“Comfort and style” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Heron Portico to your Saves list
Booking.com Hotels.com
The Heron Portico
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Milimani Road, Opp. Provincial Police Headquarters | P. O. Box 41848, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Special Price
15% OFF ON JR. SUITE
Ranked #18 of 92 hotels in Nairobi
Livingstone, Zambia
“Comfort and style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel is in a secure area in Nairobi, is comfortable and has wonderful staff. The rooms are well equipped, and offer a cozy nights sleep. The staff are wonderful, welcoming and helpful. Honestly a wonderful place to stay in Nairobi.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed in this hotel on multiple occasions in 2011 during my business trips to Nairobi. My travelling agent could not find anything better within the given budget. I found this hotel to be okay for business travelers like me. But i would not recommend it to someone travelling with kids and family. Honestly, what i heard about this hotel from the locals was that the hotel was infamous for various (obvious) reasons in the past! and during my stay in the hotel, I did find few such elements sitting in the bar and restaurants :)
Otherwise, hotel stay is comfortable, bar and restaurant is very nice, and they serve nice hot food. Breakfast buffet is splendid! Rooms are average. They also have a swimming pool in the hotel which was a nice past time for some sun bathing. Location of the hotel is also very good, close to the central Nairobi and still very peaceful and green surroundings.
Overall I would give 3.5 stars for this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I am traveling alone and am a single white woman. David Mwaniki, the Front Office Manager has done a brilliant job hire the most wonderful team - Nancy, Paris, Caesar, Vincent. They have all made sure I am safe where ever I go in the city, advising me on the rules of bartering, recommending restaurants and ensuring I feel welcome. The rooms are lovely and clean and comfortable. Three of the restaurant staff - Victor, Francis and Toshling - have been very helpful as well and greet me warmly every morning. I highly recommend this hotel. It is central and in a safe neighbourhood. Good security

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely as I have had to stay in Nariobi a lot longer than expected I have been in...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, June 4, 2013

Greetings from The Heron Portico!

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is good to know that we have lived up to your expectations also heartening to learn that you enjoyed your stay. We are pleased to know that you liked our well appointed rooms, cleanliness at the hotel, Friendliness and courtesy of the staff and Security at the hotel. We are pleased to know that we have been able to live to your expectations. Such comments have always been our strength as they motivate us to work harder and deliver better.

Warm Regards
nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Room: Very nice room
Food: Very tasty
Crew: Very friendly
Cleanliness: You can smell the detol in bathroom
Internet: V good
Overall" Just EXCELLENT
I have been coming to Nairobi since 2010 & I tried a lot of hotel. Here you get much value than you pay. My friend David & his team are doing an excellent job here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, February 4, 2013

Greetings from The Heron Portico!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. As a hotel, we take immense pride in the fact that we work to make our guests feel at home. Feedback like this motivates the entire team to perform even better and more efficiently.

Thank you again. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Warm Regards,

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I checked into The Heron hotel last year mid-October, 2012. I had booked through email with David and I must say he was very very efficient in his quick reservations he did for me, am so grateful. I had booked a standard room and was lucky to be upgraded to a superior room and my oh my!! the room is one to die for...comfort, warmth, spacious...it felt 'at home'. The service at the restaurant too was superb, polite, customer friendly and very efficient staff. Vincent at the reception also handled me quite well. I was picked from the airport promptly.., no delay!!I like the great team work at the superb hotel and you guys should keep it up. Fantastic job well done. :)))

Room Tip: The superior rooms are so so spacious if you want a good walk-around feel in your room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that the level of service and the hotel ambience was to your liking and you found the ambience immaculate.

We take immense pride in training our staff so that our guests are delighted. Your comment on the services of our staff encourages and motivates them to attain higher levels of perfection.

We look forward to the pleasure of your next stay with us.

Warm regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Heron Hotel has recently been refurbished and offers a good option for business and leisure travellers who prefer not to be in the middle of the action downtown Nairobi. Being on Milimani Road it offers the opportunity to be close enough to the centre without the hustle and bustle of the town centre. It is also within walking distance to Lenana Road if you happen to be in Nairobi on a business trip linking up to development agencies. Staff is friendly and attentive to requests by customers. The restaurant offers good choices on their menu for dinner if you feel not to have a test of the many restaurants in the area. The breakfast buffet could be improved with a better variety of food.

Room Tip: Rooms in the block at the back are quieter than the ones on the main block at the front.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, January 17, 2013

Greetings from The Heron Portico!

We wholeheartedly thank you for taking time to write down the review.
Your feedback is very encouraging and I have shared it with the entire team. They are delighted that you had a wonderful stay in all aspects and are thrilled on being appreciated for their efforts. We have taken a note of your feedback on our buffet breakfast variety and would like to assure you that corrective measures have been taken. Hopefully you will find the difference in your next visit.
Positive feedback from our guests are always a strong motivation to all of us to continuously provide a high level of services to our guests.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed at the Heron for a couple of days in October on Business. The location is a touch off the main sights and sounds but it adds lusture to the Hotel.

It has the look and feel of an Old English Hunting Lodge and the winding pathway and stairs to my 3rd floor room was real great. The room itself was decent sized and the spacious bathrooms was a relief

It also had a more than reasonable Vegetarian selection and the Breakfast was fulfilling

The Hotel staff can do with a bit more training and they took a long time to check me in. The only sour note was me and my colleague who used the same Hotel shuttle from the airport which we had pre-booked were charged separately ( double charge).

If you have the habit of rushing to catch your flight, do plan in advance as this one is a fair distance from the airport and passes through some real busy thorough fares in heavy traffic.

The property is slightly pricey but I guess the good decor and the cleanliness of the place will attract Business and Pleasure travel alike

Ravi

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this review, December 27, 2012

Greetings from The Heron Portico!

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is good to know that we have lived up to your expectations, also heartening to know that you enjoyed your stay, while you were with us.

As far as your grievances are concerned, kindly accept our sincere apologies for the same. We assure you that we will be looking on the mentioned points in the most optimistic way and considering them as moments of truth we will improvise on the same. Such comments have always been our strength as they motivate us to work harder and deliver better.

We commit that we will always welcome you with open arms leaving no stone unturned thus ensuring you a wondrous stay enriched with beautiful moments and unforgettable memories. We are waiting for you for yet another beautiful stay with us.

Warm Regards
Sanjeev Tiwari

Been to The Heron Portico? Share your experiences!