“A perfect start to our African safari!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added House of Waine to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
House of Waine
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Masai Lane & Bogani Road | Karen, PO Box 25035, Nairobi 00603, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 102 Hotels in Nairobi
Melbourne
“A perfect start to our African safari!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Our first night in Africa could not have been more perfect. This boutique hotel is quite gorgeous and an oasis in an otherwise very frenetic city.
Our rooms (the Safari and then??) were perfect for a family of four and we felt completely at home due to the beautiful and understated service from Dennis, Maurice, Robert, Mary and all the team. We especially loved the hot water bottles in our beds when we came back to our rooms after dinner.

Tea by the pool, wine by the fire place, dinner in the lovely and welcoming dining room - all was sublime.

House of Waine is the prefect stepping stone onto or after safari and we loved every minute of it.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HoWNairobi, Manager at House of Waine, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
It was a pleasure hosting you and your family at House of Waine. Thank you for staying with us and for your kind feedback.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, started off your Safari well and hope you had a great time.

We all look forward to hosting you again on your next stay in Nairobi.

House of Waine team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I actually first stayed at the House of Waine at the end of a very hectic and busy safari. I had a large group and just wanted to unwind and relax. I was pooped!! The moment the driver took me through the gates of this property I knew instantly that this place was very special! I really do love it and always feel that I am back at home when I walk through the welcoming doors of the lobby. The House of Waine is also very close to Wilson Airport which is great for people on safari. I stay at the House of Waine every time I am in Kenya. Many things make this place special. First, the staff. Many have been there for a long time. This speaks volumes about a property. They are obviously being treated right. I love seeing their great big smiles when I arrive. They are sweet, friendly, and always very helpful! Second, I love the accommodations. The rooms are spacious, cozy, and very clean. There is plenty of room for your luggage and anything else you might have. There are also complimentary nuts, water, and cookies. Homemade cookies!! If you eat them all, which I have on occasion, they will politely bring you more. I have my favorite room which I always ask for. It has a beautiful balcony with an incredible view of the back garden and pool.

The food is incredible!! It is very, very, very good. On occasion I have special ordered things when I am tired and don't want to leave my room. The last time I was there I ordered spaghetti. It truly was the best spaghetti I have ever had. Another time I ordered a vegetarian pizza. Again, it was the best pizza I have ever had. Really!! Having dinner in their beautiful dining room is an unforgettable experience too. I have had the most incredible meals there. The sitting room has a large fireplace which is wonderful on chilly nights. It is all very romantic. I have a ritual when I stay at the House of Waine. I always buy as many pink roses as I can on my last day in Kenya at a little flower stand that is close by. I enjoy these roses during the day and leave them in the room for someone else to enjoy when I depart. Always, when I leave Kenya, I leave my heart so leaving these roses helps.

I love, love, love the House of Waine. It truly is "My Special Place!" I hope that one day you get to enjoy it as much as I have!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
HoWNairobi, Manager at House of Waine, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Thank you for choosing House of Waine and for your kind feedback, it is very encouraging.

We highly appreciate your support and are glad that you enjoy our services whenever you stay with us including the accommodation, food and the service offered by our staff.

We all look forward to warmly welcoming you back to your special place.

House Of Waine team.
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

House of Waine is a charming beautiful boutique hotel that allows you to have that quiet refreshing alone time with your partner in a homely fashion. It was lovely of them to go out of their way to set up romantic scenarios for us mmhmmm. If you want to experience the hustle and bustle of Nairobi, you can always hire a taxi to take you into town and come back to relax in this quiet oasis.The staff were professional and always on hand to help us. The food was quite delicious but being from West Africa, we craved our pepper-filled meals.We think there should be a variety of both continental and Kenyan dishes on the menu so as to give visitors a taste of Kenya.It was quite disappointing that the pool was not heated up as expected ( one of the many reasons we chose HOW). Connection to the wi-fi was instant and the mini-bar was free with daily stocking. Our room and bathroom were also cleaned twice daily with hot water bottles provided at night (so thoughtful). Lots of landmarks to visit within Karen( where HOW is situated) too so you can never get bored. It was a lovely experience that re-ignited the spark in our romance and we will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a room that overlooks the garden and pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HoWNairobi, Manager at House of Waine, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for staying with us, we were very pleased and honored to host you.
We are glad you found our staff professional, our meals delicious and enjoyed your stay.
We have taken note that the swimming pool was not heated to expectation and also that you would have preferred meals spicy, this will help us improve.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This is my second stay at the house of Waine and it does not disappoint. Same excellent staff and such lovely genuine, friendly welcome back. Rooms are excellent, everything you need and fresh Kenyan coffee with a plunger, the home cooked biscuits are lovely touch. You will not be disappointed if you choose The House of Waine. So nice to be out of the bustle of Nairobi even if it is just of an evening, once you have fought the traffic this hotel is so worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HoWNairobi, Manager at House of Waine, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
It was indeed a pleasure welcoming you back and we are glad we made your stay enjoyable once again. We highly appreciate your polite feedback and look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Thank you.

Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Amazing staff, great rooms, luxuriously decorated, the food was awesome, the reading material in the rooms relevant and FREE mini -bar!! Luxury worth your money.
Great place for couples and easily accessible

Room Tip: Malaika room is super spacious
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HoWNairobi, Manager at House of Waine, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for your kind feedback. It was a pleasure hosting you and we are all happy you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Lovely small hotel with beautiful grounds. Being located in Karen it is convenient to many tourist destinations -- Karen Blixen Museum, Giraffe Sanctuary etc. without having to endure the congestion in downtown Nairobi. Due to location (taxi's not sitting out front) I would suggest organizing ground transportation in advance. Hotel arranged airport transfers for us and probably could arrange for a hired car/driver as well.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HoWNairobi, Manager at House of Waine, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for choosing House of Waine and for the kind feedback, it was a pleasure hosting you. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and took time to enjoy some of the attractions in the Karen area.

Indeed we can organize transfers and hired cars within 15 minutes.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

This place is lovely. Old colonial style and full of great furniture. Very quiet which suited us nicely. The staff are great and the food was good. It seemed to be quite low occupancy which meant their was a slight lack of atmosphere but this is a minor issue. The only thing I would question is the extra $90 they charge for a fold down bed for my daughter. Seems steep but I think this may be the going rate in nairobi.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HoWNairobi, Manager at House of Waine, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
It was a pleasure hosting you and we highly appreciate your kind feedback. We are glad your family and you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the food and service offered.

As a policy children below 02 years stay free of charge while from 3 to 11 years a 50% charge applies hence the extra charge.

We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Thanks,

House of Waine team.

Been to House of Waine? Share your experiences!