African Fund for Endangered Wildlife (Kenya) Ltd. - Giraffe Centre
Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$193*
and up
Nairobi National Park, Karen Blixen Museum and...
Ranked #3 of 41 Attractions in Nairobi
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Nature & Parks
Activities: Viewing wildlife
Albuquerque, New Mexico
12 attraction reviews
“I got to pet a giraffe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

What a cool place. Granted the giraffes have been accustomed to human contact. But so what. After doing a safari and being trapped in the van the entire time, it was great to be able to get so close to an animal and actually reach out and touch it. It's Nairobi's must-go-to site.

Visited September 2012

• Polish first
Cairo, Egypt
“Helen the Giraffe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was so much fun! We had a blast and we are grown adults (36 & 59). Kids will enjoy this! The giraffe was very friendly and hungry! The staff made sure everyone had food to give to her. Once they saw a lot of visitors they brought another giraffe out. Great pics!!

Visited December 2012
london
36 attraction reviews
“A must in Nairobi, they are doing a great job”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Firstly, I love giraffe! This centre is actually a breeding centre for the rare rothschild giraffe. They introduce into the wild And are doing a great job.

The centre consists of a raised platform, where upon climbing, you are given a handful of pony nuts to feed them (the staff are not stingy about giving you the nuts, they readily offer you more once you have finished your handful, very handy for me as the first giraffe I fed was rather greedy!). There are staff members on hand to give you the stories of each giraffe, explanation of the breed and giraffe in general, and a history of the centre. Inside the platform, there are some educational boards.

Opposite there is a nature walk, where you can pay a small fee for a guide (we didn't, so didn't quite know what interpretative signs we were seeing, nor did we see any animals (the giraffe are regularly there, as are dik diks and plenty of birds, although I suspect early morning or late evening are best to see these)

All in all we spent an hour there, it's not a half day outing by any means, we did the elephant orphanage and Karen blixen house in the same day, as they were all close by.

It is rather expensive, but I feel totally worth it, and feel the money is being out to good use.

If you are fortunate enough to stay on the property, at giraffe manor, I have read that these giraffe come and share breakfast with you, popping their heads in the windows for the nuts, which I assume would be at other times of the day too!

A great experience!

Visited December 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
3 attraction reviews
“Love love love Giraffes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Although I live in Nairobi, I try and get to the centre once a year and my niece gave me opportunity to do just that. As always was a delightful experience, my niece was trilled as was I. I always put some food inbetween my lips and get the Giraffe to come and get it which they do ever so gently, ok so a bit of slobber is expected but so worth it if you love Giraffes. But do be careful they can head butt and that would hurt.They also have tortoise, and warthogs. A must visit place to see Giraffes up close and learn more about this complex animal. The guides are very informative making it a great place to visit Giraffes.

Visited October 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
45 attraction reviews
“Great Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

You have a chance here to feed the giraffes and kiss them! Great fun and friendly staff. There is also a little cafe to buy refreshments. Clean facilities. Takes an hour (max) but well worth it.

Visited November 2012

Travelers who viewed African Fund for Endangered Wildlife (Kenya) Ltd. - Giraffe Centre also viewed

Been to African Fund for Endangered Wildlife (Kenya) Ltd. - Giraffe Centre? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage African Fund for Endangered Wildlife (Kenya) Ltd. - Giraffe Centre, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.