“It sufficed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #78 of 102 Hotels in Nairobi
Chicago, Illinois
“It sufficed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

On my first trip to Kenya I'm not sure what to expect although based on the neighborhood it seems the Kivi Millimani is a nice hotel by their standards. It's gated and guarded, a few doors down from the President's mansion (President of Kenya).

The grounds themselves are quite lovely. There is outdoor seating with umbrellas for food or lounging, a decent pool and lawn for sunning, and a very friendly staff.

However, the rooms are a bit dumpy even for my "I can sleep anywhere" standards. It was do-able but people used to higher standards may have issue. My first room was shared with a friend and was "modern" in that the hot water heater was in the shower so you could pump up the hot water fairly quickly. But there was obvious water damage on the floor as the tiles were bubbled and pealing off the floor. I had to move to my own room (darn snoring) and the staff was very accommodating - above and beyond. However, the new room I was given had a broken dead-bolt and I no longer felt safe. The hot water machine was outside the bathroom and the toilet was constantly running.
I tried a third room but it wasn't much better - that lock was gone entirely and the bathroom was the same.

It's quite popular, mostly because it is a stopping off point for Intrepid Tours so it's a quick stop for tourists. The locals appreciate the garden/pool area as there was a wedding party during my stay. Once I put the bathroom out of my head I absolutely enjoying my stay.

You'll need a cab driver's number to be able to get around as this is a very suburban area and not something to walk at night. The food is so-so (breakfast was fairly awful aside from made to order eggs).

There is a computer/internet room where you can buy access that is fairly reliable. The kind staff makes up for any shortcomings and do their best to meet the high Intrepid Traveler occupancies.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have balconies facing the pool. Rooms around 314-316 had more modern hot water hea...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

We were extremely apprehensive about staying here for our night before the serengeti tour after reading the recent reviews and was almost desperate to change hotels but now after staying one night, I found it not so bad; adequate, in fact.

What one can do is ask for one of the new rooms when staying. We did this and were put on the fifth floor with splendid views and a clean, neatly presented room. The sheets had some stains impregnated into the fabric but, hey, it's a hotel. I have experienced worse.

The shower was an electric one with temperature and pressure controls. Ensure the red button is switched on before using as this turns on the heat. It's a little noisy but it serves its purpose well.

One electrical outlet didn't seem to work but we found two that did where the TV was.

With regards to security, the lock to the door was simple and used an old style lock and key. We brought along with us a door lock which you can purchase from any travel store. This made is feel a lot more secure. There was also a guard on our level who monitored the floor at all times.

The lift is very noisy but works fine, even though it may give you a little fright at first.

My only downside was that there was a very loud music party going on next to us until 2am which was a bit of a hindrance since we had to be up by 5am for our safari. But I believe this downside was out of the hotel's control (I.e. not a hotel sanctioned party) and is all part of the sounds of Nairobi at night.

All in all, much better than I expected. As usual when travelling to countries like this, always be alert, keep your wits about you and use common sense. Never leave unattended valuables lying around or it will be taken. Always keep all your valuables on you at all times and you will be fine.

• Stayed February 2013
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is a dreadful hotel- it is even worse than anything seen on Fawlty Towers! The check in is chaotic and unbearably slow. It takes 20 mins to photocopy your passport and find your name in their system- if indeed it is even there! The restaurant service is incredibly slow- you can wait up to 2 hrs for meals to come out and then they do not resemble what was on the menu and staff try to overcharge you- so check the prices before paying.

The main issue though is theft- I assume an inside job due to the way the staff and security refused to investigate. I had money stolen from my bag $450US (which was locked). They are smart enough to take only some money, not all though, in the hope that it will go unnoticed. Filing a police report really riles them though...I wasn't allowed to use their phone to make the report so went next door to the Heron Hotel- stay there if you can afford it, it's lovely!!!

Many rooms have faulty locks or doors that do not close properly too- be really careful.

The ratings I am giving are way too high but there's no lower options- terrible all round! Oh yeah- and rooms near the elevator shaft are awful- it sounds like a dying elephant groaning all night long. My advice- you'd be better off sleeping in a gutter than staying at this hotel. Unfortunately my tour used this hotel and I had 3 terrible nights there.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel! Rooms near the elevators are noisy Room 416 has broken locks Balcony wi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Family friends of ours just very recently stayed here and had a terrible experience. One night they went out for dinner and came back an hour later to find that they had been robbed. We're still not sure what happened because the room door hadn't been tampered with so we suspect that one of the hotel staff was involved. They lost all their valuables (which had been locked up in their suitcases) and 10,000 USD cash. In turned out that adjacent rooms had also been broken into. If you have any valuables on you/bags, I would not recommend staying at this hotel. The hotel management of course did nothing about this incident, so not very helpful staff either.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here before our Intrepid tour in December. The hotel is run down, especially the rooms which are in a bad state. Do not leave any valuables in the room! I would advise anyone to stay in the Fairview hotel (5 mins away in a taxi & similar price). We had food in the Kivi Milimani - big mistake! Food poisoning for our entire group, was the result of this! It's a very basic hotel, but definitely don't stay here any longer than 1 night!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Zagreb, Croatia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed here for one night - before me Serengeti Trail trip. The room was big and clean. Nice view from balcony - tropical gardens and pool could be seen. Had TV but none of the programs could be seen clearly.
Water heater was 'hidden' in the closet - it was dripping some water for a while but It stopped eventually. (for hot shower - need to press the button by the water heater and wait for about 20-30 minutes before taking a shower).
In general, hotel looks like it needs renovation, but all in all we are in Africa in Nairobi so.. I wasn't expecting too much from this hotel so I wasn't dissapointed. As I sead, I stayed there for one night, but not sure if I would pick this hotel to stay for a longer period od time (week or so..)

The reception and a bar looks decently, big screen TV down there.

Best place to spend some time in that hotel is, I think, in the garden and by the pool. Take a cold one, sit back and relax.

One thing, don't wait to change your money in that hotel, the rates are 'not to good'.

Wi-Fi is being charged (I think 300 Ksh for 1hour - but you don't have to use it all at once, you can simply log off after you've done checking your e-mail so in that way you'll stop the 'timer'.. and continue using wi-fi later or the next day..).

Location of the hotel is a bit .. well.. isolated.. You are not 'that far' from the city center (about 500 Ksh taxi drive to the center) but since the hotel is surrounded with a fence, and guarded with man with weapons.. you know, you kinda don't want to go for a walk or something.. If you decide to go out of the hotel - use taxi

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I only stayed 1 night but the bed was clean and comfortable. The overall Hotel is a tad shabby with the need for some paint, but the reception, bars and convention rooms are all well presented. The tropical gardens and pool are magnificent.
Staff are friendly and service is great. The room was quiet and clean but the bathroom needed a renovation - although everything worked. The Hotel is well located and an easy 15 minute walk to Nairobi CBD.

Room Tip: I had a room on the 5th floor and had a view, albeit of adjoining premises it was quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Kivi Milimani Hotel? Share your experiences!