“Does exactly what it says on the box!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Heron Portico

Save Saved
You added The Heron Portico to your Saves list
The Heron Portico
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Milimani Road, Opp. Provincial Police Headquarters | P. O. Box 41848, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #15 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Cairns, Australia
“Does exactly what it says on the box!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I was in Nairobi for a couple of nights between safaris's and joining an overland trip with Dragoman. I chose this hotel after reading a review on Tripadvisor. It suggested I stayed here rather than staying at the Kivi Millimani Hotel next door where one of my trips started. I was glad I heeded that advice! In all I stayed here for 3 nights, all one night at a time over 2 weeks. The staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful. The food was good although not art nouveau cuisine. There was plenty of space in my room and most importantly..............I slept like a log in a comfortable bed.

This is not a top of the range hotel, but they do exactly what they say they will do very well. Perfect for me and my budget.

If you are going on an overland trip starting or finishing in Nairobi then this is a great hotel for you to stay in and you can walk to the Kivi Millimani hotel if you need to.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your stay at The Heron Portico,Nairobi.

We are very happy to know that you had a memorable stay and your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards
Sanjeev Tiwari

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed here for three nights before heading to the Masai Mara on safari. We had two rooms - a double and a twin. The double room was at the beginning of the corridor and was huge! Lovely, large double bed, 2 armchairs, coffee table, desk, mini bar, and a lovely clean bathroom. The twin room was the next one in and was much smaller - just the two single beds, a small desk, but still had a mini bar and a nice bathroom, and was perfectly adequate. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast buffet was fantastic, there was a very well-equipped gym and a lovely outdoor pool. If I had any quibble, it would be the lack of air conditioning in the bedrooms. However, there was an electric fan which was adequate. I would definitely stay in The Heron again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the end of the corridors seem to be larger.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always a pleasant feeling to know that we were able to meet expectations of our guests every time they stay with us.

We look forward to your next visit with us and hope to see you soon.

Warm regards
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed here for a night after climbing Kilimanjaro. We thought the hotel was very nice, great staff, clean, modern. The breakfast buffet was delicious. The staff was helpful and friendly. The Wifi was also strong. We recommend the hotel for a short stay, especially after a long mountain climb in the wilderness.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Greetings from The Heron Portico!

Thank you for taking time to write down the review and sharing it with fellow travelers.

Your feedback is very encouraging and I have shared it with the entire team. They are delighted that you had a wonderful stay in all aspects and are thrilled on being appreciated for their efforts.

Positive feedback from our guests are always a strong motivation to all of us to continuously provide a high level of services to our guests.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed four nights at this hotel and found it to be what we were expecting. Our end of hall room was spacious, and being at the back of the hotel, very quiet. Staff were as helpful as possible, although front desk staff was lacking somewhat in local knowledge. Food in the restaurant was fine, and reasonably priced. Hotel is located about a 20 min walk to central area, or an 800 kes taxi ride.

Room Tip: Back of hotel is quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Smarthotel11, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your review about your experience at The Heron Portico, Nairobi.

I am glad you left with a positive impression of our staff, restaurants and the hotel at large.

Your kind words of appreciation shall be conveyed to my team for whom they will be a tremendous source of inspiration. The team at the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

New Delhi, Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

For my visit to Nairobi, the only request I had made to my Local colleague was to book a hotel which offered Indian Food. Vegetarian more precicely. My wish was granted. Plus this hotel offered much more.

Located strategically on hilly terrain and posh locality of Nairobi, the hotel felt like home. Wont mind staying at this place if I visit Kenya again.

Pros : Value for Money. Peaceful. Great Service. Good Food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It’s a delight to read your appreciation of The Heron Portico, Nairobi. I am glad that we were able to make your stay comfortable and cater to your Indian food requirement.

At The Heron Portico we genuinely believe that providing awesome memories to our guests is our prime purpose and endeavor to deliver this message through our actions and services.

It is always an honor to receive positive feedback which motivates our team to serve you better.

We await your early return for another memorable stay.

Warm regards,

Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

great service, also for conferneces etc. very comptetetive prices for accomodation and conference facilties, good building (airt circulation) with tasteful furniture, cuisine very good, I liked the combination of indian british and african dishes

had a good one week stay with a lot of support from hotel staff for my business trip. thanks a lot

Room Tip: somewhere high where the circulation of air is even better
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, February 15, 2014

Greetings from The Heron Portico!

We wholeheartedly thank you for writing beautiful lines of appreciation for our hotel and its amenities. We are happy to know that you had pacifying stay at our property. We are pleased to know that you liked our well appointed rooms, cleanliness at the hotel, Friendliness and courtesy of the staff, scrumptious breakfast and dinner and other amenities at the hotel. We are pleased to know that we have been able to live to your expectations. Such comments have always been our strength as they motivate us to work harder and deliver better.

Looking forward to your next visit to Nairobi.

Warm regards
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

The hotel is very nice but there is no AC in the rooms. I would not expect a non AC room in that price but all other hotels I saw in that area didnt have AC so this was the best of all.

The superior room is quite comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful and also quick at service. The restaurant serves great food at a reasonable price so I did not bother to look for other places to have my dinner all the 4 nights.

Has a great gym and spa.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room if possible
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, January 28, 2014

Greetings from The Heron Portico!

Thank you for taking time to write down the review.

We have taken a note of your A/C requirement and would like to inform you that we are working on it.

Positive feedback from our guests is always a strong motivation to all of us to continuously provide a high level of services to our guests.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards

Sanjeev Tiwari

Been to The Heron Portico? Share your experiences!