“great eggs, not sensitive to disability access needs” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 6 Dessert in Nairobi
Cuisines: African, International, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Dari means canopy in Swahili and our inspiration for the name came from our indigenous forest that has been preserved by 2 families for the last 70 years. This forest has the oldest indigenous tree in Nairobi, which is estimated to be about 300 years old. The restaurant has been built at the edge of a natural spring, in the middle of this indigenous forest with utmost sensitivity to environmental conservation. We did our landscaping with hand wheel barrows to reduce vehicular foot print in the forest. One of Dari's best secrets lies in the gardens. Our well maintained lawns can host upto 4 functions at the same time, totaling to 1700 pax. We also have an ample secure parking facility. At Dari Restaurant, we have preserved a natural indigenous forest. Our garden is patrolled by beautiful Thomsons' gazelles, Impalas, Dik-diks, Bush babies, Tree hyrax, Tree squirrels and birds like peacocks, cranes, hornbills, sunbirds to name a few.
nairobi
“great eggs, not sensitive to disability access needs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

really good breakfast, our pregnant waitress was adorable, really considerate.

the facilities were clean, but too slippery - a risk for the disabled, also the toilets are not suitable for those on wheelchairs or using crutches.

the manager is aloof and cannot be bothered. we wanted to ask a question about renting the grounds, and were kept waiting to meet her royal highness. when she finally came, there were no apologies...

Visited February 2014

“Sunday Family Lunch!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

On a Sunday afternoon I booked Dari Restaurant for lunch with my family. I was welcomed at the door by a friendly hostess seated at my table and handed over to my waiter. The waiter was patient with our question seeing as it was my first time. Hot towels and homemade bread kept us busy before the food came to the table. Hot plates and hot food. It was all delicious...however would have loved more....(that might just be my own desire).
From the corner of my eyes I noticed some impalas walking around....just another great feature from Dari.
On my way out i saw a well stocked bar.....(now that I can come on my own to see what they offer) but for a family day out it was great. Will def be back with family, girlfriends (to try out that bar)
Thanks guys

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“my third visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

The ambience and surroundings are good. Open lawn, veranda seating, hidden nooks and the quiet ness makes this place a very promising restaurant. . One gets the feel that the management does get overwhelmed at times and service gets slow. A good place when one needs some quite place in Karen, except on Sunday when it is packed and noisy.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Beautiful gardens..poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Dari has such beautiful gardens, good food and lovely live band on Sundays but the service is poor. I had lunch with family and friends and enjoyed the ambience...but the poor service made the experience average. Once served, it takes the waiters quite some time to respond to your needs. When we complained of the poor service the answer we were given is "We are very busy"..no apologies given. If the attitude of the staff can improve...the experience can amazing.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely Gardens- shame we did not get to enjoy them!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Dari Restaurant has all the potential to be a wonderful venue. It is set within beautiful landscaped gardens. Unfortunately we did not get an opportunity to enjoy the gardens. When we arrived there were several available tables on the verandah. We asked to sit in the garden and were told that there were no available tables in the gardens and would have a long wait before one was available. I asked the staff to move one of the tables from the verandah into the (virtually empty) garden and was informed that “the Directors do not allow that”. I replied that the whole point of coming to the restaurant was so that I could enjoy the lovely gardens. It is not as if the table and chairs were heavy. (my 4 your old nephew could carry them on his own!) Staff would not budge and insisted that the chairs were not allowed to be moved. At this point we walked out. The mind boggles at the illogical “rule”. A restaurant that would rather lose customers than accommodate a simple request must be run by Muppets. We will certainly not be returning.

Visited April 2014