“Excellent place near Nairobi” 5 of 5 stars

House of Waine
Masai Lane & Bogani Road | Karen, PO Box 25035, Nairobi 00603, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Sammamish, WA USA
“Excellent place near Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

House of Waine is an excellent place to stay in Karen, a tony suburb of Nairobi. We spent our first two nights there after our long flights from the west coast of the US. Excellent in every way! Very close to the elephant orphanage, giraffe manor and Karen Blixen's house/museum. Road construction makes getting there from either Nairobi airport a bit of a time consuming event, but it's worth it if you're interested in what's close by. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The House of Waine is located close to the Giraffe Center and is a good base for stay in Nairobi. We were not able to use the swimming pool because it was too cold in the morning and evening when we were at the hotel. We found the staff to be spectacular, from the kitchen to the crew that takes your bags and the managers. Unfortunately we weren't able to sleep because they had some 3am arrivals who were a noisy group and hung out in the hallway to chat until 5:30am. Our room was directly over the front desk so perhaps that contributed to the noise. I also found the bath tub/shower a bit awkward.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
oz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The hotel itself is lovely, but it is a little out of the way and with Nairobi's traffic congestion can take more than an hour to get to from the city - this will probably be fixed with the new road that is under construction, but until then, if you want to visit the city, it might be better staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Victoria Room has a lovely claw foot bath (the only one) but no shower.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

If you are looking for lush gardens; peace and quiet then this is the place to be. It has conference facilities and a swimming pool. the gardens are well maintained and it is placed in a quiet surrounding. this is perfect for those who want to be in the city but away from city noise and traffic. the food is also well thought of and nicely done.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We spent a night in House of Waine on our way through to Masai Mara and found it very convenient for Wilson Airport. The staff were very welcoming and we decided to not go out but have dinner in the hotel and the food was wonderful! The rooms were big and ours were interconnecting and had all the amenities we needed. We could have stayed longer!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

House of Waine is one of the most thoughtful and helpful hotel’s we have ever stayed in, and is by far the best accommodation in Nairobi. My husband and I were on our honeymoon volunteering in Kenya, and I got e coli. After two nights of being very very sick and having no running water, we went to the hospital. We were staying in Ngong and on the way back I decided I really just needed a night at a hotel to wash myself properly and to be able to flush the toilet. We drove around Karen in our volunteer agencie's matatu looking for a safe and comfortable place to stay. We came upon House of Waine, we had no reservation but hoped since it was low season they may have a room. When we came in they were so kind to me, I explained our situation and they said that they had one room available. Unfortunately it was out of our price range but when they found out we were volunteering gave us a wonderful discount. Before we committed to the room the staff asked if I would like to see it. Upon entry all I could say was YES YES YES! Huge comfortable bed, shower, amazing bath tub, flushing toilet. This was what I needed to recover properly. While I snuggled into bed my husband made the reservations and went to get our luggage. When he came back he told me that not only did they give us a discount but they arranged for a complimentary bottle of champagne (which my husband enjoyed for both of us) and a private dinner set up to celebrate our honeymoon that night. The staff were so kind and concerned for me, and did everything to make our stay as comfortable as possible. I made myself get up for dinner although there was not much I felt I could eat, and we came upon the most romantic setting for dinner….fire lit, candles everywhere, the room to ourselves. It was amazing and wonderful. The best part was while I wanted to enjoy the same delicious fancier food my husband was eating, my stomach just couldn’t handle it. All I really wanted was a toasted cheese and coke light…..House of Waine made that possible although it was not on the menu and I finally was able to eat after 3 days of not eating anything. It was so wonderful for both of us we ended up staying an extra night. They even let us borrow a laptop for our room so we could e-mail our family, Upon our departure they wished us well and gave us little gifts. I would recommend House of Wayne to anyone traveling in Nairobi looking for a luxurious and safe place to stay (which can be quite hard to come by!) Thank you to the staff for taking such good care of me at one of the most uncomfortable times in my life.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Nairobi Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

House of Waine is a luxurious hotel in the heart of Karen, a lovely leafy green suburb of Nairobi
The enormous master suite may be the best suite at any hotel in all of Kenya and the spacious bathroom is just sublime. The grounds are beautiful and restful and the peace and quiet make for an ideal experience either before or after your safari. My only complaint would be the food, which is mediocre and not up to the standard of the rest of the hotel services. I would highly recommend House of Waine.

Room Tip: Ask for the master suite!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to House of Waine? Share your experiences!