“good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #94 of 110 Hotels in Nairobi
Mombasa, Kenya
“good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Nicely appointed with a great bathroom (nice bathtub, big sink, fluffy towels, shelves to put your things, lights in different places, all clean and new), changing area. There are a tea kettle, fridge, mosquito netting, and small bottle of water every day. Part of the corridor space is open-air so the hotel is fresh and feels spacious. Wifi is decent, though subject to random disappearances. I didn't find the rooms insufferably loud, but I am used to staying in hotels and my standards for noise are much more generous than they used to be, so maybe don't take my word on that. I like being near Super high way.

Best advantage is the staff. I left a small object in my room and they contacted me right away to let me know they had it and offered to either keep it until my next visit or send it to me! Very professional, honest and committed to making you feel at home and safe.
Another negative is that if you arrive before 8am, breakfast is not as nice as its beautiful circular dining room, serving only one juice (albeit fresh-squeezed), a bit of fruit, black tea and coffee, cups of yoghurt (with almonds, cashews and raisins as toppers) and the obligatory wheatabix and cornflakes. The hot breakfast is to order, your choice of sausage, bacon, omelet, beans and toast. Okay maybe that description sounds better than I intended it to -- but for an ovo-vegetarian it's not so great :) By 8 or 8.30 they’ve also assembled two buffet hot dishes, more cut fruit, and two more juices. The Spanish omelet is generous and well-made and you get a whole bowl of beans. For a review of the restaurant itself, look up Sir Abraham restraint on Trip Advisor. Finally, I was bummed there is no gym, but if you are really keen you can get day passes to the fitness center in Blue springs.

If you are eager for such details, check-in is 2pm and check-out is 11am.
Web Www.sunstarhotel.co.ke

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Families
Couples
Solo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Worst managed hotel I've stayed at in 5 years. Forced to book more than 15 rooms here for 6+days to be near UN when our preferred booking withdrew on us. Only +/single room relatively large and its not too far from Gigiri taking back roads. - = there is no standard of service in any element of hotel operations: food; reception/concierge/communication services; guest treatment/support. People are unable to provide reliable information (when buffet food will be served, etc). On check in I had to switch rooms as the electricity collapsed in my room. No explanation; electricity out another evening at dinner time delaying food for 3 hours. Order walk away and come back and your food may arrive sometime in the 24 hr period. Senior management is at fault and peoples jobs and profitability will be the consequence. I feel badly for cleaning staff and others who have no clue on how to do their job. Leaving was like escaping from bleaksville.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Fiona T, Manager at Sunstar Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Your comments regarding the service you received at our hotel are very important to us. We want customers to enjoy staying at Sunstar Hotel, so your report of a disturbing experience while at the hotel is a serious concern for us. First, let us express our deepest apologies. You deserve only the best service, especially when you visit Sunstar. Second, we questioned our staff and took appropriate action by training them. We strive to provide the best for our guests but some things are beyond us such as the black out experienced, we do hope that you understand the grievance and the justice. Thank you for reporting this incident and i assure you that we look forward to efficiently serving you in future.

Been to Sunstar Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sunstar Hotel

Address: Garden Estate Road | along Thika Super Highway, Nairobi, Kenya
Location: Kenya > Nairobi
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Swimming Pool
Ranked #94 of 110 Hotels in Nairobi
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity so you can book your Sunstar Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Sunstar Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.