“B & B in Nairobe” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 100 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Newbury Park, California
“B & B in Nairobe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

What a nice surprise. After traveling from USA to England and arriving in Nairobe in October, my husband and I could have not stayed in a more relaxing and serene place.The decor and grounds are beautiful and full of charm..Nice comfortable room with cozy bed. Great food, whether eating poolside or in the dining room, and the staff is so nice. Giraffe Sanctuary and Elephant Orphanage are nearby as is Wilson Airport. Only 6 rooms here so you should make a reservation..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Macushla House was an unexpected delight. The house is beautifully appointed, very warm and welcoming decor and layout. Our room was clean and spacious with ample cupboards for storage, a comfortable bed and a nice bathroom. The sitting rooms are comfy and inviting, we spent two lovely evenings reading in front of the fireplace with wine. The food was good and the service was prompt and friendly. The outdoor patio, pool and gardens were very appealing areas to relax, though the mosquitos were fairly intense in the mornings and at night so we often found ourselves inside instead. The only criticism I have is that we were assured there was wifi access but the wifi was not working when we were there. We were allowed to use the office computer if needed but it felt like an imposition which was uncomfortable for us. Also notable is that it was a long drive from the international airport - almost an hour on rough dusty roads.

Close enough to giraffe center that we could walk there in fifteen minutes. If you have the time, take the nature walk across the street from giraffe center, it is a nice way to stretch your legs. Also close to Sheldrick Elephant orphanage - don't miss the chance to visit and foster a baby elephant, the experience is unforgettable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Staying at the Macushla House is a defining experience. However much I may try to find a weak point of this place, I cannot find one of any consequence.
Indeed, a few fellow reviewers have pointed at the low water pressure in the showers, and they do have a point. But, as Tony Curtis said in Some like it hot, "no one is perfect". Not even the Macushla House...
But - film quotes apart - this place is really close to perfection! The beauty of the place, the good taste of the interiors, the warmth of the staff makes it a perfect place to stay. Rooms are ample and beautiful, the common areas are extremely cozy and welcoming, and then there is the fireplace!
We were there for three nights, and in one of them there was very heavy rain that completely flooded the area, so that we were unable to go out for dinner. The Macushla House staff was able to conjure - literally "out of thin air" - a beautiful dinner, served with warmth and class. This memory will stay with us for a long time.
Full marks to Ms. Karoline and her staff - with special mention to head waitress Millisend!
I am a frequent traveller to Nairobi and I shall cartainly come back!
Too bad that I can only rate it 5 out of 5, it would indeed deserve more...

Room Tip: In various stays, I have used 4 different rooms and they were all very nice and ample.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here with my two children for a couple of nights in December. What a wonderful place! I highly recommend Macushla House for anyone passing through Nairobi. It is clean, safe, and well situated. Very nice breakfast as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Maun, Botswana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

As part of a pre-safari tour, I stayed 2 nights beginning December at Macushla. The trip was organized by a friend who chose this guesthouse. It’s located in the Karen district of Nairobi, a good 45 minute drive from the International Airport. It’s a good location if you want to visit the Karen Blixen Museum, Giraffe centre and Sheldrick’s Elephant orphanage as all is very close by. Wilson airport is also in good reach. I can recommend Macushla to those who seek the quiet away from the buzz downtown. However, if you are staying longer and want to venture out into the city centre, I recommend staying downtown.
Macushla House is like a typical African house with big fireplace and lots of decoration and artefacts which make you feel being in a friend’s house. The fact that this is also a small guesthouse adds to the intimate atmosphere. They have a lovely garden with pool and terrace seating. It seems to be a popular place for wedding photo shoots. The room I stayed was spacious and had a cozy alcove from where I could watch numerous birds on the bird feeder. It was a nice touch to find a hot water bottle in the evening in my bed. On the second day though, they brought it very early in the afternoon so that it was not to hot anymore by the time I went to bed. The shower in the bathroom had an interesting design and because the showerhead is fixed in the wall it can be a bit tricky at first until the water is hot. The water pressure was unfortunately very low, so washing longer hair is not easy. I liked the fact that they offer biodegradable amenities. The staff is friendly and attentive. The food is mediocre as far as lunch or dinner is concerned, but good in terms of breakfast. I did not check if they have internet

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Coming to Macushla House is always like coming home, the friendliness of the people, their care, the welcome of the cat and the homely atmosphere of the house itself. There is only one thing, the water pressure of the showers should be higher, but I don't know, if this was a temporarily thing. Otherwise it's lovely and good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Aptos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I spent one night at the Macushla House this month. My flight arrived from London at 1:30 am, so I didn't arrive there until almost 3 am. The manager could not have been kinder. Breakfast was simple but good and I was able to have a look around while waiting for it to be served. The Macushla House is decorated beautifully and has a warm and cozy atmosphere. My room was lovely and very comfortable. Since I got in so late, staff was very kind about letting me keep my room and napping until my driver came to take me to Wilson Airport at 1 pm. I would love to come back and stay again sometime when I can spend more time there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Macushla House? Share your experiences!