“It is bad, but you will survive it” 2 of 5 stars

Kivi Milimani Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Milimani Road | P.O.Box 20681, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #88 of 130 Hotels in Nairobi
Frankfurt, Germany
“It is bad, but you will survive it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The hotel is far from the city center with facilities in pretty bad shape. I stayed only one night before my intrepid trip began. The room was decent but the toilets were quite bad. No wifi in the rooms. For intrepid travelers, and for one night, it is something you can live with. The outside are was quite nice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Rockhampton, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

The lovely foyer at the Kivi Milimani Hotel set me up to expect a beautiful room. It wasn't. It was very average. But I was only using it for a bed before and after my Intrepid tour. And I have stayed in worse. But the staff were perfect. So polite. Spoke excellent English. Recommended great restaurants. And organised everything to my wishes. Even sent me out with a driver/bargainer to go shopping.
So thanks Kivi Milimani. I appreciate it

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Darwin, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Do yourself a favour and book somewhere else! If it wasn't for the Intrepid tour, I would have never stayed here. I stayed at the hotel for a total of 4 nights. It was atrocious, the room smelt of vomit!! I waited 2 days for washing, where on the 2nd day I was told that my washing was lost. Went down to the reception and they never delivered it because I hadn't paid... If I had of known this I would have paid upfront. The showers were cold and poor pressure...following your cold shower, you'd dry yourself off with a mangy towel with rips in it. The sound from the lift was deafening- I had a room a long way from the lift and it woke me up during the night. The toilet would flush once and you would have to wait a long time for it to fill up again. It's by far one of the worst places I've stayed in the world. Do yourself a favour and spend the small amount of cash extra to stay at the Hilton. I caught up with friends and ate dinner there and it was delicious. Kivi was OVERPRICED and DISGRACEFUL!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Galle, Sri Lanka
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I turned up a night early as I had an intrepid tour meeting the next day and it was critical I had Internet to Skype home due to family circumstances back home. The rest was less important but this was a non negotiable. I checked in and paid the $100US for the night. I walk into the room to find the carpet looked liked someone had been murdered or given birth on it. Not a great start but I've been to India (granted its a lot cheaper!!) but I could handle that. The important part was the internet which did not work until 2pm the following afternoon despite every time I asked being told it would be an hour. This wasnt a call to Skype grandma it was an urgent mater that I reiterated when booking. So I give up and try watch tv but the antenna cable box had been smashed off so basically the tv did not work at all!! So without Internet or even tv (first world problems but I had the discussion with reception prior to booking for a reason) I tried to go to bed only to have the lift grinding up and down all night so I didn't get an hours sleep all night! If you could imagine an industrial bin being dragged around a car park and you're sleeping in the middle of that car park then that's what this was like. I'm not a whinger about rooms usually but this was out of control. I accept TIA and things but if you want to change a western price at least have some attempt to provide a western level of stay. This was $20 a night accomodation at best. I have regional acceptance of the places travel to but in upwards of 80 countries I've visitd this is by far the worst value for money hotel I've ever been. The only ones worse were in India where I was paying $2-3 per night so it was to be expected. Intrepid should be ashamed that they endorse this dive. STAY ANYWHERE ELSE YOU CAN!!!! EVEN SLEEP N THE SUDE OF THE ROAD, IT COULDN'T BE MUCH WORSE!!! MANAGEMENT SHOULD BE SACKED. RANT OVER.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stayed for two nights, one at the start of the tour and the other at the end. The first night was simply atrocious, the sink emptied directly onto the floor flooding the bathroom, the noise from the lift was deafening and to top it off somebody walked into my locked room while I was sleeping!!

The return trip was a lot better, the room was nicer (comparatively speaking) and there were no real problems - except for the price: US$120!!!!

Oddly enough the pool and bar area is actually quite reasonable, I would have thought the money would have been better invested on the rooms. If Intrepid ever stops using the hotel they're in serious trouble.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere if you want a good room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

stayed there in February 2013 in order to pick up a tour starting there. They were good about picking us up in the middle of the night from the airport. Also, the same couple drove us around the next day. We paid but it was not over the top. The pool area is tropical and nice as is the bar off the pool. The rooms are 1970s Soviet bloc. Thin walls, concrete and utilitarian. Very thin. The hotel is gated so you do not go out at night except in a cab. They surprised us with a Valentine's Day dinner. If I could afford it, I would stay at a more upscale place if I am ever back in Nairobi. The local ex pat community uses the bar so there are interesting people there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

As with many people I was staying here at the beginning of an intrepid tour. The prices are really high for an average room and facilities but Nairobi is an expensive place to stay in general so when compared with what else is available it is kind of standard prices. The rooms on the fifth floor are ok and have supposedly been refurbished (I can only wonder what an original room must be like!). The tv didn't work and the balcony door fell apart as the porter tried to open it.

The staff are nice, and friendly and the wifi works pretty well. The pool is nice and the surrounding gardens are lovely.

Overall the hotel is not great but ok for a night

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo