“Took my mother on her birthday” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 43 Attractions in Nairobi
Type: Performances, Specialty Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Each boma (homestead) in this cultural village was built using traditional specifications of myriad Kenyan tribes; through architecture, crafts, music and dance this village serves to preserve Kenyan culture.
Nairobi, Kenya
“Took my mother on her birthday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Bomas of Kenya is a lovely place to go, for foriegners and locals, from all walks of life. It is also a fabulous place to go with family member of all ages. The only thing that is regrettable at time is the delapitated houses that are damaged by rain, and also at times the lacklaster behaviour of the guides. However the traditional dances are great! They are performed at the auditorium which itself is a marvelous work of art. Anyone going out of genuine interest of cultures and music should go, but do not expect a friendly or helpful service.

Visited July 2012

Nairobi
4 attraction reviews
“Very enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

There was a good variety of ethnic dances from different parts of Kenya. The acrobats were excellent. The venue was airy and comfortable. My friend and I enjoyed our visit there.

Visited November 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
13 attraction reviews
“Must See for Cultural History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

See how East Africa was before colonization. Must see for any visit to Nairobi - not just the dances, but the village recreations scattered throughout the property.

Visited May 2012
New York City, New York
14 attraction reviews
“A cultural microcosm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Bomas provides a cultural microcosm on the habitats and dances of the various tribes of people that form a part of Kenya.

The dance performances are scheduled in the afternoons and last about an hour. One can arrive an hour early and spend time visiting the different dwellings that are located withing this place.

Visited December 2011
Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina
3 attraction reviews
“Fun for an afternoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I love anything to do with traditional music,dance, or costumes and I purposely seek out entertainment like this when I travel. I knew I'd like this attraction after reading the reviews and I truly did enjoy the performance. It was more professional than I had expected. I thought the entrance fee was reasonable also. There was only one thing that I did not like. I did not like the craft market on the grounds. I thought the vendors were rather aggressive. I think it would be more professional to have an actual shop near the performance hall. The bomas started looking the same to me after about the 3rd village. But I must say that the exhibits were put together well and it was a rather nice walk between the villages. Go to this attraction if you can spare an afternoon in Nairobi.

Visited October 2012