“An average expensive hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club

You added Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club to your Saves list
Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Kigwa Road, off Kiambu Road, | P.O. Box 45587, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #25 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Mombasa, Coast, Kenya
“An average expensive hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The hotel is average on facilities but five star on price.its past its hey day and does require refurbishment.on arrival check in was fast,with a welcome drink .staff were courteous and friendly.i slept on room m 222 next to the hotel lobby after reading previous reviews prior to check in.the reason being that this was a biz trip and wifi signal strength is at peak next to the lobby.room was spacious,with a Victorian type furniture.spotlessly clean but carpet past it's sell by date. Breakfast andlunch lacked variety befitting 5star status.i did not play golf but the course was well kept.all in all there are other hotels with better value for same price.

Room Tip: Next to lobby if you want wifi.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I wouldn't say this hotel was terrible, but it most certainly doesn't live up to it's name of being good, not even close.

I spent 2 nights here when my company put me here for a business trip. The whole building has a sort of run down but wiped with polish feel. Carpets are clearly very old, lots of stains where ever you look, but yet you could tell they are sweeped several times daily. The rest of the building shares this feel. It's like imagine having a very stained dirty shirt that you just washed. It's clean, but it's certainly not pleasant looking.

Front desk employees seemed helpful enough, though I never really needed to use their services. Most of the times they seemed bored out of their minds, perusing the internet or playing with their cellphones.

Now to my room. It was a gueen sized standard room. It was extremely small. 200 square feet or less... The toilet would barely flush!

Also, the noise in this place especially if you stay on the ground level is terrible, however, it didn't come from the other rooms; service personnel

Internet didn't work for me as well. They claimed free wireless and yea it was there, but it never worked steadily enough for me to do anything more than send an email here or there when I could get it to cooperate. Like some other people have said as well, the bed sheets are very thin, and like everything else, really ragged (despite being "clean")

All and all, I would not recommend this place, nor would I want to stay there again... it's one of the older hotels in the area, and it shows. Do yourself a favor and spend more money to stay at a nicer place.

Room Tip: stay away from the ground level if you really have to be accommodated here
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Windsor is grossly overstated in many areas, and it does not have the character, which we associate with a luxury hotel. Began everything with a very dry check in. I as a guest had to say good day and have a surely response. They gave me instructions as in the prison. No please and no thank you. The rooms are average though, but the furnishing is very old. fans provided are a poor joke, they only make noises but dint cool the room!

The mattresses on the beds (double beds only by pushing the single beds possible) are very firm, and little sleep. Bathrobes were (contrary to our expectations) not in the room and had to be requested several times by telephone. In the bathroom the taps ran colored water. Couldn't believe my eyes. My spouse was extremely annoyed and we had to leave the hotel earlier than scheduled

breakfast rush hour at the Windsor's Main restaurant, absolutely over strained however, tried their best to be a friendly team showed full use in setting of tables but service, they had no time. The staff had their way through the restaurant without regard to the guests' service, in order to take account of the massive rush. There were a lot of helpless roaming guests, with full plates capacity to show through the restaurant crept. Very embarrassing for a special class of hotel.

A good golf course, friendly staff especially at the fitness center and an obsolete steam room. Probably a 2 or 3 star hotel

Room Tip: why not try other hotels in the city
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference over two days. Initial room allocated had no T.v signal and I had to debate with staff a few times before they agreed to move me. Food was a hit and miss affair - breakfast buffet sloppily presented with stale pastries throughout. The lunch meal (barbecue) was better, but for dinner at a la carte restaurant I was given a raw t-bone steak that left me with stomach problems.

Finally on checkout, my room key was disabled (I had asked for a slightly later checkout which they had agreed to) and despite four trips to reception they were unable to open my room - finally rescued by security supervisor who opened room with master key and I then just made my taxi pickup !!

Whilst staff were all friendly, they really seem unable to handle any issues that arise from time to time in running a hotel .

The main redeeming feature of this hotel is the superb grounds and spectacular golf course- if only the same attention to detail was applied to the accomodation and food ...

• Stayed May 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I attended a workshop and stayed in a standard room on the lobby level.

An awesome experience at first, breakfast always cheered me up with the assortment of fresh fruits, jams, pastries and juices. The service staff especially the banquet team,was nice and professional.

We however were uncomfortable with the meeting room assigned. Rainwater leaked causing spills to its carpets which soaked and produced an unpleasant smell. After reporting this, a few towels were placed on selected spots to blot off excess water and aerosols were sprayed periodically to alleviate the situation.

complimentary internet access was an added advantage but the snail pace ruined the gesture and purpose. Rooms far from the main building don't receive WiFi signal rather, you are provided with a plug in cable ( no consideration for tablet users).

We consulted with the concierge, and the manager suggested a safari for two of my colleagues and i. A visit to the rift valley and nakuru park was breathtaking and amazing. Our guide was so good and capable. His loyalty to us, revealed that we had actually paid three times the usual amount charged. back at the hotel we asked for a receipt and were told the transaction would appear on our hotel bill and well, it didn't.

On the last evening, we decided to chill out at the pool restaurant. Service was a hit or miss, loved the food! The atmosphere can be loud with lots of TVs often playing sports.

I worked out at the gym just before dinner, we were warmly received and hosted.

Check out was a walk on the moon. Bills were inaccurate, the cashier seemed bothered with our presence and took more than 20minutes to process me ( is this the industry practice?). After the long process, and as the hotel lacks an organized fleet of taxis, we had to stand outside in the cold as they arranged for the cabs which upon arrival appeared old and had severe cosmetic defects.......for a proclaimed 5 star hotel, this is outright reluctance! What happens to those guests who need to catch flights?? my advice, If you are time conscious rather make your own transfer arrangements and possibly commence the check out process, a night before

Room Tip: rooms closer to reception have wiFi
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cape Town, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel which is situated in beautiful surroundings around 30 minutes from Downtown Nairobi.

It has a colonial feel about it and the reception area is very nice with high vaulted ceilings. My bed however was like a slab of concrete, literally, and by far the most uncomfortable sleep I have had in many nights away from home. I was informed the beds were new, however it would seem that the beds were purchased for longevity rather than for comfort. Full marks to the staff though and when I told them I couldn't sleep another night there, they went out of their way to ensure my needs were catered for. They supplied me with 4 thick quilts which alleviated the problem to a certain degree, however, the one thing which is important is a good nights sleep when traveling.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My family and I recently took a vacation . We picked Windsor because of the location, and some positive reviews i had read online

Traveling from Mombasa, we had a great vacation and enjoyed visiting the national park and other sites. We loved it at the gym, swimming pool, and the nature trail. However, we were very disappointed with the services at the hotel

On arrival we found a bouquet of dead flowers(surprise!) and an ashtray full of cigarette butts yet we had specifically reserved non smoking rooms.The rooms had no tea/coffee making facility, the minibars provided were never stocked (an empty non-functioning fridge box;whats the definition of a minibar??). Called the reception desk severally and was finally referred to the duty manager who called back in 2 hours. She had no intention or idea on how to resolve the room situation, and instead was rude and unprofessional in her response.

All rooms have no A/C and instead they would offer a fan, if available. The only other way to air room is to leave your window open during the day. At night, the rooms are to a large extent uninhabitable.

Services were absolutely horrid! I contacted the GM on the last day of our stay, and then I began to see where the poor service permeated from

Room Tip: avoid the cottages
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club? Share your experiences!