“Very clean but noisy city centre hotel; good value.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jamiat Hotel

Save Saved
You added Jamiat Hotel to your Saves list
Jamiat Hotel
Kimathi St & Tubman Road | Box 1588 - 00606, Nairobi 00606, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Ranked #69 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
torquay
“Very clean but noisy city centre hotel; good value.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

I stayed there for three nights at the beginning of a recent trip to Nairobi. The staff were excellent; attentive and helpful. The room was a bit dark and it was noisy because of the close proximity to a busy road and the Mosque. But each day it was cleaned from top to bottom and inspected by the manager. It was not very cosy; the room had a high ceiling, there were no flowers, stationery or drinks to make you feel more at home. It was a bit like an Etap Hotel in Europe; comparitively good value, clean and functional. OK if you are on a short stop over or as a first port of call before you sort out a better hotel for the rest of your stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Turkish first
Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

I was so upset with this hotel.
I went for the conference in Nairobi, my colleague who booked this hotel for us with African point. We had paid in advance. I arrived one day late, it was suppose to be our second nights at this hotel, the receptionist not allow me to checkin and asked to go and find someplace else to stay. It was 4 a.m. in the morning, heavy raining and I was alone. Could you imagine that these people asked a young lady who travel alone to go and find some place else to stay at the night ? Finally they decided to give me a room around 9 o'clock. No reimburst for the first nigt.

When my coleague arrived, they had said the same that they did not have our name in the list, and did not give her a room... This is the worse experience in my life.

The room is night but too many electric problems and the internet is not available as they said in the web site. It was very noise, I was unable to sleep for whole week I was there.

Receptionists are really bad. One of them had tried to charge us 2 times more for the internet which was not working at all.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

my wife and i stayed at the jamiat hotel in february for one night before heading off to mombasa, we enjoyed our stay the staff very friendly , and always willing to helpwith advice,the room was very clean the bed comfortable and breakfast thrown in, a word of warning!!!! the hotel is right next door to a mosque and very large speakers that convey muslum offerings at any given time, not to mention that the hotel does not serve alcohol and yes i would stay there again. dunny1

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

I only stayed here for two nights but was quite pleased.

The location of this hotel is VERY good if you want easy access to the downtown. However downtown Nairobi has a bit of a reputation for crime and this particular hotel, though only blocks from the central corner, is in one of the areas with a poor reputation. So I would not say the location is for everyone.

The hotel is located on the top floor of a small mall. It is not quiet. The call to prayer is regular for the nearby mosque and the bustle of the city is right outside your window (and down 3 or 4 flights).

The room itself was quite classy. With nice white bedding and dark wooden furniture. I was very pleased with the nice brand new fixtures in the bathroom.

At the time I stayed they were speaking of ongoing improvements as the hotel had only opened the week before - maybe now there is more on offer in the way of facilities.

All in all I would definitely stay again and would recommend it for a reliable comfortable room which will get you close enough to the downtown attractions that you will not need a taxi (except after dark), and if you do need a taxi it will only be a couple of dollars.

• Stayed February 2007
U.S.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

I spent a few days at the Jamiat earlier this year. The day before I left the hotel I had an expensive laptop stolen from my room. The hotel manager assured me that the hotel would compensate me for the stolen property. However, when I left the country they renegged on their promise and now refuse to compensate me. I suspect hotel staff were involved in the theft.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

First I must preface this review with the fact that this hotel is aggressively marketed on the hotel’s website to be a “four star luxury hotel,” and priced ($75/night for a single bed and breakfast) on par with the low-end rooms at the Hilton, I expected to find just that and quickly made a reservation thinking this would be a great deal.

I hopped in a taxi at the airport and the first warning sign was the fact that the driver had no idea where to go. Thank goodness I had a map of the place with me because he had to keep consulting it. When I arrived, security guards from the street helped carry my luggage up the two flights of stairs to the hotel. I’m not sure to who these guards belonged.. but they acted as though they belonged there. No doormen in this “luxury” establishment.

Well, the photo of the bed on the website is accurate, but a brick may be softer. There was no turn down service in this “luxury” establishment so I was forced to wrestle with the dirty mosquito net as the bed frame did not make it easy to use the net. The net was necessary – mosquitoes were all over the room. There was no air conditioning to repel the mosquitoes and the room was stifling hot. No screens made the opening of windows an impossibility. There wasn’t even a fan to help cool the room. Now, let’s launch into the things that you do not see in the photos on the website. Let’s start with the “sitting area.” Here, you can kick back and relax in a tiny chair covered in plastic watching the blank screen of the TV because it does not work. Want to sit on the balcony? Well, there’s no chair, it’s dirty, and the plaster is chipped and cracked. And the room where I was faced an alley.

Now let me launch into the bathroom. I stayed in a “superior” room so I can only imagine what you get in a standard. Shower was lukewarm at best but since the room was so hot, I didn’t really care. It was enclosed by a shower curtain which seemed unsanitary. Towels were placed over the top of the shower rod which seemed sort of gross and they felt like sandpaper. The bathroom was very small, had exposed plumbing and generally looked unfinished. There was a long hair dangling from the hair dryer.

Finally, I’ll move into my night. The room was stifling hot. It felt like Mombasa. The hotel is basically above a shopping mall so that the rooms surround the staircase descending into the mall. The noise was horrible both coming from the people hanging out down in the mall area (it was closed but the guards were talking there). There’s absolutely nothing to drown out the noise because you could literally jump from my room’s front door down onto the first floor of the mall. Even someone shuffling down the hall in flip flops echoed. The noise coming from the outside was worse. Even after taking an ambien, the noise from the cars outside woke me up at 4am.

I decided this was not the place for me and decided to pay a bit more and head over to the Stanley, my tried and true favorite. When I was packing up in the morning, I realized I dropped my mosquito repellant under the bed. I made the mistake of shining a flashlight under the bed to find it and the most disgusting things were found under the bed. I don’t think it had ever been cleaned under there. I’ll leave it up to your imagination. I packed my brand new white flip flops as the last thing and they were black on the bottoms… looked as though I had been outside.

This hotel is on the same level as the 680 and Meridian court. It wouldn’t be a place to go if you’re on a tight budget because it’s pretty expensive relatively speaking. If you are on a budget, there are a million places that are quieter, cleaner and nicer and far cheaper.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The lack of cleanliness, excessive noise and mosquitoes
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
munyithya, General Manager at Jamiat Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2008
Hallo Trip Advisor,

I wish to express my sincere appreciation to comments made by our visitors, it is through this kind of feedback that we will make Jamiat hotel the best place to stay in Nairobi.

While appreciating the guest concerns, i wish to assure the visitor that Jamiat has gone through a serious transformation on room refurbishment and staff trainings, it is rated among the best facilities in town a fact justified by the 100 percent bookings recorded in last three months.

I will appreciate more reviews to prove our unmarched quality of service delivery , clean environment , qualirty and clean linen comparable to 5 star hotels, staff friendliness and complete African hospitality jamiat touch.

I wish to welcomne all the readers and viewers for a discounted stay at the jamiat so that you can see for yourself why we are the best in town

Festus Munyithya
d.c
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

The hotel is in down town Nairobi…. It is modern, new, safe and clean. It is on the second floor of a shopping center and has a very good security. The staffs are professional and friendly. It has very fast and reliable internet connection.
Overall I would say this is probably one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Liked — the room and customer service
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Jamiat Hotel? Share your experiences!