“Small issues.... but a lovely stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club

You added Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club to your Saves list
Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Kigwa Road, off Kiambu Road, | P.O. Box 45587, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #25 of 115 Hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi and Mombasa
“Small issues.... but a lovely stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

There are lots of things to love about this place. We went New Years Eve for a family wedding. The Kenyan Government did the unspeakable on the fireworks by banning them due to "security concerns". The hotel itself is a lovely setting but there were small things they need to improve on.

1. The receptionist was nice and friendly, but there needed to be more people helping on reception when it's busy! 0/5
2. The two miserable faces in the pro shop need to get another job, rather than dealing with customers.
3. Food prices bordered on robbery. The most expensive hotel I've stayed in at the coast was still around two thirds of the prices charged here.
4. Breakfast on New Years Day... Nice food, but the queues at the egg station would indicate the need for more service in that area. The room was terrible with a cold wind blowing through it... and only 10 seat tables (limited) available. Then a hotel staff member was just taking cutlery from the table for no apparent reason. He took the milk jug for my coffee and said he would get me fresh. It never reappeared.
5. My bed was a bit hard and uncomfortable... but that could just be me.
6. Water was a problem new years day. Our room there was hot water but no cold, a relative had cold water but no hot.
7. On Jan 1st we had a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. So they PHONED the room to see when they could come in and clean. Hey! We were there for 2 nights... so why call us in the morning and DISTURB us? It felt like the hotel was run for the benefit of the cleaning staff and not the guests.

Things to do....

It's expensive at 1000 shillings per person, but the bird walk is fun and informative.

Walk up to the start of the 10th Hole where there is a snack bar, to get a quiet drink away from the crowds.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Pietermaritzburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

The hotel is in a lovely setting and has friendly staff. However, give it a miss if you want to work on the internet (it took two days before I was connected); and management believes that it's fine for the hotel to host raucous corporate parties that keep guests awake more than half the night as long as they slip a notice under your door advising that you won't get much sleep - and that they value your patronage. While not sleeping one can't make a cup of tea because none, and no kettle in the rooms. This place is not for me. Ken Harley

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

This is what you can living well. This hotel is in its own class so far.

The facilty is amazing and espcially now with the bypass at the door step?

Great Job Hon. Michuki and your family.

Room Tip: Any room you are good to go as long as you are at the Windsor. Just decide to enjoy
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Modena, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Me and my wife have been for one night in this hotel in Nairobi last August during a one night stop in Kenya. The hotel is very nice but appear to be a bit dated. Probably from the time it has been built, no major changes has been done and to me it look a bit "old fashion". I have to say that the service is great, anything is clean and the room are very nice and big enough, even if again a bit dated. We had dinner in the restaurant of the hotel and we both appreciate the food and the service.

Room Tip: I'm not sure that all the rooms has a view on the golf course, in any case I would suggest to as...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Kimanijm, E-Commerce Co-ordinator at Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Thank you for taking time to give us your feed back on this platform,
The Windsor Golf Hotel was opened in 1992 and the architecture adopted was the Victorian Style thus the look. We are grateful that you appreciate our services and food, our Chef is always working to prepare and present all variety of foods for our guests selection.
And for the sake of clarification, all our rooms over look the golf course.

We look forward to hosting you again.
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I attended a conference at the hotel 13-15 Sept 2011. The hotel is located in a lovely setting. The hotel facilities are well maintained.
The bathrooms are spotlessly clean. The rooms are spacious and clean. Bedding is very heavy and not modern. The curtains are thick and not easy to close or open. The curtains also feel sticky. It was nice to walk out of your room into an outside passage, rather than a hotel passage. This brings you close to nature and you can enjoy the wonderful weather so much quicker and at any time.
The conference facility does not have the standard modern equipment you will find in other facilities today, but this does not hamper you from delivering an effective conference.
The staff at the reception is friendly and well trained. So is the cleaning staff.
The service at the breakfast and dining facilities are not up to standard.
1) the breakfast facility is not ideal: its to small, not enough seats, cramp dish-up space and tables are not cleared quick enough;
2) staff are slow to respond to service requests: it takes long to receive a cup of coffee on your table, to get a re-fill take time, to get a baked egg is slow and egg never comes as ordered;
3) staff does not understand an order;
4) staff is not always visible to respond to a request for service.

A lovely hotel, but service can improve.

Room Tip: Preferably a room rather that a cottage. The cottages are to far to walk.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your time to make your feedback known to us.
We are working to make our accommodation facilities more comfortable for all our guests.
We are also upgrading our conference facilities to meet our clients conferencing needs.

As for our service delivery we're working to ensure improved and effective service for all our guests.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I've stayed at the Windsor twice, most recently for 2 weeks as part of a large group. My rating is due to the appalling treatment I suffered on checking out of the hotel. I complained that the hotel's dry cleaning service had melted my suit jacket several days before I was due to leave the hotel. The material was burned and melted in a strange circle pattern which I presume was a result of a spray that was used during the dry cleaning process. I raised the issue again on check out and was left waiting in the lobby for almost 2 hours before anyone took any notice. Eventually, the manager saw me and said that because I had requested an iron for my room during my trip, I had obviously burned the suit myself and was seeking to blame the hotel. I was absolutely outraged at the accusation that I had deliberately ruined one of my own suits. I also attempted to explain that it would have been impossible to create the melted patterns on my suit jacket using the hotel's iron. In any event, the manager insisted I pay the amount which I had been charged to have my suit burned and he refused to discuss the matter further. I was absolutely disgusted by the way I was treated by the manager and his staff. I would not recommend that anyone use the hotel's laundry/dry cleaning service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
We regret the occurrence of this unfortunate incident due to a misunderstanding and hope this will not occur again.
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

We were here for a wedding of a relative. The grounds are superbly kept and the hotel is spotlessly clean. Despite having 2 weddings in the hotel there wasn't noise to keep any sleepy ones awake. Extra dark curtains ensure this as well. They need to work on the mix ups at the front desk with bills. Its not funny to be slapped with a $10,000 bill in the morning that doesn't belong to you. The food could also be better. Overall nice cozy hotel

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Windsor Golf Hotel and Country Club? Share your experiences!