“Basic but OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 92 Specialty lodging in Nairobi
Brussels, Belgium
“Basic but OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed at the hostel for one night before catching a flight back home. For a one-night stay on a backpacking trip I would definitely recommend this place as it is cheap and the staff is friendly. We had one room for the two of us so I cannot compare with people who had to share a (tiny) room with other people. The place was clean. They arranged a taxi at 5 in the morning to get to the airport, so again no problem there. I would recommend the place it you need a place to stay before going to the airport (quite close)!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Not the best of places to end up. It was cheap but that was more or less its only saving grace, other than its admittedly decent location. The toilets were the most disgusting I've seen in a long long time [a long drop would have been miles more hygenic]. The water was barely on which is appalling for such a big city - I've seen better in the countryside! The internet cafe was OK, as was the tiny restaurant, but the free wi-fi was nowhere to be found. We did meet a couple other travellers, but this hostel seems to be a lot more popular with large groups of preteenaged students.
However the worst part of my stay was the one guest in the 18 bed female dorm we were put in who was openly racist towards us, cooked food in the room and hogged the one working plug socket.. but the worst was when she threw my friend's belongings across the room for having the gall to sleep in the bunk above her bed. Naturally we complained to the staff several times, yet they didn't care at all. So much for sticking to their own rules..

Room Tip: Try for as close to the ground floor as possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
san jose
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Toilets didn't work, bed sheets had blood on them, pillows were filthy.
The man at reception was really nice, and we went on a safari to the Maasai Mara with a deal from this hostel which was really fun, though a little pricey.
No free wifi, and when I used the computer some websites didn't even work such as hotmail.
I was glad when we left this hostel, the only good thing is its location i suppose.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed in Nairobi International Youth Hostel for one night upon arrival to Nairobi. The place is very basic and looks like my school-times summer camp sleeping facilities. However, the staff was very efficient and friendly. They picked us up at the airport as agreed and charged the same fare as the regular taxi. The area of the hostel is fenced and guarded. There´s a restaurant and a small food kiosk on the gounds of the hostel.

The room was very basic. We stayed in a room for four. There were two bunk-beds, a chair and some kind of locker, that looked like it doesn´t work. But we didn´t need it anyway. The pillows and blankets are provided, as well as the bed-linen (2 per person). The linen looked clean to me, although we I didn´t use them as I had my sleeping bag with me.
The bathrooms were on each floor if I´m not mistaken. Our lady´s bathroom quite clean and hot shower was available (only one cabin of two actually worked). The toilets were not in the best shape as they leaked and flush was ineffective - so not a pleasant place to be. They provide a toilet paper on arrival.

I can not comment on the location as we actually didn´t walk around. They arranged us a airport pick-up and a shuttle tickets to Arusha in Tanzania for a fair price. And the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Despite all abovementioned the place was OK for one-night stay on a backpacker-trip and if again in Nairobi I think I´d stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I've stayed in my fair share of hostels in my time and I have to say, this is one of the worst.
They staged a powercut whilst I stayed there to conserve electricity. They turn of the water in the bathrooms from around 8am so if you want to shower that day, you've got to fight for it.
Staying in the 18 bed dorm, normally fine, but when you piece together large amounts of people and no running water in the toilets...it's not a pretty sight. Or smell. I'm sorry, it's a bit crude but there were just piles and piles of excrement in the toilets just wishing, hoping, dreaming for a flush of water.
Disgusting.

The only saving grace is that Java house is opposite. Good food, good coffee, good wifi. Because yes, they say there's an internet cafe. That's a lie. It's never open.

I'd stay somewhere else if I were you...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Mombasa, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

i arrived around 7 am.everything was fine and quick at the reception during checking in.this hostel located at a very nice place,quiet .it will take you about 15 minutes walk to the city center.few meters there is a very nice coffee house.there is cyber cafe,a tour desk and a restaurant.all the staffs were kind and nice but very slow.one must understand that this is Africa.if you expect a five star service then you better try nairobi serena,sarova stanley,or intercontinental.no hot water ,i stayed there for two nights and i was happy with everything they did.beckerjira@yahoo.com

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

This was our first stop in Nairobi so we had two nights already paid up, however we knew within hours that we would not be staying beyond that. The good points... A roof over your head, toilets, a small shop insure that sells food and water.
The bad points... No hot water and cold water only between 6am and 8pm. No water to flush with certainly contributed to the lack of cleanliness in the bathroom. There was also no wifi, even though it is advertised. Rooms were acceptable if a little dirty. We also found this a very poor hostel for meeting other travellers, we barely saw another sole there. Price is not expensive but I expected it to be the cheapest which it certainly is not.

We stayed for the two nights by which time we had met other travellers in the city centre. We inquired as to where they were staying and never went back to the international youth hostel. We stayed at the milmani which I will write a review for shortly when we leave, but I'd recommend it, much nicer and slightly cheaper.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Nairobi International Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!