“Great hotel, would definitely go back again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Heron Portico

Save Saved
You added The Heron Portico to your Saves list
The Heron Portico
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Milimani Road, Opp. Provincial Police Headquarters | P. O. Box 41848, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #18 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Perth, Australia
“Great hotel, would definitely go back again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

After looking at some hotel options where we would feel safe and still be close to the city and airport, this was definitely a great place to stay. Breakfast was included in the price, the hotel staff went over and above to make us happy, there was cheap internet and also a nice cafe that had great food.
We chose this hotel because we were doing a safari that left from Hotel Kivi Millian but we didnt like the look of that and the reviews were pretty poor. It was only a 3 min walk from the Heron to Kivi Millian so definitely worth staying at the Heron. We had a nice room for the time that we stayed there and really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Mahe Island, Seychelles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Finding a good, clean and afforable place in Nairobi is difficult. The city is notorious for its overpriced dumps. The Heron is a fresh breather amidst all the dust and bustle and traffic jams typical of Nairobi. A real gem and because of its proximity easy to get to the airport.
On arrival I asked if breakfast was included in the price and if possible to deduct it from my account as I had to leave at 6 in the morning to catch an early flight. I was assured that breakfast would be served at 5:30 and was told that they do cater for all their customers and could trust them that breakfast would be served promptly.
The next morning I arrived at 5:30 to a cold, dark diningroom with no-one in sight. I went to the front desk and the clerk got on the phone and organised something but I was kept in the dark as to what. A security officer arrived and some more phone calls were made but needless to say that by 6 when my taxi arrived the diningroom was still dark and empty. I asked again if I was being refunded for breakfast and they told me to be patient because they will make sure I get my breakfast. I am still waiting.....A cup of coffee would have sufficed.
Would I stay there again? For sure! But next time I will make sure the chef gets a wake-up call too!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Stayed here for two nights in early Feb with my partner and child , the hotel staff were friendly and helpful as its not easy travelling with a child under two (Thank you all) the food Breakfast was fine and the rooms clean, Location is good, just outside the city centre but within easy walking distance and security provided an enjoyable introduction to Kenya

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

The Kivi Milimani Hotel was the start and end point after an (excellent) Intrepid trip. (Don't bother staying there unless you have to). The Kivi was booked out on my last night in Nairobi, so I had to find somewhere else...

After several frustrating attempts at the Kivi, of trying to use the internet and telephone to book another hotel...I gave up! I decided to walk into town and make a booking face-to-face at the Stanley. However, a 100m down the road I noticed The Heron...

Although the Kivi is practically next door (and in a similar price range) they are worlds apart! The guy at reception was helpful and friendly. He probably thought it was a bit weird that a stressed-out muzungu walked in off the street and booked a room for the following night!

I arrived the next day before check-in, so they stored my bags and I walked into town. The city is a 10-15 minute walk away - go out past the security gates and guard - turn left and keep walking...easy. As a solo female, I felt completely safe on Milivani Road during the day. I would be more cautious walking past the parks in the evening. Also remember NOT to speak to ANYONE that approaches you...unless you are up for a con!

The room was clean and cool. The furnishings were nicely put together. I had dinner and breakfast the hotel, both of which were of a good standard. The wait staff were very professional.

I had an evening flight so arranged for a late check out (6pm), and I just lazed around the hotel. The gift shop/business centre sells snack food, and internet was fast and relatively cheap. Watching movies in my room was pleasant and relaxing way to spend the afternoon before my flight. The taxi driver at the hotel was also friendly and professional.

Next time I'm back in Nairobi, I will definitely stay at The Heron.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

I enjoyed my 2 week stay here. The staff were generally helpful, the service was good and my room was always nicely cleaned. A decent albeit slightly overpriced restaurant is attached with options for room service (with surcharge). Down points were that the laundry service lost one of my shirts although they did try to put this right. Some days I didn't want housekeeping to clean my room so I put my 'do not disturb' note up - house keeping still asked if I wanted service - whilst they were just trying to be helpful this did get on my nerves a bit! There is internet access but only via cable rather than wireless.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

In a city with a seeming shortage of hotel rooms in the Upper Hill, Hurlingham, Lavington area, this one is a winner. Quiet, clean rooms, with attentive service, a full service restaurant, and easy access to the Upper Hill, Hurlingham, Lavington areas of the city. I've been to Nairobi five times in the past six months and consistently have trouble finding a hotel or guest house that has decent food, reasonably comfortable beds, and gives me the assurance I am safe when traveling alone. The Heron Hotel did all of that.... the one drawback is that there is no wifi service in the rooms: there is a business center with Internet access on the main level, but that is not nearly as convenient. The wireless modems offered by the major cell phone networks work fine, but they are certainly more of a hassle. Given the lack of clean, affordable hotels in this part of the city, it was a compromise I was willing to make.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Ulm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Heron Hotel is a good place to stay if you need to be on upper Hill and Fairview is fully booked. Rooms are OK, clean, well furnished and the Service is fine. The difference between deluxe and executive rooms is nearly not existing, so take the cheaper option.
The Hotel Restaurant is not that recommendable. Breakfast is a low quality buffet and not comparable to the feast of fresh options other Hotels offer. I will be back in Heron in October and think its a good place to stay if you don't look for something fancy but a safe and quite place to sleep.
Internet and digital TV are available and of good service level taking into account that we are in central Africa.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Heron Portico? Share your experiences!