“Will Be Back Soon” 5 of 5 stars

336 Karen Road | P.O Box 163, Nairobi 00502, Kenya   |
Maryland
“Will Be Back Soon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

You can come to the restaurant for historic purposes alone and its great. However, the food, staff and grounds makes you want to come back!

I enjoyed the Pwani vegetable dish and would get this again. I was excited to see they have a music and shisha night and I will make sure to go to this in the future.

A great meal and break while in Nairobi.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We had such a great meal, we sat outside, heard the birds, our lunch was amazing, we also had a beautiful wine that was made in south Africa. The staff were excellent there, very happy to serve you, the environment we just so pleasant, Love every minute of it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kirkland, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Happened upon the Karen Blixen coffee garden. The food is excellent, service great, and lovely atmosphere. We ended up eating here 3 times during our stay in Nairobi, and were never disappointed. I ordered the hamburger, which is possibly the best hamburger I've ever had. The cappuccino's were great as well.

While the prices are a little high, it's worth the expense to find such great food in a peaceful setting. Highly recommend a stop for a meal. Would like to stay there next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Quick lunch in way to the museum. Beautiful setting. Lovely food. The burger the best for weeks! Not too expensive and just an all round nice place. Would like to come back and stay here. Great service by well trained staff.

• Stayed October 2013
Kusatsu, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had lunch in their garden after visiting Karen Blixen museum. First of all, they have a gorgeous garden and serve pretty good food. Waters and waitresses are well trained and very attentive unlike any other restaurants in Nairobi.
I payed nearly USD 60 for a buffet lunch and a glass of wine and wish I were hungrier!!

I must say there was no locals (as far as I could tell) but full of Caucasians who spend a lot of money for the food and paintings sold in the garden. Apart from that, it was nice and relaxing.

It would be nice to go there with some companies!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was our last stop and hotel/accommodation at the end of a two-week trip to Kenya. We found it was the most affordable of all the top level hotels in the Karen area of Nairobi which was one reason we chose it. We also chose to stay there because of its historic significance (located on the farm in the book/movie, "Out of Africa". The cottage we stayed in was beautiful and very comfortable (especially after all the time we'd just spent in the bush). Service was excellent from the get go. I arranged for our cottage via email since I was booking from the US. Responses from hotel staff were within 24 hours or less every time I sent them a communication. They were also very accommodating: from allowing us to store our extra luggage we couldn't take on the small safari flights from accepting and managing a delivery we had delivered there. One wouldn't even get this kind of personalized service from a Four Seasons in the US. The hotel restaurant bar is also very good - food was excellent as was the service, the cocktails and wine selection.
Also, this hotel is very proximate to the Giraffe Center, Elephant Orphanage, Blixen Museum, Shopping and other excellent dining.

Room Tip: It is cheaper on a per person basis if you "share" the cost of a double versus purchasing...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Quebec City, Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here 4 times over the past two years. I am Canadian and have traveled to many countries. However, North Americans are surely to be pleasantly surprised at the superb service in upscale places in Kenya. The KBCG are no exception. We had travel complications, and Owen, Grace and Mitchelle at the reception were wonderful, as was Lilian, who helped in our cottage.

It is cold and damp in Nairobi in winter, but the fireplaces do cut the chill. The rooms are very spacious, especially relative to European hotels! Toiletries are even nice (and I am fussy, so I bring my own...but I especially liked the soaps).

Spa is good value and Mercy's hands are so strong, I asked her to ease up during my massage. Pedicure was just as nice as in Canada or the US but at a fraction of the cost. Do book a massage at the very least.

There is a small gym that satisfied my husband. Pretty pool but it was too cold to use. The poor lounge area is great and we liked to lunch there, as it was nicely secluded.

Restaurant food has improved over the past two years. I had the best steak bernaise in 25 years just last week!!! Sorry Texas and Calgary, but this filet was perfectly flavoured, textured and the sauce was perfectly seasoned on the side!!! Burger was great, the soups are delicious (even the simple tomato was excellent). We all loved the lamb meatballs. Salads were nice and fresh.

Very expensive to stay at the KBCG, at least by my pocketbook, but the value is reasonable. You feel very safe and secure. Yapping dogs woke me most nights, but apparently lots of people in this suburb keep them as security alarms (?). Distance is 20 min from Wilson airport (if you are chartering flights for safari) or anywhere from 1-2 hours from Nairobi Int Airport, depending on traffic.

Will surely return and highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Karen Blixen Coffee Garden & Cottages? Share your experiences!