“Good hotel with central location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jamiat Hotel

Save Saved
You added Jamiat Hotel to your Saves list
Jamiat Hotel
Kimathi St & Tubman Road | Box 1588 - 00606, Nairobi 00606, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Ranked #62 of 91 hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel with central location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

So far I stayed two times at this hotel. What attracted me to it was the location, cleanliness and the price. Although the hotel is on top of a shopping mall it ticked all my boxes.

The rooms are modern looking and are kept clean. Each room has a mosquito net, Broadband and cable TV.

One side of hotel is opposite a mosque so if you do not wish to be awaken by morning prayers ask for a room on the other side of the building.

Food is fine, at a good price.

The only negative that I can say is that it's on a third floor and no elevators. Also it might get busy outside and some the noise may be heard in the room but it's bearable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Turkish first
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

The room seemed small, as the bed was large. it's true, it can be noisy, but it's in a great central location- almost next to the central market. Bathroom adequate and super clean, scrubbed top to bottom daily (i saw the cleaner working hard on it) electrics a bit unstable, room safe, hanging space, tiny balcony with interesting views. VERY comfy bed and white cotton linen. towels old and frayed. plenty of shopping opportunities in the center below, i had a great pedicure for 150 Ksh. also a good health food store, one or two souvenir shops and plenty of computer repair shops. restaurant has buffet hot food constantly replenished, as well as a al carte. prices v reasonable. wonderful fresh juices.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
munyithya, General Manager at Jamiat Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2011
Many thanks for staying with us at the jamiat hotel and for creating time to share your valuable feedback. We have already started the process of replacing all the old linen and towels and i'm sure you will find the hotel much more better in your return visit.

My team appreciates your feedback and I am delighted that in some small way we were able take some stress out of your visit to Kenya. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Festus Munyithya
torquay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

I stayed there for three nights at the beginning of a recent trip to Nairobi. The staff were excellent; attentive and helpful. The room was a bit dark and it was noisy because of the close proximity to a busy road and the Mosque. But each day it was cleaned from top to bottom and inspected by the manager. It was not very cosy; the room had a high ceiling, there were no flowers, stationery or drinks to make you feel more at home. It was a bit like an Etap Hotel in Europe; comparitively good value, clean and functional. OK if you are on a short stop over or as a first port of call before you sort out a better hotel for the rest of your stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

I was so upset with this hotel.
I went for the conference in Nairobi, my colleague who booked this hotel for us with African point. We had paid in advance. I arrived one day late, it was suppose to be our second nights at this hotel, the receptionist not allow me to checkin and asked to go and find someplace else to stay. It was 4 a.m. in the morning, heavy raining and I was alone. Could you imagine that these people asked a young lady who travel alone to go and find some place else to stay at the night ? Finally they decided to give me a room around 9 o'clock. No reimburst for the first nigt.

When my coleague arrived, they had said the same that they did not have our name in the list, and did not give her a room... This is the worse experience in my life.

The room is night but too many electric problems and the internet is not available as they said in the web site. It was very noise, I was unable to sleep for whole week I was there.

Receptionists are really bad. One of them had tried to charge us 2 times more for the internet which was not working at all.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

my wife and i stayed at the jamiat hotel in february for one night before heading off to mombasa, we enjoyed our stay the staff very friendly , and always willing to helpwith advice,the room was very clean the bed comfortable and breakfast thrown in, a word of warning!!!! the hotel is right next door to a mosque and very large speakers that convey muslum offerings at any given time, not to mention that the hotel does not serve alcohol and yes i would stay there again. dunny1

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

I only stayed here for two nights but was quite pleased.

The location of this hotel is VERY good if you want easy access to the downtown. However downtown Nairobi has a bit of a reputation for crime and this particular hotel, though only blocks from the central corner, is in one of the areas with a poor reputation. So I would not say the location is for everyone.

The hotel is located on the top floor of a small mall. It is not quiet. The call to prayer is regular for the nearby mosque and the bustle of the city is right outside your window (and down 3 or 4 flights).

The room itself was quite classy. With nice white bedding and dark wooden furniture. I was very pleased with the nice brand new fixtures in the bathroom.

At the time I stayed they were speaking of ongoing improvements as the hotel had only opened the week before - maybe now there is more on offer in the way of facilities.

All in all I would definitely stay again and would recommend it for a reliable comfortable room which will get you close enough to the downtown attractions that you will not need a taxi (except after dark), and if you do need a taxi it will only be a couple of dollars.

• Stayed February 2007
U.S.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

I spent a few days at the Jamiat earlier this year. The day before I left the hotel I had an expensive laptop stolen from my room. The hotel manager assured me that the hotel would compensate me for the stolen property. However, when I left the country they renegged on their promise and now refuse to compensate me. I suspect hotel staff were involved in the theft.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Jamiat Hotel? Share your experiences!