“A must see! Love it.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Each boma (homestead) in this cultural village was built using traditional specifications of myriad Kenyan tribes; through architecture, crafts, music and dance this village serves to preserve Kenyan culture.
Montgomery, Alabama
5 attraction reviews
“A must see! Love it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I've been living in Nairobi for up to one year right now, and I am not quite sure why this place is not so popular as the others. Every time I ask to anyone what I can do when I am stick around Nairobi for the weekend, the list of places is always the same: Giraffe Center, Elephant Orphanage...and so on. Let me be clear, nothing wrong with those attractions, but sometimes you are looking for something different to do! And, as always, Google and Tripadvisor helped me out on this. We had a wonderful time there, indeed. Literally, it is Kenya in miniature. If you desire to have a full immersion of Kenyan culture go for it. We had a nice walk through the nature and villages (they're inhabited, but well displayed), weather was beautiful and we couldn't ask more.
As residents, the entrance fee was really reasonable therefore, our expectation weren't so high about the show. Well, we changed our mind pretty quickly: it was simply amazing. And if we have time, we will go back again. Terrific cultural dances and acrobatic shows...those guys are professional! No kidding.
Next time, we'll plan our trip to Bomas of Kenya better, and have our lunch at its restaurant, eventually. A full immersion in the nature and Kenya culture experience!

Visited October 2013

Nairobi, Kenya
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I just love the place especially the newly opened wing. It's one of the architectural centre piece in Nairobi. Much more, the management has done a lot to ensure the standards meets the investment. Thought quite expensive, the services were excellent and meals were delicious. I was there just after elections and we managed a good rate, guess because business was low. It is worthy trying.

Visited April 2013
Larkspur, California
19 attraction reviews
“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have been to the Bomas of Kenya several times and thoroughly enjoy the cultural show which showcases the dances, songs and music of many of the different tribal groups in Kenya. The show runs for a couple of hours but it is worth it especially if they end with their acrobatics. I can't remember whether they do that at every show but we saw it at the weekday show in September. Then one can walk around to view the bomas (homesteads) of the different tribes seeing what materials they use, depending on the region and their lifestyle. You have to run the gauntlet of a number of curio shops after leaving the bomas!

Visited September 2013
Blyth, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“Good afternoon out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

A really good way to see how all the different tribes build their villages! Tribal dancing was excellent, shame so few were in the auditorium to see them.

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
11 attraction reviews
“A pleasant cultural experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

After experiencing the bush and seeing lots of animals in the countryside, going to Boma in Nairobi at the end of our trip rounded out the Kenya experience. We enjoyed watching the dancers, seeing all the different costumes and listening to the drumming. The dancers were amateurish not dancing terribly in unison nor exhibiting the same energy level, (I am somewhat jaded since I live in NYC) but I enjoyed the experience anyway. What was also fun was watching all the different school children in the audience who had taken class trips there and seeing how they experienced the dance. They were quite well behaved.

Be aware that the show starts exactly on time and if you do not leave enough time to drive there you will be late. For us what should have been a 20 minute drive, became an hours drive. The traffic in Nairobi is ongoing and doesn't seem to let up. Fortunately, we had a driver/guide take us there and so we were able to relax in the back seat of the car.

Visited August 2013

Been to Bomas of Kenya? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Bomas of Kenya, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.