“Very Good Experience !!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Heron Portico

You added The Heron Portico to your Saves list
The Heron Portico
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Milimani Road, Opp. Provincial Police Headquarters | P. O. Box 41848, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #17 of 145 Hotels in Nairobi
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Very Good Experience !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

The Hotel is very well located and has good conference facilities. Also the food is good and a lot of variety in the menu in the restaurant. The room is very comfortable and the bathroom very clean. The Spa and the Gym is also excellent.

The Wifi in the Hotel is very good and free.

A very good experience overall.

Room Tip: The Room facing the main road.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Heron Portico!

Thank you very much for posting your reviews about your experience at The Heron Portico, Nairobi.

I am delighted to note that you have had an enjoyable stay and it was a pleasure to have been of service to you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Heron Portico.

Kind regards

Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

After a very good stay in January 2014 at this hotel (with accommodation and conference) this time in May we experienced similar high quality with this hotel in general and its staff.
It is very reliable: from first booking contact (quickly confirmed, good rates with no hidden costs), via airport pick up (on time, save driving and helping with getting my mobile card recharged (this time it was Samuel but also the other drivers are good!) and very reasonable price),check-in (very efficient when a lot of people inquire at the check in counter), any inquiries we had for accommodation or the conference rooms were followed up quickly (thanks to Paul and his colleagues who really took care of us so that we and our guests at the conference felt comfortable (providing all services on time but not disturbing our work); thanks in particular to David Mwaniki who guaranteed that any issue and special requirements was followed up immediately, in particular if we had special requests (conference and business related) it was never a problem. In other (sometimes more expensive) hotels it is not as easy as it is in Heron.

With the current security situation in Nairobi I also consider this Hotel as safe with regard to its security procedures, the location close to but not in / at main business district and roads.

The only issue (but which have with any hotel of higher standard in Nairobi and other cities in Africa): I prefer mosquito nets (compared to repellent). Would be nice to have this at the next stay.

Room Tip: to the front is the best in terms of ventilation and distance to entrance (street is not loud)
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write down the review and sharing it with fellow travellers.

Your feedback is very encouraging and I have shared it with the entire team. They are delighted that you had a wonderful stay in all aspects and are thrilled on being appreciated for their efforts.

Positive feedback from our guests are always a strong motivation to all of us to continuously provide a high level of services to our guests.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of a safari trip to East Africa for some budget rest and relaxation. The rooms were extremely clean with nice hot showers. Breakfast in the morning was pleasant and the restaurant excellent. Most importantly we felt safe at all
Times here.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. As a hotel, we take immense pride in the fact that we work to make our guests feel at home. Feedback like this motivates the entire team to perform even better and more efficiently.

Thank you again. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Warm regards
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I was recommended this hotel but was very disappointing. Paying 150USD a night for rooms without A/C is too much.
The food in the restaurant was poor and the one evening I ordered a Fajita and was served a plate of watery chicken and peppers in a bowl. When I told them this was not a fajita they disputed it. I Googled a picture for them and the chef had the cheek to come to the table and tell me is was a Mediterranean version!!! I informed him that it was a Mexican dish and having lived in the Mediterranean for 20 years I think i may have seen it!!
I told them i didn't want any more of this rubbish. My 2 other guests also had issues. One ordered breaded chicken. It said 4 on the menu but they served 3 and took 45 minutes to bring the other one. My other guest ordered fish fillet with potatoes and got fillet steak with rice!!!
They then had the nerve to present me, having seen the Google picture, with their version of a fajita but they didn't have tortillas so wrapped part of the chicken mess in an Indian paratha. Amazing. I will never go to this place again. Sarova Panafric across the way is a far better option.

Room Tip: None of the rooms have A/C so look elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Martin C
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write about your visit.

It is extremely disappointing to know that we did not match your expectations. I am thankful that you spared time to speak to our Duty Manager and explained to him the points in details. I assure you that we have already started working on the things that we missed out on. As promised to you, you will notice a difference in service levels the next time you visit the hotel.

May I request you to treat this as an isolated incident. Please do not let this obstruct your faith in us. I look forward meeting you in future. Please do write to me at gm@heronhotel.com the next time you plan your visit to Nairobi.

Warm Regards
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I stayed here before starting a tour. I was a little nervous arriving in Nairobi as a single female traveller but the staff at the Heron made me feel welcome and safe. They organised my transfers and took care of all my travel needs.

The staff were very friendly and the rooms were big and clean. And most importantly before going into the wilderness, the wifi was fast and worked well.

The restaurant was fast and reasonably priced. Great buffet breakfast the next day!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank AmesAbout
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your feedback and I am glad to note you enjoyed your stay and all the facilities at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the The Heron Portico in near future.

Kind Regards
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I was in Nairobi for a couple of nights between safaris's and joining an overland trip with Dragoman. I chose this hotel after reading a review on Tripadvisor. It suggested I stayed here rather than staying at the Kivi Millimani Hotel next door where one of my trips started. I was glad I heeded that advice! In all I stayed here for 3 nights, all one night at a time over 2 weeks. The staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful. The food was good although not art nouveau cuisine. There was plenty of space in my room and most importantly..............I slept like a log in a comfortable bed.

This is not a top of the range hotel, but they do exactly what they say they will do very well. Perfect for me and my budget.

If you are going on an overland trip starting or finishing in Nairobi then this is a great hotel for you to stay in and you can walk to the Kivi Millimani hotel if you need to.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your stay at The Heron Portico,Nairobi.

We are very happy to know that you had a memorable stay and your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed here for three nights before heading to the Masai Mara on safari. We had two rooms - a double and a twin. The double room was at the beginning of the corridor and was huge! Lovely, large double bed, 2 armchairs, coffee table, desk, mini bar, and a lovely clean bathroom. The twin room was the next one in and was much smaller - just the two single beds, a small desk, but still had a mini bar and a nice bathroom, and was perfectly adequate. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast buffet was fantastic, there was a very well-equipped gym and a lovely outdoor pool. If I had any quibble, it would be the lack of air conditioning in the bedrooms. However, there was an electric fan which was adequate. I would definitely stay in The Heron again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the end of the corridors seem to be larger.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always a pleasant feeling to know that we were able to meet expectations of our guests every time they stay with us.

We look forward to your next visit with us and hope to see you soon.

Warm regards