This was our last stop and hotel/accommodation at the end of a two-week trip to Kenya. We found it was the most affordable of all the top level hotels in the Karen area of Nairobi which was one reason we chose it. We also chose to stay there because of its historic significance (located on the farm in the book/movie, "Out of Africa". The cottage we stayed in was beautiful and very comfortable (especially after all the time we'd just spent in the bush). Service was excellent from the get go. I arranged for our cottage via email since I was booking from the US. Responses from hotel staff were within 24 hours or less every time I sent them a communication. They were also very accommodating: from allowing us to store our extra luggage we couldn't take on the small safari flights from accepting and managing a delivery we had delivered there. One wouldn't even get this kind of personalized service from a Four Seasons in the US. The hotel restaurant bar is also very good - food was excellent as was the service, the cocktails and wine selection.
Also, this hotel is very proximate to the Giraffe Center, Elephant Orphanage, Blixen Museum, Shopping and other excellent dining.
- Also Known As:
- Karen Blixen Coffee Garden & Cottages Hotel
- Karen Blixen Coffee Garden & Cottages Hotel Karen
- Karen Blixen Coffee Garden And Cottages
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The cottages are located in Karen, a beautiful, peaceful suburb approximately 20 miles from downtown Nairobi and about half a mile from the famous Karen Blixen Museum. The cottages are located in the midst of one of the oldest formal gardens in Kenya which have huge jacaranda, candelabra, cactus, bottlebrush, and other trees. Over 200 types of flowers bloom through the year and numerous bird feeders attract hundreds of varieties of birds. ... more less