“One night was enough.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #76 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Brisbane, Australia
“One night was enough.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed here for two nights prior to starting an overlanding trip. The rooms were basic a relatively clean, unfortunately the same cannot be said for the bathroom. The shower was broken and you had to hold onto the hose, and the bath tub was peeling and in poor condition.

Service was below average, the second day we were called and advised that we had to change rooms immediately so we packed our bags in a panic and lugged them down the stairs (elevator was not working and kept getting stuck) only to be told that we didn’t need to change rooms after all. Also there was no bottled in a room and we had to request it another 2 times.

The pool area was well kept and the BBQ buffet lunch around the pool was good.

Wi-fi is available for a nominal cost.

If you are only staying here for one night and you are only in need of a basic bed then this will do the trick but otherwise I’d recommend elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
rabat
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I made the mistake of going to this hotel when I came in late from Eldoret, at 1 AM, knowing I had only a few hours to sleep before waking for my morning appointments in Nairobi. My biggest mistake was trusting the woman downstairs about there being running hot water. Needless to say, there was no running hot water. To make matters worse, the room was a complete mess and when I asked why there was no hot water, I was told that the technician was late to fix the hot water. I asked to change rooms. She then changed my room. When I got to the second room, I was told to turn on a boiler button and that there would be hot water 20 minutes later. I decided to go lay down while the water heated. When I went to do so, I uncovered the sheets and found human marital relations stains on the sheets, needless to say, I was mortified and went back downstairs to ask for another room, because in this room as well, the water was not heating up. This was met by attitude from the woman at the desk, which was very surprising as I had not ever experienced rudeness from hotel staff at a Nairobi hotel. I was given yet another room, and asked for the bellhop to go with me to the other room, so as to check the room to make sure it was ok. The third room of course, ALSO had a malfunctioning faucet, and the toilet did not flush. I paid 5850 KSH for this hotel room. By the time I moved into the third room, the receptionist called the manager. The manager yelled at the receptionist, wasted more of my sleep time and took me to yet another room, where everything seemed ok. I tried to use the shower, but it was still cold, as I had to wait 20 minutes for the water to heat and decided instead to take a shower in the morning. The time when I entered the 4th room was 5 AM - I had to be at an 830 Appointment the next day. This hotel had cost me 4 very valuable hours of sleep and destroyed my day. The manager did not offer a refund. Do not EVER even consider taking a room in Kenya until you see the hot water working and test it out yourself.

Room Tip: I am currently staying in a good hotel in Nairobi - it is called Nairobi transit hotel - it is almos...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed in Kivi Milimani Hotel the night before my overland tour commenced. Luckily for me I stayed at another hotel nearby 5 days before which was 10x more better (Reata Serviced Apartments).

Good things: My room was available earlier than normal check-in time, the grounds of the hotel are really nice, food served is nice.

Bad things: Rooms can be accessed with key only - so easy to break into rooms, shower took forever to get warm water, it took 1 hour for a sandwich to be served for lunch... in general it just seems a bit run down.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

The only thing good about this hotel and I mean the only thing good about it is the fact that the staff is friendly and very very polite. The elevator opened once about 3 feet above the landing and I almost broke my neck stepping out of it. This was only when the elevators were actually running. Most of the time they were broken. The first two rooms they attempted to put me Were flooded. The locks are as easy to pick as it is to write this review. The rooms were dirty and old. The hotel itself is rundown degraded and not worth half of what they charge. Unfortunately this is the hotel used by many tour companies and I have sent a formal letter to the tour company themselves to avoid this hotel in the future. It is not worth $100 a night. I would not stay here again if it was free

• Stayed September 2012
Athens, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed here for two nights, before an overland trip with intrepid. I do not know how other hotels in Nairobi are like but i would not recommend kivi milimani. When i got in the showers there was no hot water and when i called them they said that 'now we have turned on the boiler, it will take some time' so i had to wait for over half an hour. The furniture and the carpet are old but at least the linen and the towels were clean and ok. The door seemed to have been breached by thieves several times so you should give any valuables at the reception and they will put them in a safe.
I paid 90 dollars per night which i think is way to expensive.
There are 3 pc's near the reception but you have to pay to get access.
At the restaurant try traditional foods (e.g stirred chicken with rice) and avoid western menu because the pasta i ordered the first night was not good at all.
From the hotal to the airport is less than a half an hour distance where there is not traffic. I booked a taxi from an airport transfer company for 20 dollars.
To sum up the hotel would be ok if it was not so overpriced for what it is.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Doire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Spent five nights here in total on a return trip from Malawi where we had been doing some voluntary work a couple of years ago so the stay date is a little out below. Hotel is clean and tidy with good food. Staff went out of their way to book taxis, train tickets and kept most of our bags when we travelled to Mombasa for several days.

The lad behind the bar was a font of information and was able to tell us about guides who charged significantly less than advertised rates. Petted a cheatah and saw the flamingos at lake Nakurah for a fraction of the normal price. (I did check out the guides registration on the net before we took a chance).

There were a lot of tour groups using this hotel and as a result it did feel a bit like a hostel at times as you wound your way round bags.

Nairobi is not safe at night so make sure you avail of the shuttle to other eating houses in the city and they will collect you from ones that are not on the list for a surcharge. (usually about 1/3 of asking price if you haggle.

Two other tips
1 Smoking is not permitted in public in Nairobi other than designated areas and that includes the streets and parks. (people will tell you in the street that you can't smoke here and look for a policeman, WALK AWAY)
2 Be discrete. Loud westerners draw the worst kind of attention, when your trainers are worth 2 months wages what do you think is going to happen.

Room Tip: Not exactly a room tip, but this hotel is in a safe area of the city but take a taxi at night .
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed here one night, as many others do, before joining an overland trip. We stayed here because we had to - the reviews of this place are pretty accurate. We took the advice of an earlier reviewer who suggested staying additional nights at the Heron Hotel next door, and we are glad we did. For only a little more money, the Heron gave us a much nicer room and service over the Kivi.

The one thing I can say in its defence is that it is clean - cleaner than the reviews suggest. I was expecting something much worse in terms of cleanliness. In truth, the hotel is old, and things like tiles, faucets and toilets are showing their age, but they are not unclean.

I found the people working here to be very unhelpful, and most of them quite unfriendly with the exception of one woman who tracked us down after we had left some important papers behind in the restaurant. And as for the restaurant - it's not great. The food took forever to arrive and was tasteless.

I don't know why some companies still use this place as their joining hotel. I suspect the contract they have with them is part of the problem - if they have a guaranteed influx of patrons with every group departure, it's like a captive audience - why bother improving? Overall, it's got a decent bed, and acceptable shower, and it's clean. The breakfast is also decent. But the price - at $120 per night, is really, really ridiculous. I would be okay with paying about $60 for a hotel like this in my own country. Nothing more.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kivi Milimani Hotel? Share your experiences!