were throughly shaken by the incident. Following up with phone calls from our guide were not returned and my friend never recouped her money.

We were never encouraged to put our money in the safe (in lobby) which I don't prefer anyway..would much rather use a room safe.

So in the future....enjoy your stay here..just lock up your stuff and put any valuables in their safe (but who knows it if really will be safe..)

Would I stay here again: heck no!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Princeton, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I had two nights at this hotel. It was basic and clean, without any bugs and issues. It is in a safe, good neighborhood of Nairobi within walking distance of downtown. It was a little expensive ($100 USD) per night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The hotel is far from the city center with facilities in pretty bad shape. I stayed only one night before my intrepid trip began. The room was decent but the toilets were quite bad. No wifi in the rooms. For intrepid travelers, and for one night, it is something you can live with. The outside are was quite nice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Rockhampton, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

The lovely foyer at the Kivi Milimani Hotel set me up to expect a beautiful room. It wasn't. It was very average. But I was only using it for a bed before and after my Intrepid tour. And I have stayed in worse. But the staff were perfect. So polite. Spoke excellent English. Recommended great restaurants. And organised everything to my wishes. Even sent me out with a driver/bargainer to go shopping.
So thanks Kivi Milimani. I appreciate it

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Darwin, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Do yourself a favour and book somewhere else! If it wasn't for the Intrepid tour, I would have never stayed here. I stayed at the hotel for a total of 4 nights. It was atrocious, the room smelt of vomit!! I waited 2 days for washing, where on the 2nd day I was told that my washing was lost. Went down to the reception and they never delivered it because I hadn't paid... If I had of known this I would have paid upfront. The showers were cold and poor pressure...following your cold shower, you'd dry yourself off with a mangy towel with rips in it. The sound from the lift was deafening- I had a room a long way from the lift and it woke me up during the night. The toilet would flush once and you would have to wait a long time for it to fill up again. It's by far one of the worst places I've stayed in the world. Do yourself a favour and spend the small amount of cash extra to stay at the Hilton. I caught up with friends and ate dinner there and it was delicious. Kivi was OVERPRICED and DISGRACEFUL!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Galle, Sri Lanka
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I turned up a night early as I had an intrepid tour meeting the next day and it was critical I had Internet to Skype home due to family circumstances back home. The rest was less important but this was a non negotiable. I checked in and paid the $100US for the night. I walk into the room to find the carpet looked liked someone had been murdered or given birth on it. Not a great start but I've been to India (granted its a lot cheaper!!) but I could handle that. The important part was the internet which did not work until 2pm the following afternoon despite every time I asked being told it would be an hour. This wasnt a call to Skype grandma it was an urgent mater that I reiterated when booking. So I give up and try watch tv but the antenna cable box had been smashed off so basically the tv did not work at all!! So without Internet or even tv (first world problems but I had the discussion with reception prior to booking for a reason) I tried to go to bed only to have the lift grinding up and down all night so I didn't get an hours sleep all night! If you could imagine an industrial bin being dragged around a car park and you're sleeping in the middle of that car park then that's what this was like. I'm not a whinger about rooms usually but this was out of control. I accept TIA and things but if you want to change a western price at least have some attempt to provide a western level of stay. This was $20 a night accomodation at best. I have regional acceptance of the places travel to but in upwards of 80 countries I've visitd this is by far the worst value for money hotel I've ever been. The only ones worse were in India where I was paying $2-3 per night so it was to be expected. Intrepid should be ashamed that they endorse this dive. STAY ANYWHERE ELSE YOU CAN!!!! EVEN SLEEP N THE SUDE OF THE ROAD, IT COULDN'T BE MUCH WORSE!!! MANAGEMENT SHOULD BE SACKED. RANT OVER.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stayed for two nights, one at the start of the tour and the other at the end. The first night was simply atrocious, the sink emptied directly onto the floor flooding the bathroom, the noise from the lift was deafening and to top it off somebody walked into my locked room while I was sleeping!!

The return trip was a lot better, the room was nicer (comparatively speaking) and there were no real problems - except for the price: US$120!!!!

Oddly enough the pool and bar area is actually quite reasonable, I would have thought the money would have been better invested on the rooms. If Intrepid ever stops using the hotel they're in serious trouble.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere if you want a good room