“Great hotel, good food, value for money budget hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Kivi Milimani Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Milimani Road | P.O.Box 20681, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #74 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
sheffield
“Great hotel, good food, value for money budget hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My wife and stayed at the Kivi Millimani for two nights before and after a long overland journey. The hotel decor and exterior is in need of a little overhaul but otherwise it is a great hotel and good value for money.

After a long flight it we were welcomed by friendly staff who assisted us without hassle and sorted everything that we needed including a personal walking tour of Nairobi. The general area outside is safe in the daytime but like the rest of Nairobi, don't walk around at night unless in a group.

We chose to eat in the hotel's restaurant and were not disappointed as the food was gorgeous and the service was great. likewise breakfast was equally as appetising with a good selection in the buffet.

The hotel was frequented mainly by backpackers and overlanders starting and finishing their safari but also local businessmen in suits. The atmosphere felt good and the security was high – this is Nairobi. The rooms were basic, clean and spacious and we thought this was a great hotel at a good price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

This is a basic hotel which has all the amenities needed but certainly does not offer more. The rooms are definitely dated but was clean. The bathroom was fine although the shower never got warmer than luke warm. They have 2 computers in the lobby for visitors to use as well as a reasonable money exchange in the lobby.

The service at this hotel was better than expected though. They helped us (granted, under the guidance of our tour guide before he left) arrange taxis to our restaurant. More, I had to leave very early in the morning (3 AM) and before I left, I needed to leave some things for my tour leader to pick up and help me mail internationally. The staff member who was there was nice and helpful and amazingly, all my stuff got mailed.

Basically, expect a 2 star hotel and get that with 2.5-3 star service!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stayed there based on the recommendation of my tour company. Very poor service at reception. I asked a question and they sent for a taxi driver. When i checked out they said I had not paid and I had. They made me go and get the proof. Food is good but it takes at least 45 minutes for it to arrive. Rooms are reasonable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Stayed here before and after my overland trip, the first night was good the bathroom was rundown but didn't make me go eek, at the end of my trip i stayed here again that room was in a different end of the hotel and it was non stop noise and light coming into my room all night and the bathroom did make me go eek. Also when i checked in my room was made yet but they let me drop my bags off in it, when my bed was made the covers were still wet, the front desk didn't care much when i let them know that. It was nice however sitting outside on a nice day but i would not choose to stay here

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

This hotel was fine for the pirce we paid.
Hotel is rundown, and i'd be avoiding the lift unless absolutley necessary!
Staff were friendly.
Dinner was fine, took over an hour to come out once ordered though!
If I had a choice to stay somehwere else I would have, however we stayed here at the beginning of our Intrepid Overland trip.
Also it's not really near anything.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We had some misgivings about staying here after completing an overland trip and before starting another one. From the rear gate, the parking lot and surrounding buildings looked almost abandoned. The front part of the hotel though—including lobby, patio, pool—was perfectly pleasant.

The rooms were spacious and clean, the vibe (unintentionally?) 70s retro. The balcony is great for hanging laundry! The door locks were dodgy and the toilet flush required some DIY jerry-rigging. Luckily, our room on the 5th floor had great water pressure; no problem with the hot water either. Someone did tell us to request a room away from the noisy lift...very good tip.

The buffet breakfast was so-so (The Heron Hotel a couple of buildings down had a slightly better spread). However, the patio restaurant had inexpensive café fare, no complaints there.

The hotels is pleasantly located in a quiet neighborhood; downtown Nairobi is a pleasant 20-minute walk downhill.

Room Tip: The lift made a loud, grinding noise. If you're sensitive to this, book a room farther from the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Most people stay here because it is the starting hotel for several overland companies - it is probably about time these companies looked for another locally run hotel in the area.

We stayed there twice- one night either end of our tour.

The first room we had was included in the tour. The room was pleasant- clean and a king sized bed. However, we had no hot water and had to wait an hour for the maintenance man to turn it on.

On our return the hotel staff could not find our booking, despite me checking with them two weeks previously that they had it. Luckily we had a copy of the confirmation email. It took an hour for us to be given a room.

Our second room was OK- clean, smaller than the first room with no coffee table/ armchair, and our bed was two singles pushed together. Hot water worked fine this time, and we had a very good, fast wifi connection in the room.

On the second visit we had to pay $100 for the room as it was not included in the tour, but I would not describe this as good value. The hotel needs a lot of money invested in rennovations, although the bar and pool areas are fine.

On the morning we were leaving we received a phonecall saying we had not paid for the room - we informed them we had paid when we booked. On checkout we were once again asked to pay and had to wait for the accounts department to find our payment. This was frustrating as we were on our way to the airport and could have done without the delay. Make sure you have the confirmation paperwork with you.

Breakfast buffet was adequate - fruit, bread/toast, cereal, selection of hot dishes and jucie/tea/coffee.
Dinner buffet was OK but limited choice and not great value for money.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Kivi Milimani Hotel? Share your experiences!