“This hotel is good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Mombasa, Kenya
“This hotel is good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I checked in at Olive Gardens Hotel on 19th October 2013 with a colleague. We honestly expected the worst and we only came here because the hotel we were booked earlier somehow sold our rooms. To say the least, i was pleasantly surprised by the services at Olive Gardens Hotel. They have refurbished the rooms and the lobby looks really nice. The food was great and the staff were quite professional. My only disappointment was the view from all the rooms wasn't not pleasant at all. Maybe the hotel should speak with the neighbors to clean up the yard next door..it really looks like a junkie! Otherwise good job! We shall come again.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are currently the best
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Olive G, at Olive Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Lilykijo,

Thank you very much for the comments and compliments, they are well noted. The hotel is now under new management and we endeavor to offer our guests the best. We look forward to host you again

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Mombasa, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

For a hotel located in such a convenient location I honestly expected more! I stayed at the hotel for 6 days while attending a workshop at the same venue. After checking in, the receptionist offered me a welcome drink, it was mango juice that had been in a jug by her desk area. I politely declined, unsure of how long it had been kept there. The rooms are very basic and not worth the cost pegged to them. The breakfast menu is basic; bread, sausage and egg with a pancake suprise once in a while. The variety offered depends on the number of guests at the hotel, therefore more guests, the variety slightly improves. Most of what was offered during breakfast was offered during the 10am and 4pm tea time breaks. The restaurant menu is very alluring in writing, however what is served is below par. I ordered vegetable curry one night for dinner and what I got was a combination of vegetables that had been served during the lunch hour. There is need for improvement. For the conference facilities, they do not have facilities for big groups. Also the staff need to be reminded to clean the conference hall every morning, otherwise you find it as untidy as it was the previous evening. My worst experience was getting back to my room and finding my bathroom had been used by someone, and the toilet left in a mess. This was beyond!!! I would not want to stay at this hotel again and wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Poorly managed, Smelly stinky hotel rooms inspite of the type of the rooms, clueless staff, carpets stink, food was disastrous, slow wifi, it was altogether horrible. I will never ever again go back again!!!!

• Stayed April 2012
Lagos, Nigeria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I have lodged in olive garden hotel several times because my company office in Nairobi put us there when we went several times in 2010 and 2011 for meetings. All my observations from the very first day we lodged there turned out to be true.

The olive garden Nairobi hotel is well located but very poorly managed, the front office staff are quite daft, they have stern looking security men positioned at the entrance of the hotel, despite the fact that they are near useless in stopping any slightly intelligent crime ( as we have already experienced).

On my last visit to olive garden hotel in Nairobi, which was at 1.20am on te 2nd of July 2012, I arrived after communicating with them through a tourist company at the airport, they clearly confirmed the room types and prices available, and i made my decision to choose a single room, especially as i was on transit and needed to be back at the airport by 6 am, which meant I would leave the hotel at 5.30am at the very latest ( A 4 hour visit basically).

I was shocked to arrive and they pretended try never got any call from the tourist company, a call that was made with me standing right there. Secondly, try quickly claimed single rooms were not available, and after some banter, they allocated me a superior double room against my wish for a four hour stay. I went to a bar next door and had a light snack and a drink to cool off from the long journey, only to arrive back at the hotel at 3 am to catch a two hour sleep, and I was stopped at the reception and told that the price for the room had changed while i was out. It changed from $97 to $ 115 . I obliged them, knowing that I needed to get some rest and consider this a bad dream.

At 5.30am when I was checking out to catch my flight I was stopped again and told that the additional $15 notes I gave them acouple of hours ago were a 1998 US dollar note and that was not acceptable to them. I will leave to your imagination the kind of argument that took place before they called a manager who said it was OK.

Note that approximately 6 months before this incident, I lodged in the same hotel with a business partner and her computer was stolen from her room, including her wallet and other personal valuables, all these happened in brad day light, with the same stern looking security men standing at the entrance. When we reported to the management, we discovered that another guest was also robbed at the same time in the same hotel. We reported to the police and they clearly told us they were tired of this constant reports of robbery in that particular hotel. The police followed us to the hotel to carry out an investigation, for which we have not heard anything about till today.

The fear of olive garden hotel in Nairobi is the beginning of wisdom. Guests beware.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

This USED to be a charming hotel with good staff and floor supervisors. Not anymore. The cashiers are thieves. The food; if you can call it food is non-existent. There is mold in the rooms. The televisions don't work. Internet/Wireless down most of the time. Leaks on the second level. The carpet is ghastly; dirty, smelly and who knows when it was cleaned if ever. The towels have holes as well as the sheets. There is no water pressure and many times the water was not hot.

Mind you there are a handful of good staff; but the management and ownership has wanned to the poor side.

This is not a place to bring your family or business partners. Most embarrasing to bring any business clients to this hotel.

Don't pay in advance and ALWAYS check your credit card statement and your receipt as well as your change when making any payments.

Room Tip: There are none; no heat; windows have no insulation either.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I am through with my honeymoon trip, which i organised with Adventure Panorama Safaris, in Kenya. Well, the trip was abit costly but all the same it was worth it!! I got to enjoy every bit of it. Many animals, alot of food, good guide and a honest consultant, Nickson Ogilo.

Prior to my trip to Masai Mara, pour accommodation was in Olive Garden hotel, very clean, quite, comfortable and listening staff.

I really liked it...and appreciate it alot.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Nairobi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I wanted to book guests at this hotel for an upcoming conference but the reviews I have read are over 90% negative. I will book them at another hotel as I cant afford to have my visitors end up making such comments as below. Gone is the accommodation, conference fees etc. I hope the management is reading and responding to customers' complains. The hotel is well positioned due to its location but this will not sell if the service levels are low. There are a number of hotels to learn from.

Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Olive Gardens Hotel? Share your experiences!