“Good as an airport hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Book Now Pay at the Hotel
Ranked #39 of 129 Hotels in Nairobi
Rockville, Maryland
“Good as an airport hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is not a 5-star, and probably note even a 4 star. But in terms of hotel for an overnight stay, it does the job and does it beautifully. I was there 2 yrs ago and I had told them that if they don't clean up their act, that hotel will be out of business soon; though I doubt it would be true, since they're the only game in town within a 6-mile radius. If you've ever experienced traffic in Nairobi, you'd sleep in any flea bag just to avoid missing your flight. But to my surprise, this time the team there was so customer-oriented that I could have pinched myself to know if this was the same hotel of 2 yrs ago. Case in point: around 7pm, I ordered an appetizer (samosas) and a main course. As I said that I was very hungry, they offered to bring me the appetizer first, which they did about 8 minutes later. After I ate the 4 (huge) samosas, I felt full. So, I called the kitchen and told them to hold the main course, and I'd call them when I felt I could eat it. Around 10 pm, I called them, they then brought the main course and everything I asked for (ice, ice pick, water, tabasco, etc.). I needed an adapter for my laptop. Called for it and got it in less than 5 min. Shower cap, same thing. I just couldn't believe this was the same hotel.
Breakfast is included in the room rate, and is plenty. I was leaving at 6h00 AM, and the restaurant was already open and staffed. Got a nice omelette, with all the trimmings, which got me starting my day on a good footing. Transport to the airport took less than 10 minutes. Had I stayed in town, I would have been looking at 1 hour at the very least.
For an overnight stay or even if you've been in Nairobi for several days, it makes all the sense in the world to spend your last night there: takes the stress out of the return flight.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My flight from Madagascar was delayed then i missed my connecting flight to Djibouti,Kenya Airways took in charge of my stopover in Nairobi.
They put me at Panari Hotel,as it is my second time in Nairobi i found perfet the location of Panari that makes you avoiding horrible traffic.
Staff are welcoming,food are good,room is clean and nice bath room,unfortunately the fan in the bath room is terrible,that is very annoying,and you need more than 4mn for elevator.
Anyway i recommend the Panari for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2012
Helmsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We, ten of us, were sent here by Kenyan airways when our flight was cancelled. The staff were excellent and efficient at organising or reception and rooms, and gave us lunch, even though it was after hours. The rooms were excellent and comfortable, although the layout was quirky with shops (mostly vacant on the ground and first floors).

It was disappointing that there was a pool, as we had no luggage - and thereby lies another small, but irritating fault. Given that this is an hotel used by airlines when flights are cancelled, i was very surprised that the desk could not give me or sell me a disposable razor. They volunteered to send someone out in a car to get a razor but who knows how much that would have cost! A colleague had already come over and brought us toothbrushes and paste, so I didn't ask for that, but wonder?

But we were fed well, including breakfast at 5.15 a.m. (often not possible in hotels!) and our enforced stopover was pretty comforatable

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed there for 10 night and the breakfast and dinner was bad for me. If you stay there, you have limited options for dinning since most of the resturants are located in the city and the traffic jam to the city is horrible. I had to change to Oli-Sereni hotel just accros the street and found the food to be ok. Though in both hotels the service is not the level of what you pay; $300 per night very very expensive. The only advantage you have is it is near to the airport and you can avoid the traffic jam if you don't want to go to the city.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the park so that you can be able to see the animals
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Located near the airport (which is the only plus that I can think of), The Panari comes across as a below average hotel for the rates you pay. The interiors are tacky and gaudy and the room service is poor. The staff is friendly (but then aren't they supposed to be so??) and make up for the overall inefficiency of the way things are run - right from the check in to the check out process. The security is good - which is a big positive as far as Nairobi is concerned.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Corfu, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stayed in Panari just for a night stop, to catch a flight next morning, so I quess i can't really say much, only from an overnight quest point of view. If you're looking for a hotel for the same reason, Panari is good, provided you're willing to pay the high price.. It's 10 minutes drive from the airport, about 20USD one way on a taxi or the hotel shuttle. Hotel is big, 10 floors, nowhere close to some place to go, and there is security. The room is spacious and clean. There is internet connection, but not mini bar (there is a cooler but empty). There is a restaurant and a piano-bar but i can't say for the food since i didn't try.. The staff tries to be friendly and helpful. For an overnight stop, it certainly does the job pretty good, but comes at a rather high cost..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Panari is great.
Unfortunately it's a bit of a hot spot so there is extra security and a lot of black suits!.
Anyway overall they are just doing their job - so i feel safe there every time i stay in NBO.
Jude