“Not a good hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Not a good hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Over priced, not good decor, slow and somewhat unhelpful staff. It took me 30 minutes to check in and 30 minutes to check out and I paid cash!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

As part of a business trip, I booked reservations at the Panari Hotel due to the close proximity of Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. It is a short shuttle trip to and from the airport. I stayed in November of 2011 and the shuttle fee was $12.00 USD per person/each way for a shuttle. On my return in December of 2011, the fee had increased to $24.00 USD per person/each way. I had already prebooked the shuttle, so I was able to get the old rate.
I also negotiated a rate down to $150.00 USD per night, based on the corporate rate. I believe the listed rate is $300.00 USD per night.
I did find that between the hours of 3 pm and 6 pm it is next to impossible to find any place within the hotel to eat. I arrived at 2:45 pm and after checking in I asked about eating and was told that room service would be my only option until 6 pm. Not too bad, but something to consider if you are hungry. The airport actually had a couple of decent places to get a quick bite and some very good coffee.
One of the restaurants on the second floor, the Al Pasha Coffee Lounge and bar was a good place to get a light lunch. I enjoyed the hamburger and the Kilimanjaro beer. (Which is a great value compared to USA standards, and it is a truly delightful tasting beer). I was told during my December stay that several of the businesses located in the hotel no longer accepted US dollars. Just two weeks prior, it was not an issue.
I read another review that discussed the lack of coordination on the elevators, and that was a minor, but irritating part of my stay.
Lastly, the charges for Internet access are steep at $10.00 per day. I had to use a network cable to connect once in the room, and then had to clean my system several times due to various cookies that were downloaded. I took about five viruses off the computer once I returned home, but I also used the computer in other public access points, so I cannot blame it to the hotel.

Room Tip: I would recommend a floor on the ninth floor that looks toward the Nairobi National Park. You may no...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Only spent 36hours at the Panari-a quick business trip.
The hotel is secure, clean and room was comfortable with modern decor and facilities.
Staff were all helpfull.
Didn't get time to use pool, gym etc
In summary -for Nairobi, it provides a secure environment and caters to your needs together with the convience of being near the airport.

Room Tip: Instist on a quite room,not facing the road.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Kampala, Uganda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

Being put up at the Panari as part of a media group invitational to Nairobi, I had to stay where I was booked. Arrival handling was fairly swift, as I helped to find my own name on the guest arrival list. Getting upstairs one has to watch both elevators, which are not 'coordinated' and guests and staff are often seen to move from one to the other, pushing the buttons to eventually get one.
My 'superior' room, resembling a junior suite, was spacious, though the wardrobe unit was not 'built in' and standing next to what in a private residence would probably serve as a drink cabinet, wine bottle holders and back mirror included.
The desk was on the small side, a challenge for a writer used to spread out and a single socket at the desk made it a further challenge to keep all the camera and phone batteries charged up. On check in I was, upon making my case, given the courtesy of free internet access, for a travel writer an absolutely crucial component, but otherwise guests have to pay for this service I was told.
The bed and pillows were comfy, the duvet warm enough for the coolish nights, but lacking was 'dudu spray', aka anti insect spray, and when two calls to housekeeping would still not produce a can, subsequently causing nightly hunts for the little tormentors I eventually made a stop at a shop to buy my own.
A flat iron burn mark on the carpet stuck out like a sore thumb, and spoiled the impression of an otherwise clean room.
The dressing table, and I suppose ladies in particular will complain about this, lacked both overhead and side lighting but contained a hair dryer.
The bathroom, adequately equipped, had an exhaust fan installed which made far too much noise and was linked to the light switch, unable to switch it on separately. Perhaps this unit was faulty, but I rather guess those types from yesteryear just are noisy.
Another negative impression came from the traffic noise generated from the Mombasa highway, and double glazing, which could sharply reduce if not eliminate that noise, was notably absent. The view from 'this side' is clearly superior, allowing panoramic vistas of the Nairobi National Park and the Ngong Hills behind, but the noise at night, especially by seriously sick trucks, was ever filling my ears.
I only ever ate breakfast at the Panari, and that was adequate, though the breakfast cook tended to overheat the pan for the omelette and would not use butter as I requested but stuck to oil, prompting me to have one and then avoid it henceforth. The variety was there and the quality of the croissants, pastries and bread, fruits and juices, cannot be faulted.
The waiters, as often observed, were obsessed with clearing plates, and needed determined fending off, especially on my first 'appearance' when 4 in a row came and tried to remove my bread plate while I gave no indication that I 'was done'. One in particular amused me when I ordered cold milk for my tea and she brought another cup, full of cold milk, before seeing my face going into a big question mark mode, then figuring out what she had just accomplished and off she rushed to mend her mistake and bring a little milk pot instead.
The staff, all the staff I should say from the front entrance security to the doorman to the reception to the dining room were friendly and approachable.
On check out I was presented with a bill for my first day's breakfast, to which I was 'invited' by the reception staff on check in who told me 'breakfast is served over there if you want to have some tea or coffee' ... at 2.398 Kenya Shillings a whopper galore and probably what I would expect at the Ritz. I had been booked by my hosts on B&B, so this charge was unexpected to say the least but extorted anyway as otherwise I would not get a gate pass to leave the hotel.
In closing, having been booked there the saying goes 'do not look a gift horse in the mouth' but frankly, this would not be a hotel of choice when I travel under my own steam.
Located closely to the airport it is a suitable transit hotel for passengers on delayed flights but that is about as much as there is to say about the Panari.

Room Tip: Choose between the view, which goes with traffic noise, or else get to the quieter side and keep the...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

Had to stay overnight here due to a delayed transit flight through Nairobi.
Found it a Decent Hotel, not flashy, Staff were courteous and helpful.
The rooms were large and spacious and the Hotel is close to the Jomo Kenyatta international airport, which makes this a good stopover hotel for those in transit.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights during a work oriented conference.I was pleasantly surprised by the standards of cleanliness of the hotel(i have had horrible experiences)The food was good but the breakfast was excellent! The staff was friendly and helpful all through my stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Tigre-Buenos Aires
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

Spent 6 days in the hotel. Very secure entrance and security people everywhere. Very good Gym, steam and sauna. Excellent swimming pool.
Very good Brazilian style restaurant.
Location is near airport but far from town....anyway, not many things to do there.

Room Tip: Look for rooms facing the national park
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Panari Hotel? Share your experiences!