“2 star” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club

Save Saved
You added Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club to your Saves list
Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Kigwa Road, off Kiambu Road, | P.O. Box 45587, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #27 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
nairobi
“2 star”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Windsor is grossly overstated in many areas, and it does not have the character, which we associate with a luxury hotel. Began everything with a very dry check in. I as a guest had to say good day and have a surely response. They gave me instructions as in the prison. No please and no thank you. The rooms are average though, but the furnishing is very old. fans provided are a poor joke, they only make noises but dint cool the room!

The mattresses on the beds (double beds only by pushing the single beds possible) are very firm, and little sleep. Bathrobes were (contrary to our expectations) not in the room and had to be requested several times by telephone. In the bathroom the taps ran colored water. Couldn't believe my eyes. My spouse was extremely annoyed and we had to leave the hotel earlier than scheduled

breakfast rush hour at the Windsor's Main restaurant, absolutely over strained however, tried their best to be a friendly team showed full use in setting of tables but service, they had no time. The staff had their way through the restaurant without regard to the guests' service, in order to take account of the massive rush. There were a lot of helpless roaming guests, with full plates capacity to show through the restaurant crept. Very embarrassing for a special class of hotel.

A good golf course, friendly staff especially at the fitness center and an obsolete steam room. Probably a 2 or 3 star hotel

Room Tip: why not try other hotels in the city
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference over two days. Initial room allocated had no T.v signal and I had to debate with staff a few times before they agreed to move me. Food was a hit and miss affair - breakfast buffet sloppily presented with stale pastries throughout. The lunch meal (barbecue) was better, but for dinner at a la carte restaurant I was given a raw t-bone steak that left me with stomach problems.

Finally on checkout, my room key was disabled (I had asked for a slightly later checkout which they had agreed to) and despite four trips to reception they were unable to open my room - finally rescued by security supervisor who opened room with master key and I then just made my taxi pickup !!

Whilst staff were all friendly, they really seem unable to handle any issues that arise from time to time in running a hotel .

The main redeeming feature of this hotel is the superb grounds and spectacular golf course- if only the same attention to detail was applied to the accomodation and food ...

• Stayed May 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I attended a workshop and stayed in a standard room on the lobby level.

An awesome experience at first, breakfast always cheered me up with the assortment of fresh fruits, jams, pastries and juices. The service staff especially the banquet team,was nice and professional.

We however were uncomfortable with the meeting room assigned. Rainwater leaked causing spills to its carpets which soaked and produced an unpleasant smell. After reporting this, a few towels were placed on selected spots to blot off excess water and aerosols were sprayed periodically to alleviate the situation.

complimentary internet access was an added advantage but the snail pace ruined the gesture and purpose. Rooms far from the main building don't receive WiFi signal rather, you are provided with a plug in cable ( no consideration for tablet users).

We consulted with the concierge, and the manager suggested a safari for two of my colleagues and i. A visit to the rift valley and nakuru park was breathtaking and amazing. Our guide was so good and capable. His loyalty to us, revealed that we had actually paid three times the usual amount charged. back at the hotel we asked for a receipt and were told the transaction would appear on our hotel bill and well, it didn't.

On the last evening, we decided to chill out at the pool restaurant. Service was a hit or miss, loved the food! The atmosphere can be loud with lots of TVs often playing sports.

I worked out at the gym just before dinner, we were warmly received and hosted.

Check out was a walk on the moon. Bills were inaccurate, the cashier seemed bothered with our presence and took more than 20minutes to process me ( is this the industry practice?). After the long process, and as the hotel lacks an organized fleet of taxis, we had to stand outside in the cold as they arranged for the cabs which upon arrival appeared old and had severe cosmetic defects.......for a proclaimed 5 star hotel, this is outright reluctance! What happens to those guests who need to catch flights?? my advice, If you are time conscious rather make your own transfer arrangements and possibly commence the check out process, a night before

Room Tip: rooms closer to reception have wiFi
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cape Town, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel which is situated in beautiful surroundings around 30 minutes from Downtown Nairobi.

It has a colonial feel about it and the reception area is very nice with high vaulted ceilings. My bed however was like a slab of concrete, literally, and by far the most uncomfortable sleep I have had in many nights away from home. I was informed the beds were new, however it would seem that the beds were purchased for longevity rather than for comfort. Full marks to the staff though and when I told them I couldn't sleep another night there, they went out of their way to ensure my needs were catered for. They supplied me with 4 thick quilts which alleviated the problem to a certain degree, however, the one thing which is important is a good nights sleep when traveling.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
nairobi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My family and I recently took a vacation . We picked Windsor because of the location, and some positive reviews i had read online

Traveling from Mombasa, we had a great vacation and enjoyed visiting the national park and other sites. We loved it at the gym, swimming pool, and the nature trail. However, we were very disappointed with the services at the hotel

On arrival we found a bouquet of dead flowers(surprise!) and an ashtray full of cigarette butts yet we had specifically reserved non smoking rooms.The rooms had no tea/coffee making facility, the minibars provided were never stocked (an empty non-functioning fridge box;whats the definition of a minibar??). Called the reception desk severally and was finally referred to the duty manager who called back in 2 hours. She had no intention or idea on how to resolve the room situation, and instead was rude and unprofessional in her response.

All rooms have no A/C and instead they would offer a fan, if available. The only other way to air room is to leave your window open during the day. At night, the rooms are to a large extent uninhabitable.

Services were absolutely horrid! I contacted the GM on the last day of our stay, and then I began to see where the poor service permeated from

Room Tip: avoid the cottages
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Orpington England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed in February when attending a wedding Reception at the hotel. Great reception area. Very spacious with lots of polished wood and comfortable furniture. The pool was excellent with plenty of space and atmosphere, with very attentive staff. The staff were very good but the service of food was very slow.

The wedding reception layout down by the lake was a picture and a good time was had by all the guests.

Our room was large and airy, but the lighting was very poor. Reading without my backlit device's would have been difficult. Onother minor problem was the slightly dangerous step down into the shower area. I know I was not the only memeber of our party to trip over this.

The general ambience and location was excellent, and if the kitchen could be speeded up a little, it would be rated excellent.

One thing the management would do well to take note of however, was the "firmness" of the bed. It was like sleeping on a slab of concrete! Again i was not the only one in our group to comment on this.

I would certainly go back to the Windsor, but only after beeing assured that I was going to be given a softer bed.

Room Tip: Find one with a soft bed.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I can't comment on the quality of the rooms, but the hotel is pretty impressive in its Colonial magnificence. The staff I encountered were very good, welcoming and keen to help.

I visited with a resident friend to play golf on their excellent course. There are some challenging holes made more difficult towards the end by fatigue brought on through playing at altitude and some deceptive long climbs to greens. There is an abundance of wildlife and the monkeys do their level best to put you off - my repeated excuse. We certainly had to play through a few groups, which at least made for some excellent photos. Other than the monkeys there are many beautiful birds and, in our group, a shark! - claiming he hadn't played for years.

I would recommend a caddie, as aside from the course being long, their knowledge of the course and ability to carefully critique your play is/was invaluable. The round should be finished with a well earned beer, whilst watching those following you also try to chip onto the 18th green without surrendering their ball into a large piece of water.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club? Share your experiences!