“This shouldnt be possible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Nairobi Airport Hotel

Save Saved
You added Nairobi Airport Hotel to your Saves list
Nairobi Airport Hotel
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Syokimau Airport Road | Syokimau, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #105 of 154 Nairobi B&B and Inns
“This shouldnt be possible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Me and two of my friends had booked the hotel as we were only staying one day and wanted to be close to the airport.

We had an agreement with them by email that they were gonna pick us up at the airport- they said they would be right outside with a sign with our names, but when we came there- there were no one there to pick us up (our flight was one hour late, but we expected them to check that as we could not contact them while in the air). We ended up taking a taxi and the taxi driver had to stop several times before he found the place. The roads were bumpy, dirty and it was in a questionable area.

The "hotel" was just an appartment building with NO signs what so ever. Not by the gate, not on the way and not even on the building or the reception area.

The girls who greated us when we came was very friendly and let us stay in another room until outs were finished (as we came before check in).

The bathrooms were not very clean and we couldnt get the warm water to work.

The beds were comfortable.

We asked if we could order food- lunch, dinner and breakfast and they said yes.
The lunch was served weirdly, as we had to build our own toast (got it all in parts- cheese not melted) and an open, kind of dirty jar of jam.

When we ordered dinner, they first said 2 hours, after 4 (!!!) hours we went down and asked and were told 20 minutes- it took another hour. We got no appology for this.

I do not recommend this "hotel"

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Khartoum, Sudan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We were only staying in Nairobi for a night and had an early morning flight, so we wanted to stay somewhere close to the airport. Although the "hotel" is near the airport, it is almost impossible to find on your own. This meant our taxi spent a long time asking for directions and finally had to call staff from the establishment. Basically, someone has rented or purchased a bunch of unfinished, sparsely furnished apartments in a gated community and is calling it a hotel. Our room, although spacious, had two bedrooms, one of which only had a bed frame. The hot water heater was also difficult to use, especially since we kept losing power. When the internet stopped working, we were given a usb stick, which worked for a while. The kitchen was pretty scary too. We were lucky we had some food with us because there is no restaurant or place you can purchase food unless you leave the compound, which is difficult without a car.

I think the most disappointing part was that the hotel staff tried to charge us the $15 Expedia or other online hotel booking websites charge them. I was really put out, since we hadn't been told there was an extra fee. I only had $10 and refused to pay any more cash. I will say that breakfast was good and mostly on time. They advise you to get to the airport two hours in advance, which is not enough time. Be sure to get the staff to confirm when you need to get to the airport. We were forced to share a car, which wasn't so bad, but we had to wait until the other guest was ready and he had booked a later shuttle. We really had to scramble to catch our flight. Overall, this hotel is too far away from landmarks, restaurants or any other amenities for us to recommend it. Unless you are content to spend your day/night stuck in a hotel room, and have your own lunch and dinner, it's not a great deal for the cash. Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This place is a joke. While the people seemed quite nice, they sent my driver and I on a goose chase at 11PM in NAIROBI after I arrived from a long day of flying. I had tried to use their website to book a room and it did not show availability so I emailed them and they confirmed (without taking any money, thank goodness!). When I arrived, the driver and I were looking around forever as it was NOT AN ACTUAL HOTEL but apartments in a gated community, buried and not all that familiar to the guards at the gate. We finally found it and they said they had been expecting me at 6 (I had sent my flight info that shows me arriving at 9) and had given my room away. They told my driver in Swahili to take me to another one of their properties, over an hour away. Needless to say we did not bother.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I've read the reviews below, and true, using 'Hotel' to describe this accomodation is stretching the term a bit as it is a set of apartments in a gated compound down a dark bumpy road. That said, the two staff I met, the driver and the receptionist were lovely and my pickup from the airport was waiting for me when I arrived. I was staying overnight in Nairobi in transit to Rwanda and location was great. Bed was comfortable, got breakfast in bed and dropped off to airport with plenty of time - due to its location close to the airport there was no chance getting snarled up in Nairobi's traffic. Wifi was good, big TV, shower was fine. As a cheap and convenient place to get your head down while your waiting to transit flights its perfect. Not a place to stay for more than an airport overnighter.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Very difficult to find. Name on gate is the name of the housing block. We booked this place because it was advertised as self-contained, but there was no cooking facilities or kitchen equipment. The rooms were very sparsely decorated and it was on the 5th floor with no elevator. Certainly not worth the price they are charging.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Lethbridge, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Awful, stayed there twice for 4 nights with my fiancee and never again, only good for 1 night stop over, close to the airport but too far away from everywhere else, falsely advertised on the booking site I used, its in a terrible area, road to it is not complete, its called 5 star gardens and nothing like a hotel, it is apartment building in the middle of a housing estate that is inside a secured compound with electrified fencing all around the 10 foot wall the encloses the housing estate, many of the buildings are derelict that is in the estate. I will always be going to Kenya but never here again

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Harrow England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Ok, stayed at this place on 6th April, as an overnight stay as we were travelling onto Mombasa the following morning. This place is a block of mainly empty apartments. Ones that are occupied are rented by local people. There are no signs anywhere to or on the building that say 'Nairobi Airport Hotel.' Passengers making their own way there would never find it!! I will not use the word 'HOTEL' again when discussing this place. The road leading to the apartment block is off road and incomplete. It was very late when we landed in Nairobi which meant the place was dark. The road used to access the apartment block is a very long back road with no lights and very large holes in the road, which meant more time was spent swerving left and right rather than going in a straight line. Due to the road being so bad speed had to be kept to a minimum which felt like a perfect set up to be robbed and dumped at the side of the road, but the 'airport transfer' was genuine. The apartments sits within a gated guarded community with electric fencing on top of a very high wall!

The apartment was clean and room was quite well presented and bed was comfy. The apartment was ok for an overnight stay. Even though it is an apartment and it has a kitchen there are no appliances in the kitchen except a fridge and a kettle. Hot water you have to turn on yourself if you want hot water for the morning (was not told this but worked it out). Towels are provided, but take your own toiletries, hand soap is provided, but that's it. Be sure to check all the windows as most were either slighlty open or closed but not locked. Access to your apartment can be gained through your window by the balcony. The apartment is in a great location for easy return to the airport.

Breakfast is provided. Your order taken by staff who utalise another apartment as a reception. Your breakfast will be brought to your room at a time you request. Breakfast was ok and came in the form of tea/coffee, toast, eggs, sausage etc. Upon check out $13.50 US dollars is required to be payed as local tax, for some reason they are unable to include this cost in the original costing.

Airport transfer is a man with a saloon car. We had 3 suitcases not including hand luggage and may I say it was a squeeze to fit the luggage in. If there was an extra case then I am unsure how we would had proceeded. The driver was very nicee and welcoming. Clearly this service is a man who ownes a car and not a business that provides an official service for the apartment. As the service is a one man and one car outfit we had to wait an hour outside the airport for him to arrive, as he was dropping off another passenger elsewhere despite knowing what flight/time we landed!

Despite all the negatives the place was clean and staff were polite and kind. This apartment room was booked through Expedia and I will be writing to them to request they don't advertise the apartment as a 'Hotel,' price wise £60 for the night I thought was a reasonable price to pay.

Tips go a long way in Nairobi anything between 200 - 300 Shillings seem to be the average.

• Stayed April 2014

Been to Nairobi Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!