“Wonderful boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palacina Residence & Suites

Save Saved
You added Palacina Residence & Suites to your Saves list
Palacina Residence & Suites
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Kitale Lane, off Dennis Pritt Road | State House Area, P.O Box 48728, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Wonderful boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

The Palacina Suites were being renovated during my stay. The hotel was upfront about this when I booked, and gave me a 20% discount because of the minor work being done. Considering that many hotels do not warn guests about noise and dust if work is being carried out in advance of their arrival, this was a good sign.

Everything from that point went smoothly. The staff are the friendliest I have ever come across, the rooms are spacious and well designed, the food was good...

I will be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GM-Palacina, General Manager at Palacina Residence & Suites, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Greetings from a sunny Palacina day.
I passed your comments around at our weekly staff gathering and the smiles said it all!
... we are delighted that our small efforts are appreciated.
Thank you very much and we look forward to your soonest return.

Tony Sawe | G.M.

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We left the Mara on the afternoon flight, arriving in Nairobi at 4.30pm & with our flight to the UK not departing until 12 midnight, so a long tiresome wait!

We have stayed at the Palacina before & this time to advantage of their airport transfer, courtesy room. & evening meal package. It was absolutely super, an efficient transfer from Wilson Airport, welcomed at the hotel with complimentary afternoon tea & cakes. Made to feel very welcome, all the hotel facilities to use, including Wifi, a perfect room with shower facilities to freshen up & have a lie down. An excellent evening meal. & then off to the international airport at 9.30pm. All in all a very good facility, wonderful welcome. & lovely facilities. We will return , try it you will not be disappointed! Thank you .

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Palacina, General Manager at Palacina Residence & Suites, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Sharon E.
Thank you for very pleasantly ushering us into year 2014!
Thank you also for choosing Palacina as "home in Nairobi" during your recent visit.
We were delighted to welcome you and hopefully we will have the pleasure again soon.
Best wishes for the New Year,
Tony
Tony sawe - GM -
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

The staff, amenities, and location are all top notch. I was in Nairobi for three month for work and this place couldn't have been a better home away from home. The place was comfortable and elegantly designed and the staff were incredibly friendly and willing to go above and beyond for any and all random requests that came up over the three months my wife and I were there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Palacina, General Manager at Palacina Residence & Suites, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
We were simply delighted to have you stay with us in Nairobi and thank you very much!
Here's wishing you both a very happy year 2014 and we hope to see you on your next Nairobi trip!
Best regards,
Tony Sawe
colombo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed here for three weeks with my husband who was on a business trip. The hotel charged me 100 us dollar per night to stay with my husband (who is a regular visitor since his office has a contract with this place) The staff is friendly, just like most of the people in Kenya. But some of my clothes went mssing during my stay and were never retrieved. So watch out for your clothes!(valuables of course fit into the safe, so you have your own responsibility.
The food is foul, but I have ben told it was once excellent. This has changed. I am usually not fussy, but this place belongs to an interior design company so the design is opulent but hides the fact that there is little quality. No free drinking water in the room (not even a small bottle to brush your teeth) poly cotton sheets and cheapo toiletries. This is not five star, just a lot of shiny curtains to make it look expensive.
Brealfast is first come, first serve so ifyou are late there is no fruit or croissant or brown bread sorry! staff is not to blame though, they are very kind and good fun.

Room Tip: there is a lot of construction going on. ask for a quiet room away from construction and away from t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Palacina, General Manager at Palacina Residence & Suites, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Firstly thank you very much for staying with us recently; we take our guests experiences at Palacina very seriously and your review is important to us.

I remember you very well and am saddened that you did not express your disappointment with your stay to me personally-in fact quite the opposite you said you were happy with your experience at Palacina. We are extremely disappointed to read your assessment of Palacina and feel compelled to make the following comments.

To suggest that your items were stolen while at the hotel is a very serious accusation of our staff and the housekeeper of your suite. I would like to point out that you came to me saying that a book was missing from your room and at the same time you mentioned that you were also missing a camouflage shirt but added that "you might have left it on safari".

We did in fact find your book as you had forgotten it on the terrace of the lobby and I personally handed it back to you. Based on our exceptional record on safety, security and the profile of our clients; we would simply not be in business if we tolerated theft at the hotel. To think that a housekeeper would have interest in stealing your jacket is highly unlikely when she just recently returned an iPhone left in the room by a client (who was so surprised and grateful). Perhaps it is a likely possibility that you left it on safari as you did your book? While we are the first to respond in such a situation, we should reiterate that these are serious accusations that need to be validated and cannot be made if you are (as you told me) not sure where you left it.
We are pleased to hear that our staff was friendly and courteous. We pride ourselves on the quality & character of our staff above all and I regret that you do not agree with this.

Regarding the hotel pricing Palacina is very proud to have an agreement with your husband’s NGO where we offer them accommodation at less than 65% off our daily rates. We are delighted to be associated with them and with the great work that they do in Africa hence this cooperation as part of our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). The extra USD 100 per night for a spouse is mutually agreed with their Nairobi office & on the nights that your husband was away we did not include this charge. To suggest that we are expensive and do not offer value for money is totally contrary to the feedback we get from your husband's colleagues.

Palacina is proud to be recognized as Nairobi’s first and premier boutique hotel. It is family owned and run for the past 13 years and I have had the pleasure of being the Hotel Manager for most of that time. Our owners also have other business concerns including beach resorts, tour operations, aviation & furnishing.
We are therefore family owned, run and managed… & not owned by an Interior Design Company.
I regret that you were misinformed on this and further information is available at “The Palacina Collection” online presence.

As you can see in the previous reviews, the comments on our food is generally excellent and it is shocking that you would describe the food as "foul"! I must admit that this is the first time that I have ever heard anything like this! I wish you would have brought this and any other concerns that you had over your extended stay with us to my attention especially because we personally met & spoke at length on two separate occasions.

At Palacina we do pride ourselves in offering a very personal & hands-on service and I assure you that had I been made aware of your concerns we would have moved made every conceivable effort to ensure that they were fully addressed.

Tony Sawe | General Manager
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I was only here for a few hours prior to an overnight flight back to United Kingdom.I was given a beautiful suite which had all that could be wanted. Had an excellent dinner then was able to relax for a few hours prior to being taken to the airport

Staff were extremely attentive and genuine in their comment.

Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Palacina, General Manager at Palacina Residence & Suites, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Dougal65,
Thank you for giving us the privilege of being your "home in Nairobi" for a few hours recently.
We hope you had a pleasant onward journey and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back for a longer stay in the future.
Best regards,
Tony Sawe - GM - Palacina
Moshi, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The African decor made me feel my holiday had started. My large suite and comfortable bed were welcome. I ate on the veranda at night which was magical with all the candles dotted about and breakfast was freshly prepared and varied. I had a few requests and the staff efficiently dealt with these. In addition the exotic bird song made this a special & memorable location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Rowenah,
We are delighted to read your review... we hope the rest of your African Safari was as interesting & comfortable as the great start and hopefully we will see you on your next African adventure!
Thank you!
Tony Sawe - GM - Palacina
northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

As our flight back to Heathrow did not depart until nearly midnight our Agent Imagine Africa arranged for us to have a day room and a meal at their wonderful Moonflower Restaurant. We had a shower and rest in a beautiful room wish we could have stayed the night! and then a delicious meal with great service before being taken back to the airport for our return flight to the uk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Palacina Residence & Suites? Share your experiences!