“Standard Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 92 hotels in Nairobi
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Standard Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed here as part of a safari tour. It is a standard hotel, the rooms are basic but clean. breakfast is basic but adequate. Nice garden and pool area. Good location for city centre. Staff were helpful. I looked at booking an extra night but glad I didn't considering the price. hotel down the road was better value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've stayed at the Kivi Milimani hotel apartments for a month or more on 3 previous occasions, the latest being in the summer of 2013. Although I have returned a few times because of the location, it is way overpriced for what you get. I stayed in the hotel apartments and surely they haven't been renovated since the hotel was opened in the 60's or 70's. I paid about US$550 in 2009, this year I paid nearly US$800 for a room with no tv, intermittent electricity, and no renovations. Yes, the location is great - quiet, safe, lots of nice old trees, close to the state house, and in easy walking distance to the CBD. However, the rooms just don't feel that clean when you see how old they are. I was glad for the daily housekeeping, but I always had to wear sandals because it just never felt clean enough. The oven/stove/cooker was old, old, old!!! As was the refrigerator. I requested different ones, and they brought "better" ones from an empty apartment to replace the ones that were in the apartment that I was renting. The hotel should put up mosquito nets in each room; I got malaria in 2009 from the mosquitos coming in through the door cracks and windows. This year I bought a net and had the housekeepers put it up for me and I think that the hotel should provide nets.
There is sooo much potential for this hotel; I often daydreamed about buying the hotel and totally renovating and modernizing it. The gardens are beautiful and I really liked spending time near the pool and eating from the hotel restaurant in the garden patio. The food is pretty good and a good price, though a little slow. The general staff are friendly, but the management is quite poor with little customer service skills. I will not return unless I am totally desperate!

Room Tip: The main hotel rooms had a generator for when the power went out (3-4x a week), but the hotel apartm...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Windhoek
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The garden of Kivi Milimani is excellent there is always something new, but oh my, the rooms have furniture that dated from the 70's The mattresses are very bad. One cannot have a good nite's rest. The carpets are so dirty that one's feet are getting dirty by walking on it. The bathrooms are in shambles. The breakfast are the same for the last three years. Really, its time to get from the past to the present and do something. You have such a fantastic location. The front office Manager of August, a woman, was so unfriendly. She would walk past me as a guest and just looked at me as if the cat dragged me in there What happened to the African Hospitality???????? Please put somebody at the front office who has better customer care skills and can at least smile!!!!!!!! Nevertheless, the personnel in general are friendly and helpful, though the restaurant services are slow.

Room Tip: All rooms in the Hotel are POOR. Its time for a refurbishment guys
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two separate nights as part of an overland trip.

It isn't the plushest of hotels but I really didn't mind it. The rooms are very dated and do vary but on the plus side are bright, large, clean and have comfortable beds and a balcony which would be great when the weather is warmer. Our second night was spent in room 410 which had a newer looking bathroom and what looked like a new shower with lots of hot water. The other room had a darker more dated shower with warm rather than really hot water.

There is a nice looking pool although it was too cold for us to swim and a bar for drinking. There's also a nice leafy terrace area where you can have a drink outside.

We ate in the restaurant twice. Food was okay, the fish and chips in the evening was quite nice but be prepared to wait a long time. I think we waited for about an hour on both occasions.

There is a lift but it is a bit clunky and old looking so I used the stairs when I wasn't carrying any bags.

There is a laundry service which our friends used and told us that it was very expensive so maybe not the best place to get it done.

On the plus side, the staff were all really friendly and let us store a bag of things we didn't need for our trip in their store room for 2 weeks.

There was no safe in our rooms so we left valuables in a bag with the reception staff whenever we went out and there were no problems.

The hotel also arranged a taxi to collect us from the airport which was on time.

There is wifi although you have to pay for it and on our second night we could only seem to access it from reception. There is also a desk where you can change money.

It is a fair way out of town but that is good if you are starting a trip as the traffic in the centre of Nairobi is very bad. There are a couple of restaurants nearby that our friends went to and recommended. The hotel will also arrange taxis for you.

Breakfast was included and was fine. There's a selection of hot food plus a man that will make omelettes for you.

There are probably nicer hotels for the same price in Nairobi but if you are starting an overland trip from here its worth staying the extra last night or the night before your trip here if only since that's where most of your fellow travellers will be to go out for a final meal etc.

Be aware that overland companies block book rooms. When we were trying to book an extra night the hotel website kept saying it was fully booked but we could book the extra night through our company.

• Stayed August 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

The only reason we stayed at this hotel was because it was part of the intrepid package. Very basic rooms with terrible showers! Little to no hot water with very little water pressure. The the beds were comfortable although was a bad nights sleep as the elevator could be heard from down the hall. Being such an old building the elevator made a horrific noise everytime it was in use and kept waking us most of the night.

We ate at the restaurant for lunch and then dinner the same day. What we got for lunch was delicious but we ordered the buffalo wings for entree and I ordered an orange juice, 20 mins after ordering they came out to inform us the were no buffalo wings available or juice. That didn't bother us to much.
For dinner we ate there again. I had ordered pork cordon bleu, my friends a steak and chicken caesar. Approx 15mins after ordering they came to inform us there was no steak at all available so my friend ordered the pork cordon bleu as I did.

When the meals came out my meal was far from a cordon bleu, was closer to a tough steak with a dark brown sauce. Was disgusting to be honest and hideously tough. The other cordon bleu ordered was something completely different to mine, still not what was ordered but was just a plain pork snichtezl. The chicken ceaser came out with chicken pieces, tomato, capsicum, onion and bread pieces...no lettuce and no dressing?? Although it was listed in the ingredients on the menu, very strange.

If you do stay here I strongly advise you eat elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Where to start with his hotel? Slow check in, vile rooms, no hot water, security issues (everything should be kept in the safe) inedible food, wifi which moves at a glacial pace, over priced laundry service and a lift which should be sent to the scrap yard. I think that captures everything.

Room Tip: Ask to be as far from the lift as possible
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights between a combination trip with Intrepid. We took the advice of another review on here and booked next door at the Heron for the night before our trip commenced; we shouldn't have wasted our money. This hotel is fine- after a week in the bush it is luxury! The room was large, bright and airy. Shower was hot. Beds have white, good quality linen and are comfortable. Pool area is nice. Only downside is the food - it is crap. We've had two lunches, a dinner and a breakfast and each time the food has been disappointing. Overall, quite good and if its your assigned accommodation for an Overland trip just go with it and save your money!

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Kivi Milimani Hotel? Share your experiences!