“Okay for one night” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #76 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Stuttgart, Germany
“Okay for one night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel is okay for one night. The rooms were neglected, the bathroom looked filthy (but in fact, it was okay- it was just very old not dirty). There was hot water and power supply. The pool area was nice, the service very friendly.
If you arrive in Nairobi and need just a place to sleep, the Kivi Millemani can do.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed here in combination with tours booked through Intrepid. While the rooms aren't fancy, they are comfortable, have TV, wifi and hot water. The rooms are nicer if you ask to stay on the 4th or 5th floor, but then you have to use the old creaky elevator (I still took the stairs). The locks are questionable, as mentioned by other reviewers, so it is recommended to keep valuables in the safe behind reception.

The reception staff are friendly and accommodating and I was able to leave valuables in the safe for up to 2 weeks while on different tours. The internet is expensive, but it isn't slow. The restaurant food is good, but if you order in a large group, expect it to take a very long time. The breakfast buffet included in the price is plentiful and I didn't have any problem with freshness of the food.

The location of the hotel isn't really near anything, but is about a 20 minute walk to the city center. There is a bar on location and a pool. I did not swim, but enjoyed several afternoons by the pool in the serene environment.

The hotel has had better days, but for the price and the location, it's really not that bad.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the 4th or 5th floors and as far from the elevator as possible.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights. It took ages to check in and for them to find a room. When we got an assigned room and that as we were in Nairobi it rained a lot, every night I could not get to sleep because the walls were so thin. The rooms don't look anything like the pictures on Tripadvisor so I was let down (not that they look nice on Tripadvisor). The locks didn't work very well so anyone could of just come in and steal anything.

When my family and 2 other families were waiting by the pool and we ordered food and we had to wait what seemed like 2 hours for our food to come. The breakfast were awful and there was basically no choice, my daughter and I tried the pancakes and they tasted old and hard, the pineapple tasted tinned and the beans tasted like sea water.

The pool was being cleaned which was nice to know, because my children and my friends families were too. My friends families were staying near the elevator and they always complained about the noise and water dripping from the roof dripping on the the plastic roof cover, I listened for myself and it was very noisy.

Overall it was not a very enjoyable stay and luckily I wasn't staying very long.

Room Tip: Don't choose one by the elevator it is awfully noisy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We arrived early morning expecting a long wait for a room to be ready. But staff found us a room very quickly. Manager even introduced himself. Money exchange and wifi available, food OK. Rooms a bit tired but fine for an overnight stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Of course the hotel has not been upgraded since its opening, and yes it can seem expensive for what it is, but it's Nairobi and it is very decent pricing for the city.
It must have been a beautiful hotel when it opened, now , well it's ok.
There was running and hot water in the bath room, yes the hotel may need a bit of paint here and there but it's not dirty nor unhealthy. Reading some of the previous review i was really dreading to stay there, but in the end it was good.
Service was very good, waiters were very professional and helpful.
The Garden is definitely the best asset of the hotel, and in summer (was there in February) spending the evening in the garden for diner or sundowner is great! The pool is also very nice for a Hotel this central.
Bad point for wifi access, which was too expensive, but apparently working well. That would be a quick fix management should consider.

Room Tip: Make sure they check that the water pump and boiler actually work as you enter the room, and if you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

On my first trip to Kenya I'm not sure what to expect although based on the neighborhood it seems the Kivi Millimani is a nice hotel by their standards. It's gated and guarded, a few doors down from the President's mansion (President of Kenya).

The grounds themselves are quite lovely. There is outdoor seating with umbrellas for food or lounging, a decent pool and lawn for sunning, and a very friendly staff.

However, the rooms are a bit dumpy even for my "I can sleep anywhere" standards. It was do-able but people used to higher standards may have issue. My first room was shared with a friend and was "modern" in that the hot water heater was in the shower so you could pump up the hot water fairly quickly. But there was obvious water damage on the floor as the tiles were bubbled and pealing off the floor. I had to move to my own room (darn snoring) and the staff was very accommodating - above and beyond. However, the new room I was given had a broken dead-bolt and I no longer felt safe. The hot water machine was outside the bathroom and the toilet was constantly running.
I tried a third room but it wasn't much better - that lock was gone entirely and the bathroom was the same.

It's quite popular, mostly because it is a stopping off point for Intrepid Tours so it's a quick stop for tourists. The locals appreciate the garden/pool area as there was a wedding party during my stay. Once I put the bathroom out of my head I absolutely enjoying my stay.

You'll need a cab driver's number to be able to get around as this is a very suburban area and not something to walk at night. The food is so-so (breakfast was fairly awful aside from made to order eggs).

There is a computer/internet room where you can buy access that is fairly reliable. The kind staff makes up for any shortcomings and do their best to meet the high Intrepid Traveler occupancies.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have balconies facing the pool. Rooms around 314-316 had more modern hot water hea...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

We were extremely apprehensive about staying here for our night before the serengeti tour after reading the recent reviews and was almost desperate to change hotels but now after staying one night, I found it not so bad; adequate, in fact.

What one can do is ask for one of the new rooms when staying. We did this and were put on the fifth floor with splendid views and a clean, neatly presented room. The sheets had some stains impregnated into the fabric but, hey, it's a hotel. I have experienced worse.

The shower was an electric one with temperature and pressure controls. Ensure the red button is switched on before using as this turns on the heat. It's a little noisy but it serves its purpose well.

One electrical outlet didn't seem to work but we found two that did where the TV was.

With regards to security, the lock to the door was simple and used an old style lock and key. We brought along with us a door lock which you can purchase from any travel store. This made is feel a lot more secure. There was also a guard on our level who monitored the floor at all times.

The lift is very noisy but works fine, even though it may give you a little fright at first.

My only downside was that there was a very loud music party going on next to us until 2am which was a bit of a hindrance since we had to be up by 5am for our safari. But I believe this downside was out of the hotel's control (I.e. not a hotel sanctioned party) and is all part of the sounds of Nairobi at night.

All in all, much better than I expected. As usual when travelling to countries like this, always be alert, keep your wits about you and use common sense. Never leave unattended valuables lying around or it will be taken. Always keep all your valuables on you at all times and you will be fine.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Kivi Milimani Hotel? Share your experiences!