“The charming Meridian” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 105 Hotels in Nairobi
shoal bay
“The charming Meridian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Just back from Africa, ending with 3 memorable days at the grand old Meridian Court.
Having read reviews before we left we were a little apprehensive about staying there, but found our experience absolutely excellent!
Sure, it's ageing and in need of some expenditure and work, but refurbishment was happening while we were there, and we didn't have any complaints at all. Our room (Standard Double) was huge, with seperate living room and kitchen, all staff were friendly and courteous, and meals were varied and beautiful ... and the afternoons at the poolside bar on the roof were sooo relaxing.
What more could you ask for at the price, and within walking distance of incredible shopping, that close to the city?

Room Tip: We had a Standard Double room on the 4th floor overlooking the entrance. No complaints from us ...!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is an excellent hotel in the central business district and value for money. I had stayed here for 3 nights. The breakfast was good with a mix of continental and Indian cuisine. The hotel staff was very good, courteous and helpful. Even the guard at the main entrance used to inquire where you are going after sunset showing concern and guide whether one should go there walking or take a taxi ( keeping in mind the way things work in Nairobi). The food is great especially the club sandwich and value for money. The hotel has a pool parlour, so you can play pool while having beer/snacks within the hotel in the evening in case you do not want to venture out. As i said the hotel is in the CBD, hence most of the things are at a stones throw away distance. The rooms are clean and spacious. My room had a living room as well and the sleep quality was quite good. This hotel has a rooftop swimming pool, however I had could not use since it was winter in Kenya.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Queanbeyan, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed here for two nights and spent the second night in the bathroom with a tummy upset. I felt sorry for the people in the room next door. I only had breakfast at the hotel - a buffet with a small range of choices - but of course, I cannot say it was hotel food that caused my illness. The room consisted of a bedroom and separate shower, bathroom, and lounge room. However I did not feel like spending much time in the room; a dull colour scheme, stained linen, dusty carpet and the traffic noise meant that the balconies were un-usable. The bed was hard but this is common in Asia and Africa and the mosquito nets were put in place each afternoon. Staff were generally helpful but not overly friendly. There were renovations taking place on my floor during the day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed in this hotel as it was favorite with my company management but found all sort of malpractices in this. Prostitutes sitting in lobby/restaurants. Front desk guys always eager to rob you. Low IQ waiters in the restaurants who will always end with wrong dishes or will not come back to you at all. The only good thing about this hotel was the breakfast spread and of course the indian chef. God bless him.

Room Tip: Try to get some room in 680 hotel instead
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

i have had the privilage of staying at the meridian court hotel,nairobi,many times during my visits to kenya.
it is a comfortable hotel,good clean rooms,nice indian food,great service,ideally located in prime business locality.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Port Harcourt, Nigeria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Meridian Hotel Nairobi has been a regular stopover for me on all my vacations in Nairobi Kenya.
The reason is because all the standard/double rooms have an ante-room, bedroom, toilet,
and shower (all seperate). Because of this I am most comfortable although I know of better
and costlier alternatives.
Secondly Meridian is situated on Muranga (I hope my geography of Nairobi is spot on) road
in the Central Business District part of Nairobi.
Thirdy the price range is about $100 USD range for a standard room. This for me is within
my budget.
For the afore reasons I have stuck to Meridian. However there are a few issues I have had to
put up with namely the styling of the rooms I find dated, the windows above the entrance doors
to some rooms have no mosquitio netting (I suffered the effects in the Easter of 2011), cabinet beds (comfortable) but so retro and no air conditioner (not really an issue since I live in much warmer climes).
Room Service is OK, the lift works, staff are courteous and friendly (including front desk) and room
service is fine.
I consider the rooms on the Second floor and above as suitable because on the first floor (I think)
the verandahs have anti-burglary bars which obscures the panoramic view from up. Then there is
the noise from the mosque to consider particularly on fridays which the first floor overlooks directly.
I have had to change rooms because of this more than once.
Summarily, a pleasing place to stay in that city for that price

PS: Happy to hear my next stay attracts a 10% discount.

REVIEWER: FURO MATTHEW KAMBI

Room Tip: Second floor and above are a must for standard/double rooms due to noise mainly from the mosque and...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
MeridianHotelKenya, Guest Relations Manager at Meridian Court Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Furo,

Thank you for choosing Meridian over the years and taking time to give us your feedback. We are glad you love the location and the frienfliness of our staff. Over the past month, we have redone our door meshes to prevent mosquitos from getting into the rooms . we welcome any suggestions to help us improve our service and hope to see you next time.
Jinja, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Meridian Court Hotel is situated just of one of the main streets in Nairobi (Moi Avenue) so there is easy access to the city centre - within easy walking distance. The hotel is clean and spacious and one of my favourite facilities is that one gets a sitting room as well as a bedroom. The rooms are adequately furnished and clean. The staff are always friendly, welcoming and ready to help. Another aspect I like is that there is secure underground parking.
Breakfast is good, with a wide choice of foods for most tastes, although no pork products due to the religion of the owners, which I respect.
There is a great Indian restaurant on the ground floor which serves many delicious dishes.
The surroundings may not be the best in Nairobi but I have never felt unsafe either reaching or leaving the hotel, and with a taxi park just outside transport is easy.
I hope to be able to continue to use this hotel for any future visits to Nairobi as it offers good value for money.

Room Tip: I prefer a room looking over Muranga Road as in the past I have been disturbed early in the morning...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
MeridianHotelKenya, Guest Relations Manager at Meridian Court Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear Johnk58,

Thank you for your kind sentiments and being with us for the past 20 years. You are always welcome.

Been to Meridian Court Hotel? Share your experiences!