“A hidden Jewel in the outskirts of Nairobi - paradise for nature, hikers, bikers and Golf lovers” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club

You added Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club to your Saves list
Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Kigwa Road, off Kiambu Road, | P.O. Box 45587, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #27 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I was in this place last week of May. Amazing experience and an absolute seclude for reflection, revival and energetic resting. The hiking trails are super and have beautiful monkeys with white collars feathers. So friendly. The path for biking and bike rentals on site makes this place a paradise for sportive crowd. The 8 hole golf court is amazingly planned over hilly parts of the facility which adorns your eyes with limitless beauty. Spa and the steam room is refreshing and relaxing. When you check in, you will be whisked away to your room by a golf porter car....that was hill orioles for me.....I sent photos of me in that car and all my friends sent a WOW effect reply. Wifi is excellent and that's just what the new world needs:): food is of excellent quality and varieties are available.

Annoyances to be changed by management
1. Television system is old fashioned and not easy to understand. The remote is there but you can get the TV on easily. There is a way to put it on and off that is hard to understand. It was very frustrating. If the technician helps you to put it on, you must remember to memorize how to switch it off otherwise you will have TV on the whole night...annoying. Change to the most upbeat systems for 21st century crowd.

2. Mosquito Net Is missing. In a malaria prone country in Africa it is mandatory to have mosquito nets for customers. The rooms get hot at night and in the absence of AC I was tempted to open windows and enjoy the fresh breeze of the night. First night I was bitten by a mosquito then I had to close windows and suffer the heat. There is a fan but I don't do well with fans as they irritate my nostrils and make me sneeze.

3. Rugs in the rooms need steam washing as they are dusty. I am allergic to dust and I have a habit of checking rugs and carpets before in settle in to be sure they are not dusty. The second day of my stay, I had allergy reaction (watery eyes, sneezing and itchy eyes and ears). I checked the rugs in the room. Upon lifting one rug in my room, I realized that there was a sponge underneath the rug which I don't think had been cleaned since it was placed there. It was very dusty and moldy. Management has to look into this seriously.

4. Tapes are old and hard to operate. Replace with trendy easy to use taps. Also water temperature was very low so if you love hot shower, you will be disappointed.

5. Room service guys need lots of training about how to talk and attend to customers. Every time I ordered ford through room service, I had trouble with the girls who are either on training and don't know what is available and also don't have a clue about customer handling. They were often timid, rude or impatient. It seems that the hotel is giving employment to girls and boys from the community which is a good CSR act but that may cost the credibility of the hotel as customer service is going down...specifically in room service area.

Room Tip: Service and value 4* due to dust! lack of mosquito net and unfriendly/untrained room service team. I...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Marc V, General Manager at Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Z M,

We are glad you enjoyed the facilities we have to offer and also appreciate the time you have taken to review our hotel.

We have taken note of the highlights you have given for they will be handled in the already started renovations of this unique resort.

Asanti sana na karibu tena.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

This was a great place - the rooms were spacious, clean and with all the amenities needed (wifi in the room). They were situated before the huge golf course around which you can go for a run. The gym was also great for some exercise after a long and hard working day. The breakfast was great.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Lukeso,

Thank you for your review and we hope to host you again.

Karibu tena
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

This was a very nice place. The rooms were good, the service was overall good, the food was good, etc. But what was really great was the scenary and the weather. Although I'm not a golfer, if I was, I think I would have enjoyed it even more.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Nerry_Luvs_Travel,

Thank you for your review.

We would recommend for the non-golfers to take advantage of other facilities that we have to offer like mt. biking, tennis. squash, petanque, aqua aerobics, gym facilities and the heated pool. For those who would like to learn how to play golf, we have a resident Golf Professional who can train you as per your availability.

We look forward to you next visit.

Karibu sana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We resided at the hotel over a weekend and it was a welcome experience far from the hustle & bustle of City. The hotel has lovely gardens and well manicured lawns, the golf course is in pristine condition. Best of all the food is fantastic to say the least, well prepared and fresh. I recommend the breakfast any day.

The wifi in the room is good but the cottage can do with some improvement. The decor and fixtures are aging and need to be upgraded. There steel fans in the room make such a racket when switched on and interfere with your sleep especially if you have an infant and the TV has quite a procedure when switching on. Would have preferred a simple on/off switch.

Nevertheless I still recommend a stay in this hotel if not for the rooms but for the excellent menu and service.

Room Tip: The cottages have parking space
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Hillary2012,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel.

We are glad you enjoyed you stay at the hotel. We have embarked on renovating the hotel which will give every guest a memorable experience.

Thank you and welcome again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

I went to the windsor with great expectation only to be disappointed
They did not provide a baby cot for my 7 month old baby neither did they provude a kettle to warm her milk, food etc
The fridge in the room was not working causing my baby's medicine to gi bad
Their rooms are so dirty they do not even vacuum the rags
Their staff are so slow and lazy some even rude..I guess they are demotivated
The food variety especially dessert is so limited
Ocassionaly there was no hot water in the bathroom..
But what irritated me the most is that they are not wheelchair/baby stroller friendly... no ramps whatsoever.
For the amount of money spent here, definitely feel conned
Worst hotel I've stayed in. Would never recomment it to anyone

• Stayed May 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

The rooms need upgrading.
The North wing had no water and I had to be moved to another room. I waited for almost 20 minutes to have a loader carry my belongings to the reception. Shortly thereafter, I was informed that the room I was to move to had been taken. I had to wait for another room- it took another 15- 20 minutes.
I then called housekeeping to request for an iron. First attempt, assuming it was the iron- the housekeeper went to get another. Second, attempt, we realized the sockets were not working! She was so kind by offering to take my clothes for ironing.
Windsor management.....please re-vamp your services!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

My fiance Bruno and I stayed here for a week over the Christmas holidays in 2013 and had an outstanding experience. The service was excellent especially from an older gentleman by the name Edward who was a fantastic and hospitable waiter. What really stole the show though was the magnificent view! The golf course is really well maintained and the expansive grounds are very welcoming to anyone who loves being outdoors.

My fiance is from Paris, France and I live in Manhattan, New York and we travel a lot all over the world both for pleasure and for business and we both think Windsor has a very welcoming aura and a charm that exceeds that of most several five star hotels we've stayed in over the years. Some people may have found the rooms a little outdated but they are in the process of renovating the place so in no time the place will be just PERFECT!!!

We loved it so much that we're planning on having our wedding here at the Windsor Club in December 2014 and we'll recommend that all our guests from abroad stay here. We are super excited and have heard really good things about the general manager Marc as some of our friends who live in Nairobi and their parents are members at this golf club. We will keep you posted on how our wedding goes because this may be a great spot for destination weddings! More to come!

V Kariuki & Bruno F

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club? Share your experiences!