“Disappointing but has potential” 3 of 5 stars

+254 724 400849
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 6 Dessert in Nairobi
Cuisines: African, International, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Dari means canopy in Swahili and our inspiration for the name came from our indigenous forest that has been preserved by 2 families for the last 70 years. This forest has the oldest indigenous tree in Nairobi, which is estimated to be about 300 years old. The restaurant has been built at the edge of a natural spring, in the middle of this indigenous forest with utmost sensitivity to environmental conservation. We did our landscaping with hand wheel barrows to reduce vehicular foot print in the forest. One of Dari's best secrets lies in the gardens. Our well maintained lawns can host upto 4 functions at the same time, totaling to 1700 pax. We also have an ample secure parking facility. At Dari Restaurant, we have preserved a natural indigenous forest. Our garden is patrolled by beautiful Thomsons' gazelles, Impalas, Dik-diks, Bush babies, Tree hyrax, Tree squirrels and birds like peacocks, cranes, hornbills, sunbirds to name a few.
“Disappointing but has potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I don't like to give negative reviews but I was really disappointed in this restaurant after excitedly trying it out after hearing good things. After settling in the lovely garden, we ordered drinks. I was impressed to see Stolichnaya vodka on the menu and ordered one. After 4 waiter visits over the next 20 minutes which made it obvious the waiter didn't have a clue what I was asking for (pointed it out on the menu, explained in detail, was brought some brown liquor), opted for water which took another 20 minutes to come. Husbands food, the special, was edible but not great apart from the pudding which was good. Mine was interesting - 'open ravioli' which was basically a few pieces of lasagna placed amongst pieces of butternut squash was quite good but not what I was expecting. However, my daughters fish and chips were a bit of a disaster - the chips were really terrible. i have never seen her not eat chips! I tasted one and spat it out. I asked the waiter to tell the cook about that but got no comment back and was fully charged for the dish on the menu which I didn't think was good marketing. Daughter was a bit traumatised to see some workers carrying a grants gazelle upside down through the back of the garden. I went to find out what was going on and a worker told me they had to capture it because their fence was temporarily down. They said it had been put in a bathroom. I was concerned as gazelles should not be put on slippery floors as they can easily break their limbs but when I got back to the table the poor beast was careering about the garden looking for an escape. Perhaps a good idea to call in the experts when dealing with wild animals in future. We were told there were several such gazelle on the relatively small property. Given that the restaurant is located in suburbia, they might think about having the animals relocated. This restaurant has potential - train up your waiters - its a challenge to have to serve tables so far apart and make sure your cooks/front desk deal with complaints in the right way.

Visited May 2014

“great eggs, not sensitive to disability access needs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

really good breakfast, our pregnant waitress was adorable, really considerate.

the facilities were clean, but too slippery - a risk for the disabled, also the toilets are not suitable for those on wheelchairs or using crutches.

the manager is aloof and cannot be bothered. we wanted to ask a question about renting the grounds, and were kept waiting to meet her royal highness. when she finally came, there were no apologies...

Visited February 2014
“Sunday Family Lunch!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

On a Sunday afternoon I booked Dari Restaurant for lunch with my family. I was welcomed at the door by a friendly hostess seated at my table and handed over to my waiter. The waiter was patient with our question seeing as it was my first time. Hot towels and homemade bread kept us busy before the food came to the table. Hot plates and hot food. It was all delicious...however would have loved more....(that might just be my own desire).
From the corner of my eyes I noticed some impalas walking around....just another great feature from Dari.
On my way out i saw a well stocked bar.....(now that I can come on my own to see what they offer) but for a family day out it was great. Will def be back with family, girlfriends (to try out that bar)
Thanks guys

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“my third visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The ambience and surroundings are good. Open lawn, veranda seating, hidden nooks and the quiet ness makes this place a very promising restaurant. . One gets the feel that the management does get overwhelmed at times and service gets slow. A good place when one needs some quite place in Karen, except on Sunday when it is packed and noisy.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Beautiful gardens..poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Dari has such beautiful gardens, good food and lovely live band on Sundays but the service is poor. I had lunch with family and friends and enjoyed the ambience...but the poor service made the experience average. Once served, it takes the waiters quite some time to respond to your needs. When we complained of the poor service the answer we were given is "We are very busy"..no apologies given. If the attitude of the staff can improve...the experience can amazing.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere