“good start to holiday in Kenya” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nairobi Safari Club

You added Nairobi Safari Club to your Saves list
Nairobi Safari Club
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Koinange Street , University Way, Nairobi 43564, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Ranked #62 of 129 Hotels in Nairobi
Exeter, United Kingdom
“good start to holiday in Kenya”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

My wife and I spent a night here at the start of our vacation in Kenya. The staff are very friendly and efficient and they made us feel welcome from the start. The room itself was huge and had a lounge area seperate to the bedroom. The air conditioning in our room was pretty ineffective however and was quite noisy. The beds were very comfortable and we found the hotel to be very quiet. We were on the fourth floor and well away from the busy road outside.
The early morning wake up call was on time and was made by a person instead of a machine!
The breakfast was of a very good standard and the choice was massive.
Overall a very good start to our Kenyan holiday but the rooms are in need of updating as they are starting to look a bit tired.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

My sister and I stayed 4 nights at this hotel. We enjoyed out stay and had a lovely large suite with views of the Nairobi skyline. Square pin plugs was a bonus for charging mobiles and video camera. The room had a large safe which we used to store our valuables. Large TV and complementary toiletries and bottled water. Tea/ coffee making facilities was a bonus as well as being able to use the water in the bathroom for tooth brushing. We enjoyed our meals from the buffet breakfast, dinner and also the Sun Deck Grill. The hotel has a small heated pool -unfortunately the pool area requires updating. The location was only a short walk to the centre of town and although University Way is very busy with traffic (especially) during rush hour but we did not hear the noise in our room. I used the laundry which was expensive but efficient, and used the hotel business centre for internet access - charge £5 for half an hour. A Cyber cafe would have been cheaper but having been out all day the convenient on-site facility saved hassle. . The small shop sells curios - and we did have some difficulty getting stamps for post cards. We found that it was better to per-order and the shop will get them for you. We enjoyed our stay and would use this hotel again

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
NEWARK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

My first stay at the Nairobi Safari Club was in 1999 and between 1999 and 2005 I stayed there over twenty times. Then I stopped travelling until last week when I returned. I was amazed that most of the staff remembered me by name and were quite obviously pleased to see me back. The hotel was always my first choice after I discovered it in 1999. Before then I tried the Serena and Intercontinental (both overpriced) Norfolk (nice but lousy service) Hilton (too noisy) Jacaranda in Westlands (scruffy rooms). I am glad to say that the hotel has lost none of its undoubted charm, friendly courteous staff and a bar that does not close before midnight. But I booked a smoking suite but was never informed prior to arrival that all the suites are now non smoking. I admit I broke the rules and smoked on my balcony but felt like a criminal. Unless the hotel offers smoking rooms in the future then I admit I will be looking for another hotel. Nairobi has gone mad with no smoking bans in all the bars, restaurants and even on the street.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Northern England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

We stayed in the Safari Club at the end of a brilliant safari. I am a regular traveller to Kenya, going 3 or 4 times a year and usually having an overnight in Nairobi prior to the long flight back to the UK, but had never stayed at this particular hotel, preferring the Stanley and the Hilton on previous visits.

We were given a room on the 5th floor. Unfortunately, the hotel is located right on the main city ring road. It's fine if you don't mind being kept awake by horn tooting matatu's late into the night. For the money they charge and the location of th ehotel, you think they might have considered double glazing as an option. My wife and I checked to see if th windows were open as we couldn't believe that there was so much noise from the road below. Unfortunately, they weren't!

There was no water provided in the room either, despite being told that there should be some and that someone would bring some.

Needless to say that I wont be putting the safari club on my return list!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Christchurch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

Friendly welcome. Lovely large old fashioned rooms (a bit tired looking) but very spacious. Good restaurant.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
new yok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

When I checked into the Nairobi Safari Club the reception clerk was incompetent, confused, unfriendly. Had I had not just completed a month of traveling in Africa (including many Kenyan hotels) I might have thought this to be the norm and not realized how uncommon this is for the friendly Kenyans who usually greet visitors with a cheerful "Jambo!" When I finally got the attention of the bored check-in person another sullen-faced woman (a trainee) took me to my room. No smile, no words of welcome.
The hotel management must have found the only unfriendly people in the country - and hired them. To make matters worse, when several hours later I asked the Guest Relations desk for information about Nairobi, she also was bored and incompetent. My simple questions were met with a shrug or silence. Another guest who watched the exchange joked that the woman must have gotten her job because she knows the owner. Horrible experience. Add to this cockroaches in the room, faulty plumbing, unclean sauna, and a knock on the door by Housekeeping at 7:20 a.m., and I can say without hesitation that this hotel was my worst experience in Kenya.
The management needs to hire more people, train them better, and be more hands-on.
The restaurant was good, but way over-priced, with a small glass of juice going for $4.00
The hotel has 5 stars only because the rooms have suites attached. To me, the five stars only represented the 5 cockroaches that I found in the bathroom.
Better values elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Newport Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

After camping for 11 days on safari and Kilimanjaro, we decided to treat ourselves. We were not disappointed!

PROS
1. Rooms. "The only en suite hotel" is their motto, and they deliver. The rooms have a sitting room and a bedroom, and are extremely spacious. Ask for a room on a top floor (i.e. 10-14), and you'll get a sprawling view over Nairobi.
2. Location. You can walk anywhere in central Nairobi...but obviously don't go out at night alone or with any money.
3. Security. Very, very safe hotel....
4. Pool area. The pool is heavily heated, has a proper "deep end" and is relatively large.
5. Breakfast. Epic portions and very decent quality.
6. Restaurants. I think the hotel has 3-4 restaurants. We tried 2. Both were decent and reasonably priced (kinda). You only realize the importance of this point once you arrive, and realize you don't want to face Nairobbery at night.

CONS
1. Service could be better. When we checked in a day early, they were very reluctant to accommodate. However we eventually got everything sorted.

If you can get a deal (e.g. <$140, <90 GBP or less), I would recommend!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple