“Nostalgic Rundown” 2 of 5 stars

17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Nostalgic Rundown”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I thought I'd pay this place a visit after hearing about it from a buddy. I took to the road hunting for seeing the road sign that will direct me there. It was quite a chance to see that sign because it is really hidden and with small fonts. It directs to a very small street that branches off a major road. Besides, Kenya Railways have done a fantastic job of keeping it away from the public since I have never heard it being advertised.

That said, I found a couple of two guys (employees of the museum) arguing over two pieces of oil paint, as to which is the better. That was on the craft section, where the pieces were good indeed but the prices not so. They guided me to the main entrance of the museum itself.

Bored was the look on the receptionist lady. I don't think I had the same look when many of my childhood memories were rekindled by my walk around the museum. The pieces are really antique and haphazardly organized, without sections. You will find crockery pieces put together with typewriters but all well.

I expected the trains to be at least kept clean and at least restored even though they don't move. The toilets looked like they had just been used and no one bothered to pick up after themselves. I expected a bare minimum of working doors and general cleanliness.

After an hour and a half of making myself happy, I went back to the receptionist with a few questions I had but she could not answer any satisfactorily. I bet they just picked someone who needed a job but did not care to learn something, anything, about her workplace.

What did I enjoy about my visit? The childhood memories. Having a chance to hop into the train drivers' seats. Having a chance to peep into a cabin that The Man-eaters of Tsavo hitched a ride on.

Other than that, Kenya Railways have let this place get really dilapidated. I hope they clean up the place and advertise it a bit more.

Visited February 2013

at sea
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Trains what a hobby”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

this little museum is a jewel in the crown....lots of rolling stock including about 10 or so locomotives that were the backbone of Kenyan railroading only a few short years ago. The building houses many odd and fascinating pieces of railroading history..one could spend all day here and still not see it all....its a must for anyone with a mechanical bent.

New Mexico
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great exposure to Kenya's railway history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Railway Museum in Nairobi has been renovated recently and it is much better than before. It's a little bit shabby around the edges, but provides a very good overview of Kenya's railway history. I recommend this for all tourists and Kenyans alike. Go in the early morning or late afternoon to avoid the heat and downtown traffic.

Visited March 2012
Northern California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

If one were a real trains buff, perhaps this "museum" would have been more interesting than it was to me. Other than a large and unorganized room full of materials and photographs, the museum consists of a number of train cars and engines sitting outside in the weather, slowly -- perhaps not so slowly --rusting away. Other than what one can deduce from reading the "signs" on the equipment itself (such as "manufactured in 19 __ at ___), there was no museum signage to assist in understanding where and when the equipment was used. Not recommended.

Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Sleeping giants....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am not in to railways particularly but this place intrigued me so I took a taxi there with my 4 year old daughter. We were almost alone at the museum. There is a guided tour around the museum but I declined as my daughters attention span wouldnt permit it.Instead I had a quick whizz around this bit and then went to where all the trains were parked up. They were incredible,where in the uk could you climb over these sleeping giants,stand on the footplate and play with the controls without the health and safety nazis spoiling the fun ? Although they are slowly decaying they still hold your interest and to my daughter this was a wonderful adventure park. Its well worth a visit,bring water and some food,as there is none available and have a pic-nic in the shadow of the carriage that the man-eating Tsavo lions dragged a victim from in the peace and quiet of this gem of a museum.