“Not recommended!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #78 of 103 Hotels in Nairobi
Cork, Ireland
“Not recommended!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here before our Intrepid tour in December. The hotel is run down, especially the rooms which are in a bad state. Do not leave any valuables in the room! I would advise anyone to stay in the Fairview hotel (5 mins away in a taxi & similar price). We had food in the Kivi Milimani - big mistake! Food poisoning for our entire group, was the result of this! It's a very basic hotel, but definitely don't stay here any longer than 1 night!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Zagreb, Croatia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed here for one night - before me Serengeti Trail trip. The room was big and clean. Nice view from balcony - tropical gardens and pool could be seen. Had TV but none of the programs could be seen clearly.
Water heater was 'hidden' in the closet - it was dripping some water for a while but It stopped eventually. (for hot shower - need to press the button by the water heater and wait for about 20-30 minutes before taking a shower).
In general, hotel looks like it needs renovation, but all in all we are in Africa in Nairobi so.. I wasn't expecting too much from this hotel so I wasn't dissapointed. As I sead, I stayed there for one night, but not sure if I would pick this hotel to stay for a longer period od time (week or so..)

The reception and a bar looks decently, big screen TV down there.

Best place to spend some time in that hotel is, I think, in the garden and by the pool. Take a cold one, sit back and relax.

One thing, don't wait to change your money in that hotel, the rates are 'not to good'.

Wi-Fi is being charged (I think 300 Ksh for 1hour - but you don't have to use it all at once, you can simply log off after you've done checking your e-mail so in that way you'll stop the 'timer'.. and continue using wi-fi later or the next day..).

Location of the hotel is a bit .. well.. isolated.. You are not 'that far' from the city center (about 500 Ksh taxi drive to the center) but since the hotel is surrounded with a fence, and guarded with man with weapons.. you know, you kinda don't want to go for a walk or something.. If you decide to go out of the hotel - use taxi

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I only stayed 1 night but the bed was clean and comfortable. The overall Hotel is a tad shabby with the need for some paint, but the reception, bars and convention rooms are all well presented. The tropical gardens and pool are magnificent.
Staff are friendly and service is great. The room was quiet and clean but the bathroom needed a renovation - although everything worked. The Hotel is well located and an easy 15 minute walk to Nairobi CBD.

Room Tip: I had a room on the 5th floor and had a view, albeit of adjoining premises it was quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We were put up here by Intrepid Travel before our Kenya-Tanzania safari. The best way to describe the hotel is "tired." It needs an overhaul of beds, furniture, floor coverings and plumbing.
I wouldn't pay $130 a night to stay here, which was the quoted rate. Restaurant dinner was uninspiring and barely edible. Staff were inattentive. Spend the money and stay at the Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed here for two nights prior to starting an overlanding trip. The rooms were basic a relatively clean, unfortunately the same cannot be said for the bathroom. The shower was broken and you had to hold onto the hose, and the bath tub was peeling and in poor condition.

Service was below average, the second day we were called and advised that we had to change rooms immediately so we packed our bags in a panic and lugged them down the stairs (elevator was not working and kept getting stuck) only to be told that we didn’t need to change rooms after all. Also there was no bottled in a room and we had to request it another 2 times.

The pool area was well kept and the BBQ buffet lunch around the pool was good.

Wi-fi is available for a nominal cost.

If you are only staying here for one night and you are only in need of a basic bed then this will do the trick but otherwise I’d recommend elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
rabat
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I made the mistake of going to this hotel when I came in late from Eldoret, at 1 AM, knowing I had only a few hours to sleep before waking for my morning appointments in Nairobi. My biggest mistake was trusting the woman downstairs about there being running hot water. Needless to say, there was no running hot water. To make matters worse, the room was a complete mess and when I asked why there was no hot water, I was told that the technician was late to fix the hot water. I asked to change rooms. She then changed my room. When I got to the second room, I was told to turn on a boiler button and that there would be hot water 20 minutes later. I decided to go lay down while the water heated. When I went to do so, I uncovered the sheets and found human marital relations stains on the sheets, needless to say, I was mortified and went back downstairs to ask for another room, because in this room as well, the water was not heating up. This was met by attitude from the woman at the desk, which was very surprising as I had not ever experienced rudeness from hotel staff at a Nairobi hotel. I was given yet another room, and asked for the bellhop to go with me to the other room, so as to check the room to make sure it was ok. The third room of course, ALSO had a malfunctioning faucet, and the toilet did not flush. I paid 5850 KSH for this hotel room. By the time I moved into the third room, the receptionist called the manager. The manager yelled at the receptionist, wasted more of my sleep time and took me to yet another room, where everything seemed ok. I tried to use the shower, but it was still cold, as I had to wait 20 minutes for the water to heat and decided instead to take a shower in the morning. The time when I entered the 4th room was 5 AM - I had to be at an 830 Appointment the next day. This hotel had cost me 4 very valuable hours of sleep and destroyed my day. The manager did not offer a refund. Do not EVER even consider taking a room in Kenya until you see the hot water working and test it out yourself.

Room Tip: I am currently staying in a good hotel in Nairobi - it is called Nairobi transit hotel - it is almos...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed in Kivi Milimani Hotel the night before my overland tour commenced. Luckily for me I stayed at another hotel nearby 5 days before which was 10x more better (Reata Serviced Apartments).

Good things: My room was available earlier than normal check-in time, the grounds of the hotel are really nice, food served is nice.

Bad things: Rooms can be accessed with key only - so easy to break into rooms, shower took forever to get warm water, it took 1 hour for a sandwich to be served for lunch... in general it just seems a bit run down.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Kivi Milimani Hotel? Share your experiences!