“Average place but not worth $130+ they charge.” 3 of 5 stars

Kivi Milimani Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Milimani Road | P.O.Box 20681, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #74 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Average place but not worth $130+ they charge.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a tour so we didn't pay for the room separately but I gather they charge $130/night and although the place was decent, I wouldn't pay that much.

The staff was very friendly and the pool was lovely but the rooms were pretty worn. As a budget hotel, it is fine though.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

I feel many of the reviews are unfair to this hotel and if you have done a bit of backpacking then you won't have complaints about this hotel. We were nearly put off doing our Intrepid Express trip because the reviews of this hotel were so poor but actually whilst the plumbing in the rooms are a little old and the general decor it actually provides clean and functional rooms. Best to request to be away from the lift as it is very old and very creaky. Our requests were granted with no fuss.
The pool is very pleasant and clean too. The food side is another matter and best not bothered with! Get a taxi somewhere else to eat anything more than the included in the price breakfast. Food takes forever to come over an hr, they substitute things without asking so our friends ordered BBQ ribs but were served chops with no warning. They sauces are horrible and most often they seem to have run out of half of what should be in the dish but they don't bother telling you. My friends steak came cold and without a pepper sauce and half an hour later after we had asked 6 times a waiter gave her a sauce (not pepper) off a tray left on the side for who knows how long. then 3 more sauces arrived none of them pepper. Anyway you get the idea. On the last night there we got a taxi to the Talisman Restaurant which was recommended by a friend who lives in Nairobi it was fantastic but a little more pricey but not expensive. In short stay at the Kivi Milimani as a launching point/base but not for your whole holiday!!

• Stayed April 2012
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I’ll start this review with a disclaimer, and that is that I haven’t stayed anywhere else in Nairobi so I guess I haven’t got a clear perspective of how good or bad this hotel is in comparison to what else is on offer. As such I will have to give this hotel a rating based on my various travels and on what I expect from a hotel at this price point.

From a value for money perspective, I would say that this hotel would have to be rated as very poor.

My observation would be that while much effort, and probably money, has been put into the making the grounds of the hotel very nice, not enough effort (or money) has been put into the quality and comfort of the rooms. The rooms are what can only be described as of a budget quality. The rooms and bathroom are quite honestly just a little too shabby and worn for the price charged. There was a TV in the room but there was no reception at all.

The bedding was clean enough, and the bed was reasonably comfortable, and if it were a cheap budget hotel I would have no complaints whatsoever.

On the plus side we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We were even able to store our luggage at the hotel for a few days while we went to the Masai Mara.

The hotel bar was also quite nice, and the restaurant did ok food.

The hotel is located maybe a 5 minute drive from the town centre, and the hotel seems to have a group of preferred taxis that wait outside for fares. We hired a taxi for a half day to see some of the sites including the elephant orphanage and the giraffe sanctuary at a pretty reasonable rate.

In summary it’s an ok hotel, but don’t expect the level of accommodation to live up to the pricing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My wife and stayed at the Kivi Millimani for two nights before and after a long overland journey. The hotel decor and exterior is in need of a little overhaul but otherwise it is a great hotel and good value for money.

After a long flight it we were welcomed by friendly staff who assisted us without hassle and sorted everything that we needed including a personal walking tour of Nairobi. The general area outside is safe in the daytime but like the rest of Nairobi, don't walk around at night unless in a group.

We chose to eat in the hotel's restaurant and were not disappointed as the food was gorgeous and the service was great. likewise breakfast was equally as appetising with a good selection in the buffet.

The hotel was frequented mainly by backpackers and overlanders starting and finishing their safari but also local businessmen in suits. The atmosphere felt good and the security was high – this is Nairobi. The rooms were basic, clean and spacious and we thought this was a great hotel at a good price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

This is a basic hotel which has all the amenities needed but certainly does not offer more. The rooms are definitely dated but was clean. The bathroom was fine although the shower never got warmer than luke warm. They have 2 computers in the lobby for visitors to use as well as a reasonable money exchange in the lobby.

The service at this hotel was better than expected though. They helped us (granted, under the guidance of our tour guide before he left) arrange taxis to our restaurant. More, I had to leave very early in the morning (3 AM) and before I left, I needed to leave some things for my tour leader to pick up and help me mail internationally. The staff member who was there was nice and helpful and amazingly, all my stuff got mailed.

Basically, expect a 2 star hotel and get that with 2.5-3 star service!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stayed there based on the recommendation of my tour company. Very poor service at reception. I asked a question and they sent for a taxi driver. When i checked out they said I had not paid and I had. They made me go and get the proof. Food is good but it takes at least 45 minutes for it to arrive. Rooms are reasonable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Stayed here before and after my overland trip, the first night was good the bathroom was rundown but didn't make me go eek, at the end of my trip i stayed here again that room was in a different end of the hotel and it was non stop noise and light coming into my room all night and the bathroom did make me go eek. Also when i checked in my room was made yet but they let me drop my bags off in it, when my bed was made the covers were still wet, the front desk didn't care much when i let them know that. It was nice however sitting outside on a nice day but i would not choose to stay here

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Been to Kivi Milimani Hotel? Share your experiences!