“Entertaining but Lacking some Verve” 4 of 5 stars

Langata Rd | Mageso Chember, Nairobi 00200, Kenya
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Each boma (homestead) in this cultural village was built using traditional specifications of myriad Kenyan tribes; through architecture, crafts, music and dance this village serves to preserve Kenyan culture.
Portland, Oregon
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Entertaining but Lacking some Verve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I really loved all of the dances and the schoolchildren's responses to them. I wish that the announcer had a sound system, as we couldn't hear her. I guess we were not in the main location. Perhaps the sound is better in the main hall. The buildings are also fascinating (particularly the distinctions between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wife), but lost their uniqueness after the third or fourth display. I wish that they had had people in each encampment, demonstrating tools and skills. Maybe that occurs in the high season.

Visited November 2013

• Czech first
Princeville, Hawaii
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Wonderful place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Bomas. We not only saw quite a myriad of little villages but were also treated to a terrific song and dance performance in the auditorium.
If you visit, please send your photos to us because our camera was stolen so we lost our pictures of this wonderful place.

Visited September 2013
Sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Definitely worth the visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Wasn't sure at first whether we should visit the Bomas or not. Found it really difficult to find out what the costs were. One website said the entry cost was 45 euro. In the end it only costs 600Ksh per person. Definitely very well worth the 600Ksh. Dancers and drum show very entertaining. The walk around the cultural villages definitely worth taking the time to do it. Very informative and realistic. Great and inexpensive way to spend an afternoon.

Visited October 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Very nice, worth visiting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I went to the Bomas of Kenya during a round about trip to the Giraffe and Elephant centers in Karen. This place is well worth the visit. Not that people were there which was surprising. However, the grounds are a great way to see a small sampling of Kenyas 42 tribes. Considering that Kenya is a massive country, this is very convenient location. It was very enjoyable being able to see the minor and major changes of tribal architecture. The guides are somewhat helpful, however, they could have been better. There are cultural performances which are well worth the visit. This includes dances and music. There is also a restaurant there which has some of the best Kuku-choma (roasted chicken) I've had during my time here. The bomas are worth visiting, if you're in the Karen area I'd stop by. One disclaimer, there are a lot of school groups that go there. At least for us, they were a bit loud and annoying. Although, not enough to diminish the experience.

Visited November 2013
Montgomery, Alabama
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A must see! Love it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I've been living in Nairobi for up to one year right now, and I am not quite sure why this place is not so popular as the others. Every time I ask to anyone what I can do when I am stick around Nairobi for the weekend, the list of places is always the same: Giraffe Center, Elephant Orphanage...and so on. Let me be clear, nothing wrong with those attractions, but sometimes you are looking for something different to do! And, as always, Google and Tripadvisor helped me out on this. We had a wonderful time there, indeed. Literally, it is Kenya in miniature. If you desire to have a full immersion of Kenyan culture go for it. We had a nice walk through the nature and villages (they're inhabited, but well displayed), weather was beautiful and we couldn't ask more.
As residents, the entrance fee was really reasonable therefore, our expectation weren't so high about the show. Well, we changed our mind pretty quickly: it was simply amazing. And if we have time, we will go back again. Terrific cultural dances and acrobatic shows...those guys are professional! No kidding.
Next time, we'll plan our trip to Bomas of Kenya better, and have our lunch at its restaurant, eventually. A full immersion in the nature and Kenya culture experience!

Visited October 2013

Been to Bomas of Kenya? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Bomas of Kenya, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.