“It was the night before overlanding” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Heron Portico

You added The Heron Portico to your Saves list
The Heron Portico
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Milimani Road, Opp. Provincial Police Headquarters | P. O. Box 41848, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Nairobi
Bristol, United Kingdom
“It was the night before overlanding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

A good hotel which was our stop in Nairobi before starting our overland trip.

Was a little confusion on our airport transfer as the driver wasn't aware we were being picked up so didn't identify himself but he was there so could be found. The hotel also upgraded our room due to this which is good customer service.

Room was well equipped and we had a great nights sleep there, breakfast was good too.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Guest ,

Thank you very much for taking the time out to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We have taken up your feedback with the concerned departments and ensured corrective measures are done.

It is always our constant endeavor to provide best of services to our guests and that every guest of the hotel is treated with utmost professional care and hospitality.

We are pleased to know that we have been able to live to your expectations. Such comments have always been our strength as they motivate us to work harder and deliver better.

We look forward to the pleasure of your next stay with us.

Sanjeev Tiwari

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Muscat, Oman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I came here for business trip and have till now stayed for 3 nights. People are very friendly and service oriented. It is clean and yet it gives you the African ambiance.
Just nice. I would definitely come back

• Stayed June 2014
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Heron Portico, Nairobi recently. Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

The team is excited looking at your fantastic feedback and I am sure this will motivate them further to deliver high levels of guest satisfaction. Thank you for your excellent review.

It will be our distinct privilege to serve you in the future.

Warmest Regards

El Segundo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Two night stay...although I spent a lot of time at the hotel before as other friends were staying there for 6 days. The staff is attentive and polite. My room was great with a sitting area and a good bathroom. There are safes for your valuables. The room has some quirky hallways and stairs that have to be navigated between towers. The pool was a mess while we were there but they did offer to take us to a sister property if we wanted to use the pool. (it got fixed just as we were leaving - after draining it and repairing it.). The food was okay...happy hour on the patio was nice, just wish they had happy hour on the inside bar too. I would stay here again. Nice gym and they also have a sauna. The lobby provides a nice area to gather our group. Breakfast was good but it took a lot to get coffee refills. They also charged me (not really as breakfast was included) for two breakfasts both days even though I was only 1 person staying in a double room - I gave up trying to get that straightened out..as it was included.

Room Tip: There are better and worse rooms...I think I got a more deluxe room...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Heron Portico!

I thank you for taking the time off to provide us valuable feedback on Trip advisor regarding your stay at the The Heron Portico.

At the very outset please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us with regards to coffee service at restaurant. Your feedback on the experience at the hotel has been noted and shared with the team.

It is feedback from esteemed guest like you that helps us to constantly introspect our systems and procedures and assists us in striving for a better product and service.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

The Hotel is very well located and has good conference facilities. Also the food is good and a lot of variety in the menu in the restaurant. The room is very comfortable and the bathroom very clean. The Spa and the Gym is also excellent.

The Wifi in the Hotel is very good and free.

A very good experience overall.

Room Tip: The Room facing the main road.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Heron Portico!

Thank you very much for posting your reviews about your experience at The Heron Portico, Nairobi.

I am delighted to note that you have had an enjoyable stay and it was a pleasure to have been of service to you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Heron Portico.

Kind regards

Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

After a very good stay in January 2014 at this hotel (with accommodation and conference) this time in May we experienced similar high quality with this hotel in general and its staff.
It is very reliable: from first booking contact (quickly confirmed, good rates with no hidden costs), via airport pick up (on time, save driving and helping with getting my mobile card recharged (this time it was Samuel but also the other drivers are good!) and very reasonable price),check-in (very efficient when a lot of people inquire at the check in counter), any inquiries we had for accommodation or the conference rooms were followed up quickly (thanks to Paul and his colleagues who really took care of us so that we and our guests at the conference felt comfortable (providing all services on time but not disturbing our work); thanks in particular to David Mwaniki who guaranteed that any issue and special requirements was followed up immediately, in particular if we had special requests (conference and business related) it was never a problem. In other (sometimes more expensive) hotels it is not as easy as it is in Heron.

With the current security situation in Nairobi I also consider this Hotel as safe with regard to its security procedures, the location close to but not in / at main business district and roads.

The only issue (but which have with any hotel of higher standard in Nairobi and other cities in Africa): I prefer mosquito nets (compared to repellent). Would be nice to have this at the next stay.

Room Tip: to the front is the best in terms of ventilation and distance to entrance (street is not loud)
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write down the review and sharing it with fellow travellers.

Your feedback is very encouraging and I have shared it with the entire team. They are delighted that you had a wonderful stay in all aspects and are thrilled on being appreciated for their efforts.

Positive feedback from our guests are always a strong motivation to all of us to continuously provide a high level of services to our guests.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed here at the end of a safari trip to East Africa for some budget rest and relaxation. The rooms were extremely clean with nice hot showers. Breakfast in the morning was pleasant and the restaurant excellent. Most importantly we felt safe at all
Times here.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. As a hotel, we take immense pride in the fact that we work to make our guests feel at home. Feedback like this motivates the entire team to perform even better and more efficiently.

Thank you again. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Uxbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I was recommended this hotel but was very disappointing. Paying 150USD a night for rooms without A/C is too much.
The food in the restaurant was poor and the one evening I ordered a Fajita and was served a plate of watery chicken and peppers in a bowl. When I told them this was not a fajita they disputed it. I Googled a picture for them and the chef had the cheek to come to the table and tell me is was a Mediterranean version!!! I informed him that it was a Mexican dish and having lived in the Mediterranean for 20 years I think i may have seen it!!
I told them i didn't want any more of this rubbish. My 2 other guests also had issues. One ordered breaded chicken. It said 4 on the menu but they served 3 and took 45 minutes to bring the other one. My other guest ordered fish fillet with potatoes and got fillet steak with rice!!!
They then had the nerve to present me, having seen the Google picture, with their version of a fajita but they didn't have tortillas so wrapped part of the chicken mess in an Indian paratha. Amazing. I will never go to this place again. Sarova Panafric across the way is a far better option.

Room Tip: None of the rooms have A/C so look elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write about your visit.

It is extremely disappointing to know that we did not match your expectations. I am thankful that you spared time to speak to our Duty Manager and explained to him the points in details. I assure you that we have already started working on the things that we missed out on. As promised to you, you will notice a difference in service levels the next time you visit the hotel.

May I request you to treat this as an isolated incident. Please do not let this obstruct your faith in us. I look forward meeting you in future. Please do write to me at gm@heronhotel.com the next time you plan your visit to Nairobi.

Warm Regards
Sanjeev Tiwari

Been to The Heron Portico? Share your experiences!