“Less than impressed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club

Save Saved
You added Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club to your Saves list
Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Kigwa Road, off Kiambu Road, | P.O. Box 45587, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #26 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
Leominster, United Kingdom
“Less than impressed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My stay here was for two weeks. Honestly I wish I hadn’t. After the first week I had an A4 page full of issues I had with the hotel, which I approached the management with. Issues included such as an unpalatable meal in their fine dine restaurant, a light hanging loose on the wall by the mirror in the room on-suite, noisy events going on till 1am, being told off by a caddy when I was out for a walk on their grounds, etc. etc. Following the talk with management the situation marginally improved.

They had the Great Lakes Conference on at the hotel during my stay, with all the African heads of State, the hotel made no contingency plans for their staying guests. I had to force my way past two African body guards manning the doors, as they were barring me from getting to my room at the end of the day. I then walked straight through the main hotel lobby reception that was full of heads of State and numerous body guards with not the most welcoming of expressions on their faces. But what choice did I have, sit outside the hotel and wait till it finished? I couldn’t even get to the bar without forcing my way in. I wouldn’t have liked to have been there with my kids.

I was in Nairobi for business and at the end of every day I had to come back to the hotel, at the end of the two weeks I couldn’t have left quick enough. If you want to play golf, you'll like the hotel, if you don't like golf stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: You'll be lucky
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was at this Hotel for 2 days for business and its lovely. The grounds are well kept, the service is awesome, the food is great too.
The rooms are nice and comfortable.
I loved the green all over- grass, trees

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My friend's mom was turning 82; so we organized a luncheon. The food was amaziinnggg! The place is beautiful and oh so huge! The staff is great. Service is perfect. I didn't get the chance to check out their rooms though. I bet they are spacious.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

I didn't stay at this property however I always pop tot he Windsor Club whenever I'm in Nairobi. It's a great course to play if golf isn't your thing then the running tracks tend to get used by people in my party (Not me). The pool area is Great this is the most relaxing place in Nairobi.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed at the Windsor with a large group of international friends for our son's wedding. The building is stunning - whilst only 30-40 years old, it transports one to colonial days or the English countryside. Our room was nice, others a bit "tired" but the biggest complaint was VERY LOUD music from a corporate event on the grounds that went "doof doof" until 2 am! Not good. The buffet breakfasts were fine, the casual dining menu wide ranging. I did not mind the food and the catering for the wedding was great. Down side? The front desk staff were unhelpful and seemed very confused by simple tasks. I ended up leaving without paying ( I was returning after a safari) because the cashier was hopeless. Upon return I connected with the lovely Jedidah who had done our original reservations. She kindly sorted everything out but shouldn't have had to. The front desk is the weak link at this hotel; everyone else was pleasant. BUT they really need to do something about loud functions (I have to be careful because we did also have a function but it was over by 12 and not hideously over-amplified). In summary, the Windsor delivered what we needed - a wonderful venue and well catered wedding but it would have been nice to sleep the night before and also to have this inconvenience acknowledged.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Pineville, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Overall, it wasn't a bad stay. The hotel staff were very kind, professional, courteous, and well-dressed.

Checking in was time-consuming. The room was somewhat poorly lit and the wooden floors were creaky and very dusty. Bedding was somewhat outdated and the mattress was like sleeping on cement- I would have moved all the blankets and slept on the floor if it hadn't been so dirty.

The bathroom was an adequate size and had a tub and separate shower. I didn't use the tub. The shower curtain wouldn't close all the way around the shower, so the floor was soaked after showering.

I was grateful that they had complimentary wireless internet service.

I ate there three times- the first was for breakfast outside overlooking the golf course. Please note that it's not a free continental breakfast- they charged me 2200 Kenyan Shillings which was over $20. Don't put honey on your breakfast- the bees come from everywhere and end up in your plate and on your food.

Dinner later by the pool was much more relaxing- I had a really nice steak (for about the same price that the breakfast was). I asked for medium rare, and it was more like medium well, but still very tasty.

Another time I ordered room service- ordered another steak medium rare- it showed up about an hour and a half later and was well-done. I would have sent it back, but it was late.

If you use the business center computers, be prepared to pay about 4-5 dollars. I used it for about 3 minutes to check email (which was unable to do) and they still charged me.

There was no air conditioning in the room, but a loud floor fan is provided. Or if you're brave enough, you can sleep with the window or the door open as the outside temps at night were in the low 70's.

Safety and security at the hotel was good. I hear that it is one of the better hotels in the Nairobi area.

Room Tip: ask for a room with air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Bujumbura, Burundi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I spent three wonderful days at Windsor. Incredibly good to jog with monkeys around you. Nature all around you.
The smile of the staff make you happy.
What else can one desire as accommodation in Nairobi?

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club? Share your experiences!