“Amazing burger” 5 of 5 stars

336 Karen Road | P.O Box 163, Nairobi 00502, Kenya   |
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing burger”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Quick lunch in way to the museum. Beautiful setting. Lovely food. The burger the best for weeks! Not too expensive and just an all round nice place. Would like to come back and stay here. Great service by well trained staff.

• Stayed October 2013

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Kusatsu, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had lunch in their garden after visiting Karen Blixen museum. First of all, they have a gorgeous garden and serve pretty good food. Waters and waitresses are well trained and very attentive unlike any other restaurants in Nairobi.
I payed nearly USD 60 for a buffet lunch and a glass of wine and wish I were hungrier!!

I must say there was no locals (as far as I could tell) but full of Caucasians who spend a lot of money for the food and paintings sold in the garden. Apart from that, it was nice and relaxing.

It would be nice to go there with some companies!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was our last stop and hotel/accommodation at the end of a two-week trip to Kenya. We found it was the most affordable of all the top level hotels in the Karen area of Nairobi which was one reason we chose it. We also chose to stay there because of its historic significance (located on the farm in the book/movie, "Out of Africa". The cottage we stayed in was beautiful and very comfortable (especially after all the time we'd just spent in the bush). Service was excellent from the get go. I arranged for our cottage via email since I was booking from the US. Responses from hotel staff were within 24 hours or less every time I sent them a communication. They were also very accommodating: from allowing us to store our extra luggage we couldn't take on the small safari flights from accepting and managing a delivery we had delivered there. One wouldn't even get this kind of personalized service from a Four Seasons in the US. The hotel restaurant bar is also very good - food was excellent as was the service, the cocktails and wine selection.
Also, this hotel is very proximate to the Giraffe Center, Elephant Orphanage, Blixen Museum, Shopping and other excellent dining.

Room Tip: It is cheaper on a per person basis if you "share" the cost of a double versus purchasing...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Quebec City, Quebec
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here 4 times over the past two years. I am Canadian and have traveled to many countries. However, North Americans are surely to be pleasantly surprised at the superb service in upscale places in Kenya. The KBCG are no exception. We had travel complications, and Owen, Grace and Mitchelle at the reception were wonderful, as was Lilian, who helped in our cottage.

It is cold and damp in Nairobi in winter, but the fireplaces do cut the chill. The rooms are very spacious, especially relative to European hotels! Toiletries are even nice (and I am fussy, so I bring my own...but I especially liked the soaps).

Spa is good value and Mercy's hands are so strong, I asked her to ease up during my massage. Pedicure was just as nice as in Canada or the US but at a fraction of the cost. Do book a massage at the very least.

There is a small gym that satisfied my husband. Pretty pool but it was too cold to use. The poor lounge area is great and we liked to lunch there, as it was nicely secluded.

Restaurant food has improved over the past two years. I had the best steak bernaise in 25 years just last week!!! Sorry Texas and Calgary, but this filet was perfectly flavoured, textured and the sauce was perfectly seasoned on the side!!! Burger was great, the soups are delicious (even the simple tomato was excellent). We all loved the lamb meatballs. Salads were nice and fresh.

Very expensive to stay at the KBCG, at least by my pocketbook, but the value is reasonable. You feel very safe and secure. Yapping dogs woke me most nights, but apparently lots of people in this suburb keep them as security alarms (?). Distance is 20 min from Wilson airport (if you are chartering flights for safari) or anywhere from 1-2 hours from Nairobi Int Airport, depending on traffic.

Will surely return and highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2013
Irvine, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here twice on our way to and from safaris. The ambiance of the cottages is outstanding with lots of wood, stone and glass. The bedrooms are comfortable, the sitting area is also roomy and all of the rooms face a beautifully landscaped garden area. The staff were uniformly pleasant and helpful. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The double cottages, 7/8 and 9/10 are particularly lovely.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Let me just say that the website does not do it justice, so don't base your decision entirely on the official site. The place is BEAUTIFUL. Picturesque in every detail. The cabins are large, cozy and perfectly comfortable. The one I stayed in was a duplex with a shared balcony. The bedroom is spacious, with a huge comfortable bed and fireplace. There was a large dressing room and huge bathroom with full tub and candelabras (with candles you could light, a first for me and made me feel like a medieval princess!).

The staff was superb. All highly trained, helpful, intuitive and friendly, almost to a fault. The food was likewise delicious, I didn't taste anything that wasn't amazing. The gift store was the best value I found in Kenya, with products priced sometimes at half of that of other stores with the same item.

I didn't spend any time in Nairobi, but this oasis was far prettier, just superficially, than anywhere on the hour and half drive from the city. The place was immaculate and the gardens impeccable. The hookah lounge off the bar makes you feel as if you've suddenly wound up in Marrakesh. You'll meet great people in the bar, all with a great story to share.

The location near the local airport is fantastic, makes safaris an easy jaunt, the ride in from the International airport is no picnic, but if that's the price to pay, it's well worth it!

I loved my time there and hope very much that it won't be too long before I have a chance to return. It was the vacation of a lifetime, no exaggeration!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Have been to Nairobi a few times on business and never had the opportunity to explore but this time I was on holiday with my wife and hired a taxi for the full day for about $70. That gave us superb flexibility and the ability to go well just about anywhere! Until we realised that the driver wasn't the most knowledgeable driver we had ever had! Anyway undeterred we visited a few tourist spots and then hit him with please take us to the Karen Blixen Coffee Garden - and he had no idea! I told him it was in Karen - so that was a start!
So after stopping several times to ask the way we were very thirsty and quite hungry when we got there! But it was well worth the trouble. It was a Sunday afternoon and the beautiful tropical gardens were busy with couples, families and larger groups - many of whom were clearly ex-pats - all enjoying the sumptuous buffet that had been prepared.
Having spent a little time in Kenya I happen to believe Kenyan food is amongst the best I have ever had and what they put on at the Coffee House was quite superb. The Indian influence was very prevalent and the aromas and tastes just sent our taste buds into overdrive.
The whole experience was magnificent and provided an alternative view of Nairobi from the hustle and bustle of the chaotic but vibrant city. Not to be missed!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Karen Blixen Coffee Garden & Cottages? Share your experiences!