“Its worth the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Heron Portico

Save Saved
You added The Heron Portico to your Saves list
The Heron Portico
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Milimani Road, Opp. Provincial Police Headquarters | P. O. Box 41848, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Special Price
15% OFF ON JR. SUITE
Ranked #18 of 92 hotels in Nairobi
“Its worth the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Its generally a good hotel quiet, walking distance from/to town, safe due to its proximity to a police station but poor service especially with the rude waiteress at the terrace and the night receptionist

• Stayed November 2012

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I am not sure how much my client paid for this hotel but the deluxe room I stayed in was large had a microwave kitchenette and had a good size bathroom. This would be a good 3* property and perhaps fall short for a four star with it's only bar and restaurant that has no concept of service. The staff is polite and easy but that does not add up to good service. Simple things like bottled water took ten minutes to be served. The breakfast and food at the restaurant is average and mundane. Good showers, although I had to let a lot of water run before I got hot water, Clean towels and linen. This would be a good hotel if the pricing is about $80 a night, anything above this would earn negative points.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are a good choice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Excellent hotel best location in Nairobi.
Heron hotel is oasis of tranquillity in the middle of busy city.
The staff and management is friendly, excellent food quality.
I stayed 6 nights on business trip and found home away from home. Every time I come to Nairobi I will stay there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We decided to stay at The Heron based on poor reports of the nearby Kivi (that wasn't so bad as reviews we'd read) where we were booked in prior to starting a safari with Intrepid and overall positive reports of The Heron. We made our booking well ahead and found David very efficient in replying to emails. Somehow our pick-up at the airport didn't happen but that was easily rectified by hiring a taxi. We found the staff friendly and helpful, the standard room was a comfortable size, very clean and nicely furnished while the little trouble with the plumbing was soon rectified. We didn't notice any air con. so it may be hot during the hot weather. We found the breakfast (included) was a good standard with more than sufficient variety for a 3 and a half star hotel. I see some complaints in other reviews about the serving staff but we had none of concern. I was told that serving time for meals in Nairobi could be painfully long but we never had that problem in the restaurant. The coffee shop was sometimes slow on meals but not so bad and considering it isn't usually busy with customers apart for drinks, then I can understand why there is only a small staff. We also found during our total of 7 nights stay, including in between trips, we enjoyed a variety of excellent meals in the restaurant. Overall we were very happy with our stays at the Heron and liked the decor and atmosphere. Leaving bags in between trips of 2 weeks duration was no problem. We were pleasantly surprised at the size of the pool and it's pleasant surrounds. Just make sure someone has the key for the change rooms. If ever we return to Nairobi then we would certainly stay at The Heron again. It's a convenient 15 plus minutes walk or short taxi ride into the CBD if you want to go shopping or to another restaurant.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the lift. Rooms with views to the front and over the road are nicer and traffic noi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Espoo, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I recently stayed at the Heron Hotel during a week long conference and business trip. The hotel is ideally located if you are looking to avoid the massive traffic jams leading into the BDC of Nairobi. Nairobi traffic can be very bad.

The rooms are nice, modern and have all ameneties any business traveller might be looking for. Reception staff are friendly and helpfull.

The restaurant is average by any standards. Breakfast is very mediocre and restaurant service was very slow and uncoordinated. It took 3 waiters to get me a fork, a knife, service and they still got my order wrong! clearly there is a lack of supervision or training there. The a la carte menu is ok but nothing to wrtie home about. Room service is ok.

The room stewards are very friendly yet slightly slow on the information intake. Cleaning standards are ad hock. One day the toilet paper is there....the other day its gone...Same with the shampoo and soap.

In all I enjoyed my stay and since the location is very business inducive I will return but hope to see improved guest service.

Room Tip: Ask for the front rooms as the back rooms are smaller.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed here one night, during our safari trip with Eyes on Africa Safaris (which is a company we do not recommend booking with!). The hotel is spacious, pretty, well secured, and rooms are spacious and really clean. Our room was on the first floor with a big bed, a living space area (very nice, with two seats and a large flatscreen tv), large bathroom with bath and shower, large closet for clothes, and minibar. There is free wifi available, which works well (though connection might be lost several times, but after logging in again, you can surf the web again). Staff were very friendly and helpful in explaining how to get to places. Staff in restaurant was less on top of things, but still nice. Food in the restaurant (dinner time) was good and we enjoyed the terrace where you can have dinner. We had a kenyan burger with spicy chicken and avocado, and a beef dish. Both tasted very good. Breakfast is good with plenty of choice: cereals, breads, pancakes, eggs freshly baked for you, fruits etc. If ever going to Nairobi again, I would definitely stay here again. Compared to other hotels in the city, the value for money is also pretty good here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We decided to stay here because it was next door to the Kivi Millmani Hotel the starting base of our Intrepid Safari. The trip advisor reviews of Kivi convinced us to stay somewhere better.
We stayed 4 nights at the Heron , we picked up a hotel transfer and at check in the reception staff were friendly and hotel is decent. Hospitality staff are friendly and helpful.
The downside and there are a few: breakfast is mediocre (stay away from the eggs), bathroom has mould and the water pressure was poor additionally the walls are paper thin on two nights I listened to my neighbours TV and romantic moments.
However the worst aspect of staying at the Heron is theft.......originally booked for 3 nights because I had pre-paid accommodation at the Kivi I left my luggage in the luggage room I visited the Kivi and decided to book a further night at the Heron. On the same day I booked a tour of Keibra and did not want to carry the safari kitty to a slum area so I locked the kitty funds in my backpack, the total amount was USD$800 that night when I met my tour group I am missing USD$120 and could not pay the full kitty - I was happy that the full amount was not taken but had to run around Nairobi with a cab to replace the kitty funds stolen.
We searched our entire luggage and my since I counted my funds the day before ( I brought US dollars for specific purpose ) the funds were stolen while our bags were in the luggage room or within our room. In the morning I mentioned this to the reception staff but we did not have time to get a proper reply. Sadly and inadvertently, I had booked an additional night at the Heron which I had pre-paid prior to discovering the theft.
After my safari I stayed at the Fairview but had overbook a night at the Heron so I cancelled more than 24 hours before by was informed by the Manager (David) that cancellation policy is 48 hours and not due a refund though the T&C’s are not on the website, I requested a copy of the T&C’s which David has failed to supply.
Most of the Hotels in Nairobi have a 24 hour cancellation policy however the Heron has 48 Hours but nowhere in writing. So the Hilton, Fairview etc 24 hour cancellation policy.

So I would not recommend staying at the Heron - for a bit of extra money stay at the Fairview, it has excellent grounds, breakfast is 5 star quality, rooms are spotless and comfortable, proper water pressure , super friendly staff......... the Fairview is a 4 star hotel with 5 star service.
So avoid Heron there are plenty of good quality alternatives in Nairobi.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Heron Portico? Share your experiences!