“Helen the Giraffe” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas
Activities: Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A short self-guided forest hike followed by an up-close encounter with tame giraffes make this a pleasant excursion to the south of central Nairobi.
Cairo, Egypt
“Helen the Giraffe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was so much fun! We had a blast and we are grown adults (36 & 59). Kids will enjoy this! The giraffe was very friendly and hungry! The staff made sure everyone had food to give to her. Once they saw a lot of visitors they brought another giraffe out. Great pics!!

london
33 attraction reviews
“A must in Nairobi, they are doing a great job”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Firstly, I love giraffe! This centre is actually a breeding centre for the rare rothschild giraffe. They introduce into the wild And are doing a great job.

The centre consists of a raised platform, where upon climbing, you are given a handful of pony nuts to feed them (the staff are not stingy about giving you the nuts, they readily offer you more once you have finished your handful, very handy for me as the first giraffe I fed was rather greedy!). There are staff members on hand to give you the stories of each giraffe, explanation of the breed and giraffe in general, and a history of the centre. Inside the platform, there are some educational boards.

Opposite there is a nature walk, where you can pay a small fee for a guide (we didn't, so didn't quite know what interpretative signs we were seeing, nor did we see any animals (the giraffe are regularly there, as are dik diks and plenty of birds, although I suspect early morning or late evening are best to see these)

All in all we spent an hour there, it's not a half day outing by any means, we did the elephant orphanage and Karen blixen house in the same day, as they were all close by.

It is rather expensive, but I feel totally worth it, and feel the money is being out to good use.

If you are fortunate enough to stay on the property, at giraffe manor, I have read that these giraffe come and share breakfast with you, popping their heads in the windows for the nuts, which I assume would be at other times of the day too!

A great experience!

Nairobi, Kenya
3 attraction reviews
“Love love love Giraffes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Although I live in Nairobi, I try and get to the centre once a year and my niece gave me opportunity to do just that. As always was a delightful experience, my niece was trilled as was I. I always put some food inbetween my lips and get the Giraffe to come and get it which they do ever so gently, ok so a bit of slobber is expected but so worth it if you love Giraffes. But do be careful they can head butt and that would hurt.They also have tortoise, and warthogs. A must visit place to see Giraffes up close and learn more about this complex animal. The guides are very informative making it a great place to visit Giraffes.

Visited October 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
“Great Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

You have a chance here to feed the giraffes and kiss them! Great fun and friendly staff. There is also a little cafe to buy refreshments. Clean facilities. Takes an hour (max) but well worth it.

Visited November 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
7 attraction reviews
“Amazing giraffes but mediocre venue”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The Rothschild Giraffes which are to be found here are beautiful animals and the centers existence is a proof of impressive conservation work. Although the giraffes are at liberty to leave the human audience at all times, there is a feel of captivity about the giraffe center. The giraffes are shy animals who move away from the guest at every chance and only come close to stick their long tongues out to capture the snacks which we were generously provided with.
The center is quite expensive at a cost of 10 euros per person and feeding the giraffes are the single activity there. There are no guides or presentations.

Visited December 2012

Been to Giraffe Centre? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Giraffe Centre, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.